Search Results

Search results 1-11 of 11.

• Thank you, will read the thread. Actually I don't think UnionFS is that important. Mostly convenience... Perfectly happy with multiple shares as long as I can keep my data safe - be it the important files or just movies. And then safety would be taken care of by SnapRaid. Also, OMV has CrashPlan in docker, which I have been using for years now. And one of some other reasons to move away from XigmaNAS. The other being emby, cos Plex is a constant bother. Docker in itself is a huge plus comparing …

• Quote from crashtest: “The number (and size) of disks is driven by the amount of data to be stored. As a matter of personal preference, I like to start with a storage fill rate between 25 to 50%. This allows room for growth. At 75%, I'm looking to add more storage. When considering the number of disks, setting 1 parity disk means you can recover 1 drive. This may be enough for your needs. If you're running older drives, stay on top of them with automated SMART tests. But when the number of disks…

• Hello OMV folks, I am testing OMV on my old N40L HP Microserver, and plan to move from XigmaNAS after using that for over 8 years (!) I was hoping to find a calculator to put all the numbers into it that would spit out the best way to set the drives up with SnapRaid and UnionFS/mergerfs. I am moving from 3 datadisks: - 2x2 Tb WD Red EFRX in ZFS Mirror (1.5 Tb used) - 1x3 Tb WD Red EFRX UFS (no redundancy) (2.6 used) Old disks lying around, just burn testing them with this script to see if they a…

• UnionFS + SnapRaid concept

danzirulez - - General

okie doc, duly noted... might stick to the pendrive solution and just image that. as far as I read on around here about it, 16 gig quality pendrive seems plenty for everything.

danzirulez - - General

Quote from gderf: “Quote from danzirulez: “ - gderf has a USB saving script.. actually about to use the internal USB port with a USB-connected HDD, have a few of those lying around.. this frees up some space. Although imaging this would be a bit of a pain ” Actually, shouldn't be a pain. My OMV runs from a 16GB SSD mounted in an external USB case plugged into a USB port. This is the drive that my script images. You just need to properly determine the device name to use as the source device for t…

danzirulez - - General

Many thanks, I am testing OMV and extremely excited to see: - Emby in a docker - Cockpit running - Pi-Hole in a docker - snapraid and mergerFS Couple of ToDo's: - gderf has a USB saving script.. actually about to use the internal USB port with a USB-connected HDD, have a few of those lying around.. this frees up some space. Although imaging this would be a bit of a pain - burntest some old disks just for the heck of it - based on this article blog.linuxserver.io/2018/10/29/new-hard-drive-rituals…

• Samba saying disk is full

danzirulez - - CIFS/SMB

ok, I created four ~256 megs drives for testing in VirtualBox... but the unionFS reserves 4 gig space haha... nice find after digging a little bit... I think this should be the culprit... RTFM and also read the options on the screen I guess..

• Samba saying disk is full

danzirulez - - CIFS/SMB

Hello guys, Struggling with a VirtualBox OMV just testing things out. I have a 4 disk snapraid config with the 3 data disks being unionFS'd and shared via samba. I had troubles figuring the unix permission on the actual path in the code below, but for now at least renaming a file works. However, adding files is giving me disk full error in OS X... that's funky, the disks do have free space. It must be something obvious I am overlooking, but just cannot figure it out. Any help would be appreciate…

danzirulez - - General

oh, ok, so UnionFS is really a userspace convenience to see multiple disks mounted in one big 'folder' that can then be shared in just a single provider. e.g. - DiskA has all the music - DiskB has all the movies Share01 is a unionFS of of the two disks shared via Samba and so the client can see a both the music and the movies in one single share.. Now, with SnapRaid I would have a third drive... DiskC for parity? Assuming DiskA and DiskB changes quite rarely... say I am adding only 1-2 albums an…

danzirulez - - General

well that would be no reason to leave XigmaNAS I am always interested in other solutions and wish to deepdive and understand OMV as well

danzirulez - - General

Dear Gurus, I have searched google quite a bit but still couldn't find any conceptual overview of how unionFS works with SnapRaid. Coming from NAS4Free / XigmaNAS and ZFS backgorund I think I miss the essence of how snapraid works. I was wondering if there was a good source of the basics you could point me to. I simply cannot grasp how you would unionFS something with individual filesystems on individual disks and THEN 'raid' them together... Many thanks in advance.