Search Results

Search results 1-12 of 12.

• Quote from Agricola: “What thickness of shim did you wind up using, and what is the dimention needed for the chip? ” Size 20mmx20mm. I ordered shims of various thickness, but they didn't come labeled so I had to eyeball the thickness. My best guess is 1.5mm-2mm should be sufficient. Quote from Agricola: “I noticed above you mentioned using 12v 5amp power supply. I plan to run 3.5" drives so that would not be enough amperage for at least two 3.5" drives. What do yo suggest? ” 12V 5A is recommende…

• At long last, the NAS build is complete. Took a long time, because I needed specific parts and can only work on the project on weekends,but the experience was worth it. Parts used: 1. Nanopi M4 with the block Heatsink and acrylic cover that shipped with it 2. NanoPi M4 SATA Hat 3. 4x 480GB SATA SSDs (setup in RAID 5 configuration in OMV) 4. SATA data cables (angled ones to fit the design) and power cables 5. @'tkaiser''s OMV image installed on a 32GB eMMC module 6. GeeekPi Cluster Case for Raspb…

• Hi @tkaiser - question for you: I decided to install the OMV image on another microSD card. When booting I see the following messages on the serial console. Is this normal for first time boot? It's been over an hour, it's still going. I am able to get to the web console, and system is responding fine there, but I can't do anything on the serial console. Source Code (14 lines)

• Quote from vko: “Is there a way to format without lazyinit, so I can test how OMV behaves? ” I should've Googled before asking. So I ran mkfs.ext4 -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 /dev/sda1 on Armbian to format the drive without lazyinit, and it partly worked and then failed. It wrote inode tables and created the journal but failed while writing superblocks with error Warning, had trouble writing out superblocks. Took forever till the error, upwards of 45 minutes but the board didn't cr…

• Quote from tkaiser: “if this also occurs with the Armbian based OMV image then please report this over at Armbian (I stopped contributing there) ” Just tested on the Armbian image (4.4.178-rk3399) for Nanopi M4. mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda1 works successfully for the USB connected SSD in less than a minute (but that could be the lazyinit thing you mentioned earlier). Just to be clear this Armbian image doesn't have OMV on it (yet). Questions: 1. Is there a way to format without lazyinit, so I can test…

• Couldn't find a way to set specific speeds for big.LITTLE CPU sets separately with armbian-config but found an alternate way: cpufreq-set -c0 -u1.42GHz cpufreq-set -c1 -u1.42GHz cpufreq-set -c2 -u1.42GHz cpufreq-set -c3 -u1.42GHz cpufreq-set -c4 -u1.80GHz cpufreq-set -c5 -u1.80GHz Formatting over USB still fails, and the board crashes every time. It's not just a problem on OMV either, it fails almost immediately after running mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda1 on the FriendlyElec's OS. Following dmesg is di…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Most probably since USB(3) sucks. Edit: there's a need to clarify: when you dealt with the SSD on the USB port did you then power the M4 via the SATA HAT or USB-C? If the latter then this is known to be M4's Achilles heel (undervoltage resulting in freezes under load). Since powering via USB-C (not USB PD compliant) is such a sh*t show FriendlyELEC now even sells an own PSU module for the board. ” No, I still used my 12V 5A power supply connected to the SATA Hat - so there i…

• Hi Everyone! UPDATE: So, I installed a 20mmx20mmx1.5mm copper shim along with MX-4 thermal compound on both sides of the shim replacing the stock thermal pad. Temperature has improved considerably. However, the issue of system freezing (no, crashing!) while formatting an SSD connected over USB remains. Observations: 1. Idle Temperature is now 38-41°C. Also noticed that once the board heats up (see below) it takes considerable time to get back to idle temps, possibly because the large block heats…

• Thanks for the suggestions @tkaiser and @ryecoaaron I didn't get a chance to implement the suggestions yet, but I will do so at earliest opportunity and post the results here.

• Hello everyone! Since I acquired the NanoPi M4 (w/ SATA Hat) recently, I've been running a few tests to determine stability of the system before committing to building a NAS out of it for my use. The information on his forum has been immensely helpful and so I thought of sharing my observations (and questions). So far the board has performed well, but I'm seeing some overheating issues on OMV specifically for operations on USB3 connected drives. The board is equipped with the large block heatsin…

• Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working

vko - - Motherboards

Quote from tkaiser: “All you can do here is to - upgrade all packages to latest version (if it's an issue with software then it might be fixed with a newer kernel package) - ensure that you power the M4 with a 5.2V or 5.3V PSU with an ultra short cable (if it's an underpowering issue only you and your powering setup can fix it). For troubleshooting not just network issues there are USB serial adapters for a few bucks. Very handy for early boot issues. But the RK3399 has a really high serial baud…

• Nanopi M4 OMV HDMI not working

vko - - Motherboards

Has anyone found a solution to the HDMI issue yet? I spend quite a bit of time yesterday trying to figure out why there was no display till I found this thread. OMV on NanoPi M4 works fine headless (once I read the instructions, of course), but the display doesn't. I can see benefit in having the display work to troubleshoot network issues, if any. Thanks!