Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 563.

• I only run smart tests manually, when I intend to actually look at them. I never run them automatically. It might be once per month or so. Or even less often. The smart tests are good for early warning before the drive fails totally. I used to run tests daily but stopped. I don't really care about early warning. If the drive fails it fails. I run OMV on several single drive SBC NAS. I have good backups and redundant servers. It might be a different story if you run a big raid array with many dri…

• As long as you just shutdown and disconnected as described, it should work. I shutdown now and then and there are no problems at all. What you describe is not any different. So I assume something more has happened that you are not telling us or isn't aware of. Perhaps some changes in the network or some new device using the same IP? It is a good idea to reboot after a fresh install, followed by a full update, to verify that everything works and the system boots OK. I typically shutdown to backup…

• odroid HC2 btrfs 32bit 8TiB limitation

Adoby - - General

Actually 8TB is close to the sweetspot for TB/cost. It might even be on the lower end if you factor in the costs of all the hardware needed to get the storage available on a network. If you also factor in stuff like work, power, space, cooling and reliability then 8 TB definitely is on the lower end. I prefer 12TB drives at the moment. This 8-12 TB sweetspot is there both for 32 and 64 BIT, I suspect. ARM or x86.

Adoby - - General

Why not simply test it yourself? Before using it in "production"! What stops you from testing it? If subvolumes won't do, then normal partitions will. So if a 8TB volume is big enough, then everything should be fine! Or just use a 8TB drive. I very much doubt that subvolumes on a volume bigger than 8 TB will work on 32 bit as you want it to work. But without a test, who knows?

Adoby - - General

I haven't tested. But as I understand it the btrfs filesystem on 32 bit is fine with >8TB volume. "Only" some tools will stop working. Why not simply test it and see if subvolumes fix it? If not, you can always partition old-school. Or use EXT4. Please report back if it works or not.

• What is the purpose the home folder

Adoby - - General

No. Don't backup a home folder on one computer to a home folder on another. There may be many settings in hidden files and folders that will be overwritten and this could totally bork your user settings. Backup (or sync) your home folder to a share with space for backups on the nas.

• What is the purpose the home folder

Adoby - - General

Home folders is where you can store your personal files and settings. This can be local per computer or centrally for the whole network. Or not at all. It is a special share that is unique to the username. Typically /home/username. The user root always get a home folder in /root. In big networks with many users it is common that users get their own central home folder /home/username mounted over the network the same regardless what computer they log in to. Then the computer they happen to use th…

• How do I install OMV on Ubuntu?

Adoby - - General

How to install OMV on Ubuntu: Install OMV, with Debian, as a VM under Ubuntu.

• Quote from Thiswatch: “This does sound like a good idea with the exception of tkaiser's point: what if the disk fails? ” Then you can still access your files from the backup server, while you revive or replace the failed drive. You can even reconfigure the backup HC2 to fully replace the failed server, since you have full hardware redundancy. No difference from a drive failure on a single drive server without redundancy. If it is really important data you most likely have secondary offline backu…

• A two SATA SBC NAS with a slot for nvme ssd would be great. But for me to buy one it would also need more RAM than 4GB and really good software support. Otherwise I might just as well keep using my HC2s like now. 16-32 GB RAM, or even more, would be nice for running plenty of dockers and having plenty of disk caches as well. Actually, with enough extra RAM I would skip the nvme ssd. Perhaps slots for extra RAM?

• Quote from tkaiser: “IOnce there's data corruption on either OMV host you need to copy data over from the other instance. ” I don't like the manual task of copying over data. The combined automated bitrot detection AND silent/automatic correction is what makes btrfs interesting for me. Without that I might just as well use ext4, syncs, hardlink and checksums. I am already testing/writing software to do the ext4/sync/hardlink/checksum thing, but that only runs like a backup job. This is for a slo…

• If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. Btrfs can then use this duplicate data to automatically and transparently fix any bitrot errors. And then, as suggested above, use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions. I haven't tried this setup, but it should be possible to configure using btrfs and it should work fine and give extremely secure storage for …

• No idea. I don't use Windows at all. But I assume there are plenty of nice windows sd card cloning software. Try google for "clone sd card windows".

• Flashmemory Plugin

Adoby - - Plugins

Restore the root fs from backup. Or reinstall from scratch. It is always a very good idea to backup the root fs before trying something new... Most likely it is possible to fix the problem in some much less drastic way, but I have no idea how.

• System partition full (newbie)

Adoby - - General

You could try to clean the rootfs by removing the SD card and delete (or save) the contents of /sharedfolders folder on the SD car, using some linux computer. Possibly a windows computer, with a SD card reader that you booted from a USB stick with Ubuntu Linux on it. Or boot from a SD card and delete the contents of /sharedfolders folder on emmc.

• disk system out of order

Adoby - - General

The old data disks should be detected by the new system. You just need to mount them and recreate the shares and reactivate the services that use these shares.

• Btrfs advice on Odroid HC1/HC2

Adoby - - General

From a data recovery or safety perspective there is no reason to prefer ext4 over btrfs. However ext4 may still be a little faster and have wider support. Since btrfs can do much more than ext4 you need to actually learn new stuff to actually make use of those extra features. I still use ext4 on my HC2s... If you often have problems with the power supply you should use a UPS. I don't. I have never had any problems with a corrupted filesystem after a power failure or after simply pulling the plug…

• Best choice for NAS? Intel/AMD?

Adoby - - My NAS Build

I use ARM instead of both Intel or AMD. One ARM32 Odroid HC2 OMV NAS + one single 12TB Ironwolf HDD draws around 10W and provides similar (or better) performance as a file server. Both Intel and AMD should work perfectly fine. Or ARM... Your preferences and needs should decide. Price/performance/power/features/availability. Typically it is the features provided by the motherboard in combination with the CPU that is important. Not the CPU in itself. Size? Need noisy fans? Support for how many SAT…

• Skip rsync. Simply connect the PC to the NAS and copy the files over. Or if the client is a Linux PC, simply run "rsync -a source destination" over SSH or a mount. Or if the PC is a Mac or Windows PC, install grsync or some other rsync program and figure out how to use it. opbyte.it/grsync/

• Well, then a and b could be separate filesystems, both separately mounted at /sharedfolders. Not hardlinks. Since I have never had more than one shared folder, I never noticed that. KISS. When I move files around in my single shared folder it is always instantaneous. If you are sure you don't want or need instantaneous moves, then keep copying between two different filesystems. Try doing a search for something like: "how do I check if two files are on the same filesystem" for more information on…