Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Can't install OMV on NanoPi M4

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ivan.vaskevych: “No HDMI output ” If you do a simple web search for No HDMI output nanopi m4 you end up here: Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working -- no HDMI output is to be expected with the image, simply use it headless (and after applying all updates you get HDMI output). Quote from crashtest: “With a good 3 Amp PS and a typical 1 meter USB cable (which has thin gauge wires), under-voltage messages are noted in dmesg ” The usual @crashtest BS as almost always. The NanoPi M4 is not a Rasp…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Why didn't you just say "Can you upload this to SF?" ” How could I ask you for anything? According to reason N°1 why I won't continue contributing to OMV I'm just some random forum user and not the creator and maintainer of the current RPi image. Also the image is 'BETA', everything is expected to be broken and OMV-Extras is not ready yet! It's not that I just carefully added the few bits to provide hardware support for the RPi 4 and a maintained kernel and everything els…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “You keep saying your image is going away ” Those transfer.sh links usually are only valid for 14 days. The first attempt to add RPi 4 hardware support is already gone: transfer.sh/wKK4S/OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz Well, if you think throwing the work into the bin is the better idea compared to uploading it to SF...

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Read what I said. I didn't say it had anything to do with OMV 5.x. I said I don't want to do it. I mentioned OMV 5.x because it is more important for me to spend my time on it and I don't even want to do that. ” Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. Anyway this New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images still applies.

• BTRFS system

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from ness1602: “By default, metadata will be mirrored across two devices and data will be striped across all of the devices present. This is equivalent to mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid0. btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.ph…rfs_with_Multiple_Devices ” Nope, that's about btrfs behavior with multiple devices without RAID. I linked to github.com/openmediavault/open…01#issuecomment-467000104 above for a reason. Since there everything is explained by a kernel developer in the link provided there: mail-…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “I barely want to do anything with OMV 5.x stuff let alone more hacks specifically for the RPi ” Final remark: This is not about OMV 5. This is about support for the existing OMV user base on any of the Raspberry Pi variants from 2 to 4.

• So, let's outline what's necessary with OMV on the RPi. For any other developer willing to waste his time in this idiotic/toxic environment here this might save you at least some initial time... Situation as follows: 1. RPi Trading Ltd. switched their official support away from Debian Stretch to Debian Buster some weeks ago. This not only affects Raspbian users but also 'consumers' of their kernel like OMV. Our approach is to combine a rather clean upstream Debian armhf userland (created by the …

• raspberry pi 4 install?

tkaiser - - General

Quote from crashtest: “The image is not my creation. (It's the product of a forum SBC savant.) The purpose of it was for testing but, again, it may work for you. I simply provided a link to the image because time is short ” You really can't stop your idiotic behavior, right? @ReonBalisty: the image @crashtest linked to is from here: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images It's the official RPi image with added hardware support for the RPi 4 and an adjustment allowing to combine our userland (De…

• BTRFS system

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from crashtest: “mkfs.btrfs -f -d raid5 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd ” BS advice as almost always. I explained to you (flmaxey) and others already over at 'this thread' that adding -m raid1 is the way to go since this will protect metadata or 'the filesystem itself'. You should really start to learn at least the basics.

• Quote from crashtest: “I do a short test on all drives once a week, afterhours. I believe that's enough to increment the counts on the "maybe it's time to worry" SMART attributes ” Wrong. If you want to increase «the counts on the "maybe it's time to worry" SMART attributes» you need to run a long test. The difference is - short test: tests electronics (vendor specific), servos/motors (vendor specific), does some limited surface tests, finishes within 2 minutes - long test: the 2 min limitation …

• User can only access one share

tkaiser - - AFP

Quote from crashtest: “I'm going to assume that the usernames and passwords that you entered into OMV, for you and your wife, are identical - cap's and all, to the usernames and passwords that you're using to logon to your clients. If they're not the same, make them the same, and be sure to access shares from those same clients. ” The usual @crashtest BS 'advice'. I still hope that one day you will stop your idiotic behavior refusing to learn so one more time: this is not necessary on any OS. Fo…

• User can only access one share

tkaiser - - AFP

Quote from jgbrock: “I decided to try using Apple Filing instead of Samba (mostly because Samba never seems to be very stable... ” Samba is stable, if you run into issues on an RPi you should be aware that it's almost always either power supply or SD card related (search the forums, especially read the threads that are linked to from the readme.txt at the download location). As for your issues: OMV ships with sane defaults. You can create two or more users and OMV takes care that they're all mem…

• Quote from crashtest: “The image linked above is a BETA. Please try to understand what that means. It means that while the core functions are there, users can expect things to be broken, that the image is for testing purposes only. Similarly, trying to build onto a BETA install using OMVExtras plugin's, that may not be ready, can't be expected to work ” The usual @crashtest BS. As almost always you understand close to nothing but continue to sabotage development work The image I provided is my o…

• Quote from KM0201: “although some report with more recent kernels they work fine ” What I did in the past was mentioning that recent silicon works just fine. There were numerous occasions of Realtek bashing where I stepped in asking from which decade the concerns were and that there are no reports of recent RTL8111G or RTL8111H showing the same hassles as older and totally different Realtek NICs also with an RTL8111 or RTL8168 in their name. IMO the appropriate approach to deal with 'Realtek' is…

• Raspberry pi 4 OMV ???

tkaiser - - Announcements

Quote from KM0201: “since there will be no official port of Debian Stretch (which omv 4 is based on) for the Pi 4, it seems unlikely there will be an official omv 4 port for the Pi 4 ” Huh? Part of the developer work I contributed here was based on dealing with the unfortunate RPi situation, providing an OS base that is not dependent on Raspbian (or Raspbian version) allowing to run OMV with the appropriate userland (Jessie with OMV3, Stretch with OMV4, the story could be continued) and combinin…

• ZFS settings

tkaiser - - RAID

Quote from crashtest: “To achieve a close approximation of posix (Linux) permissions, I use the following on the CLI. zfs set aclinherit=passthrough ZFS1 zfs set acltype=posixacl ZFS1 zfs set xattr=sa ZFS1 ” 100% wrong. Posix (Linux) permissions are not related to those ZFS settings that are about ACLs. And setting those ACL related ZFS prefs is mostly useful if you configure Samba in a compatible way to assign ACLs from a Windows Client in Windows Explorer. But what to expect from someone who c…

• Quote from bmel: “So I got OMV 4 working on rpi4 using the upgrade instructions I posted earlier in this thread (upgrade 4.x stretch image to buster) ” This is the wrong way and will break anyway. It needs 'apt pinning' to get RPi 4 support on Debian Stretch as shown already (there exists an OMV4 image for RPi 4 on transfer.sh which will disappear automatically within 12 days: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images) I won't continue contributing to OMV until the @crashtest problem is resolved.…

• Quote from serkan190: “I think we need to update the usb driver (For fluctuating speed) ” I can not reproduce this here. And it doesn't matter whether you're using OMV4 or OMV5 since the relevant part (drivers) lives in the kernel which is the same on both variants. This is new hardware and as such it needs some time until software support will stabilize. Two related topics: - Decreasing idle consumption and temperatures - DMA coherent pool size needs to be increased (will be part of next RPi ke…

• Still explore ZRAM

• Questions about zfs snapshot guide

tkaiser - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Your opinion of people in the US is very clear ” Not at all... the people from the US I met are awesome (I live in Munich BTW). Back to the issues...