Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 27.

• Need advise planning new NAS

diego - - General

Quote from fk1: “I have already written some data into Storage. If I use main folder names as datasets I have to set another folder for SMB share. therefore I dont feel like to do tank0/Media/media etc. hope its not that bad of a problem. anyways, here is the ls -la, seems to be fine to me: Source Code (11 lines)” Ok, plan your datasets the way you feel it. I usually create many small datasets instead of just a few big ones: easier to backup, manage, apply different quotas or whatever. You can r…

diego - - General

First, I'd make a dataset tank0/Media and another one called tank0/Storage. Destroy tank/dataset0 if it's empty or rename it to something meaningful. If I recall correctly (it's been almost 20 years since I last had to deal with samba shares), you have to give permissions to user to access a share (and you did), but that user has to be able to read (and/or write) the directory the share points to. So run ls -al /tank0 To show owners and permissions to the directories you are trying to share.

diego - - General

You were doing sequential reads, zfs spans them over your four disks, and data was written sequentially also, so you got a best-case scenario. You couldn't hear the disks because WD are quite silent and the heads were not waving back and forth, just jumping from one track to the next one. Zfs uses (by default) up to half of RAM for cache (called ARC). It's clever enough to realize that there's no gain caching a big sequential read. It uses LRU+LRU cache algorithms to achieve it. Anyway, you coul…

• Print server

diego - - General

Yes, I did it. No issues. Piece of cake.

diego - - General

Even if they emulate 512 byte sectors, keep ashift=12. Most times zfs realize the native sector size and will do ashift=12 by default, but if it doesn't, it will hurt performance. And yes, it ready instantly. Zfs knows which sectors are in use and which are not, so no need to sync everything in advance.

diego - - General

It was a waste of time.

• Print server

diego - - General

Use CUPS for printer sharing. It's the way to do it.

diego - - General

Quote from fk1: “you convinced me to install zfs @diego now I was just wiping securely all my 16tb for hours, installed omvextras and zfs and now I cant see how to do a raid10 in zfs, only options are basic/mirrored/zraid1/2/3 thought I make two mirrored pools and then stripe those two pools and get what I want but not possible. How please? e: i think i figured out: mirroring under normal raid management first and then create a basic raid of the two mirrored pools in zfs plugin!? ” Forget RAID. …

diego - - General

Quote from fk1: “question is: why? and isnt this somewhat of a problem without ecc ram? ” Answer is: Because ZFS is more stable and more mature and more flexible than btrfs hands down. No problems like btrfs' raid-5 or raid-6 data destroying. No raid 5 write-hole. If you use ECC, it guarantees no silent data corruption due to end-to-end checksumming. If you don't, then it's not perfect, but it's still better than any other filesystem. ZFS is Copy-on-write, ZFS is transactional, supports data com…

diego - - General

Btrfs? Better go ZFS

• Debian 10 - OMV 4.x

diego - - Updates/Upgrades

I have a VM with debian 9, OMV 4 using ZFS as root filesystem. I use it mostly for testing, so I upgraded it to debian 10 a few days ago and I had no problems. YMMV.

• openmediavault-letsencrypt

diego - - Plugins

After comparing last generated certificate hash agaisnt every private key hash I could find under /etc/letsencrypt using openssl pkey -in privateKey.key -pubout -outform pem | sha256sum openssl x509 -in certificate.crt -pubkey -noout -outform pem | sha256sum I've found the private key at /etc/letsencrypt/keys/000X_key-certboot.pem I've copied it and renamed acordingly and now everthing works fine. I wonder if it's a certbot bug...

• openmediavault-letsencrypt

diego - - Plugins

Quote from Gerald: “Just realized today that my certificates have expired and haven't been renewed - guess I missed the code change requiring now to set up the domains separately (I am now with OMV-letsencrypt version 3.4.5). Okay, managed that but I am still getting this error. I found forum threads already for that, but obviously no clear solution: nginx: [emerg] SSL_CTX_use_PrivateKey_file("/etc/ssl/private/openmediavault-0ca13d90-4f73-4554-890d-6d5221f9a68c.key") failed (SSL: error:0B080074:…

• Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

diego - - Plugins

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from diego: “I think openvpn should be replaced with openconnect. ” Feel free to port the openvpn plugin or create a new plugin that uses it. Not getting much plugin dev help lately and I don't use openvpn making it hard to do this. ” Challenge accepted

• Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

diego - - Plugins

Quote from g2_ufo: “Wireguard vpn wireguard.com/ ” Is it better than openconnect? infradead.org/openconnect/ I think openvpn should be replaced with openconnect. Free, packaged for Debian (ocserv) since jessie-backports, easy to setup, no simultaneous connection limit, and it has clients for almost every platform you can think of: Linux (CLI or GUI), windows, MacOS, IOS, and Android, and maybe some more.

• MySQL Plugin Feature Request

diego - - General

I use automysqlbackup package for database backup and rotation. Try it, it's very easy to set up

• Never used SeaTools, but you can run SMART tests from GUI, under "Storage"->"S.M.A.R.T." You can also test every block of an unmounted disk using badblocks -s -n -v /dev/sdX in command line.

• I'd go for ext4 filesystem over mdadm raid. mdadm allows creating "degraded" arrays, so you can build a raid 5 volume with just two drives (check "missing" parameter in mdadm man page), copy data from ntfs drive to it, and then wipe ntfs disk and then add it to the array . Later on you could add another drive to the array to expand it and then grow the ext4 filesystem in it. There's another option: ZFS. Pools, deduplication, snapshots... More complex for a begginer (IMHO) and quite RAM-hungry. 8…

• Solved. Thank you, ryecoaaron

• Source Code (3 lines)