Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from crashtest: “Almost every conceivable server add-on, other than an actual hypervisor, is available as a Docker. ” Actually, you can run qemu/kvm inside docker ” Something seems "eerily" familiar about a comment like that. I was thinking of a type 1 hypervisor like Proxmox or ESXi, but I suppose KVM crosses the type 1 line as well.

• Quote from danzirulez: “1. Actually I don't think UnionFS is that important. Mostly convenience... Perfectly happy with multiple shares as long as I can keep my data safe - be it the important files or just movies. And then safety would be taken care of by SnapRaid. 2. Docker in itself is a huge plus comparing OMV to XigmaNAS. ” 1. I agree with you here. It's just not that much trouble to spread network shares over a few disks. But note that data safety doesn't get much better than it is with a …

• You could keep the zmirror, but I wouldn't put it in a UnionFS pool. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I don't know, but I wouldn't do it. ZFS is fine on it's own but when it comes to adding volume management over top of a zpool, which already has integrated volume management, it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Also, SNAPRAID is best used with a simple file system like EXT4 or XFS. ___________________________________________________________ The reason why I asked about files and sizes: A lot …

• When it comes to SBC's there are only a few things to go wrong - ranked in order of probability: SD-card , first on the list. (Get a new one and a good one, like SANDISK. No generics.) Power Problems - for R-PI's it's usually due a long USB cable with thin wires and/or a weak supply. (I didn't see any indication of undervoltage in dmesg) Peripheral Hardware (With exceptions for known good chip sets, USB to SATA bridges are suspect.) The R-PI itself (Fairly rare.) ________________________________…

• Quote from danzirulez: “And also I hear that USB pendrive is not best practice to have the system on. ” There is nothing wrong with using USB thumbdrives as a boot drive. I'm been using them on two different boxes, for years, and haven't had a failure yet. (I've been using 16 and 32GB drives - preferably USB3). The only requirement is installing the flashmemory plugin, for longer drive life. On the other hand, if you want to use external disks or an SSD, there's nothing wrong with that either. Q…

• Clone Micro SD card fails

crashtest - - Updates/Upgrades

Quote from Thomas126: “Best would be if possible in Windows... ” There's an SD-card cloning process in this -> guide, starting on page 76, that works in Windows. (Page 75 may be worth a read.) But this process goes from card, to image file, to another card, to create a clone. Using a DD image as the source won't work.

• I don't use it, but, Nextcloud has provisions for setting up shares and sync'ing between devices. PC clients (Windows, Mac, Linux), tablets, phones (apple, andriod), etc. The same can be done with OMV, but there might be a bit more work in it.

• OMV vs Cockpit

crashtest - - General

Quote from jollyrogr: “I'm running pi-hole in a VM as well - in vbox within OMV. I was thinking i'd like to move it to an actual rpi at some point ” Diet-PI does good job of running Pi-hole on an R-PI, and it installs from their software installer. And Pi-hole will run fine, get this, on an R-PI2. You might even be able to shoehorn another useful server process into the works. I ran that for awhile, but had some issues with old and well used SD-cards. I need to set that up again. If I'm not mist…

• Plex and OMV

crashtest - - General

First, if your Docker containers are on your boot drive (the default location), uncheck anything you have set in User/Group permissions and use Extra Options only. _______________________________________________ How about your other regular shares? Any problems there? And when you access content with Plex GUI, is that working?

• Plex and OMV

crashtest - - General

There are no Gods here. (But we did have someone who was, arguably, from the bad place. ) You've set "privileges". This is not file and folder permissions. (I know this is confusing.) You need to use the "ACL" button. There you'll find two fields - Extra Options and User/Group permissions (in OMV3 and 4). Extra options are traditional Linux permissions - where User/Group permissions are ACL's. If Docker containers are running from the default location, the boot drive, only traditional Linux perm…

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

crashtest - - Plugins

Quote from AndrewZ: “@crashtest, found this - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plug…avault-snapraid/issues/14 and your comment there "I'm fine with the /etc/default/ file and that should allow your changes to survive upgrades" It seems that was never implemented : ” Again, my regrets for being misleading. I was under the (false/untested) impression that omv-mkconf snapraid would integrate manual changes to the snapraid config file. I would still try an include (*.bak) statement in the GUI. From what I'…

crashtest - - Plugins

Quote from crashtest: “The path is /etc/snapraid.conf Universal excludes can be done there. ” My regrets, @'AndrewZ' I meant to test this yesterday, but got busy. When the first "on demand" update is triggered, changes at this location are wiped.

• Adding to what @geaves has said (apologies for butting in.), are you fully up-to-date? SSH into your R-PI and scroll through the output of dmesg. You do not want to see anything related to "undervoltage" detected.

• Most problems and issues related to SD-cards can be avoided by having at least 2 SD-cards, and cloning the working card.

crashtest - - Plugins

Quote from AndrewZ: “What is the right way to override the default exclude list? Should this be done in /etc/default/snapraid? ” The path is /etc/snapraid.conf Universal excludes can be done there. ____________________________________ It's also possible in the GUI as follows: forum.openmediavault.org/index…c5aecc3f29ce6dc503de7ca25 (In this case, I chose a protected drive and excluded *.tmp files.)

• Quote from geaves: “This could be anything, but first off turn off Local Master Browser in SMB/CIFS ” I edited the Win10 Connect How-To, to reflect the need to turn off Master Local Browser.

• SBC suggestion for a mail server

crashtest - - General

Quote from uga: “Will a free ssl certificate (such as one gotten through letsencrypt) be "enough" in terms of safety? ” Since it's one's own mail server, I believe any valid SSL cert might do it, to include one that's self generated. (I think. ) _______________________________ Never having run a mail server, this is idle speculation: While virus detection is usually handled by the client side, it doesn't hurt to have at least some capability on the server side as well. It's SPAM rejection, as in…

crashtest - - General

It looks like a mail server/Docker for ARM architectures, is out the window. Some of these packages, like Zimbra and Kolab seem to be just too damxed complicated. They're more along the lines of "Groupware". So it seems that ease of maintenance, with a reasonable set of features is more appropriate. Of candidates that fit that description, Rainloop and Iredmail are supported by Docker and are getting updates. Iredmail seems more secure but a bit more complicated compared to Rainloop. Rainloop is…

crashtest - - General

This might be worthwhile. The key would be finding a desirable mail server/Docker, that is compatible with both X86 and ARM, and is popular enough to where the author updates it on a regular basis. I'm looking....

• Snapraid Sync

crashtest - - General

You'll need to SSH into the command line of your server with an SSH client like PuTTY OR use something like WinSCP to navigate to the file and open it up for review. How to do that is in this guide. Look at the utilities, PuTTY and WinSCP and consider installing both. There's a walk through for setting them up and using them. (They will be useful to you at some point.)