Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 336.

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Indeed, if I do that, I can create VM's with qcow2 images. The more I play around with Proxmox, the more I like it. I just saw Volker's post on the blog with screenshots of the OMV6 UI. I really like that as well.

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

I don't currently have another disk to add. I can add another disk image via virtmanager and then mount that in proxmox and utilize that storage.

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

I don't have an option for my test VM's and I think it's because Proxmox is itself a VM and the storage is an LVM so raw is the only option. Good to know though.

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

I'll have to look into that. Is there much of a performance hit?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Thanks ryeco. So OMV will be able to use my SAS hba on Proxmox without doing pass through? This is nice so that other VM’s can use the bulk storage too. Is there a performance hit by doing it this way?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Thanks for the link. Some of them seem to be redundant? Like there's a couple plugins for snapraid, and one for mergerfs and also unionfilesystems?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

I installed proxmox in KVM to try it out. Then within proxmox I installed debian 10 and omv 5 and also dietpi. On the debian 10 VM I installed cockpit to try it out. Cockpit has a nice UI but beyond that, I think OMV provides more functionality for server management. ryecoaaron, In your proxmox configuration, did you configure passthrough for any HBA's for OMV? And, do you run any dockers, and if so do you run them in OMV, in another VM, or on proxmox itself? The latter I believe is possible but…

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Yeah I'm running pi-hole on a dietpi VM. Super easy to setup and have had no issues - so I'm not real motivated to change it.

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Ok. And you prefer Proxmox over ESXi? Getting back on topic, you can setup samba shares in cockpit, right?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

I'm running pi-hole in a VM as well - in vbox within OMV. I was thinking i'd like to move it to an actual rpi at some point so that it's not required to have the server running to have internet. Although with uptime on OMV at >1 year, it hasn't been an issue. Have you ever used XCP-ng?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

Yeah I suppose I need to just install it to find out for myself which I like better. On your proxmox machines, what other VM's do you have beside OMV?

• OMV vs Cockpit

jollyrogr - - General

My OMV server is due for an upgrade, both hardware and software. I need to move to a larger box with more drive capacity, and omv 3 needs to be replaced with omv 4 or something else. My question is, what are the advantages or disadvantages of going with OMV 4 versus installing Debian 10 and Cockpit? It appears to me like cockpit functions much the same as OMV? Other possibilities include installing proxmox or other hypervisor running virtual servers. The new box will be a dual xeon, so hardware …

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

jollyrogr - - Plugins

In my experience changes to the snapraid configuration need to be done using the plugin gui. All other snapraid commands work fine from the terminal and is how I use snapraid.

• UnionFS + SnapRaid concept

jollyrogr - - General

Lot's of good info here by gderf and crashtest. Also check out this comparison with other types of RAIDs snapraid.it/compare For me there is nothing out there currently that beats Snapraid. I'm using 2 parity, but when I upgrade my server I might upgrade to 3 parity. With snapraid it's super easy to do.

• Thanks Macom. Once a mod shows up I suppose they can delete this one and approve the earlier one. What do you mean, so you can access your data? You said you copied your data from the failing drive to one of the others. You should be able to see that data. If not, something else has happened... The instructions are actually pretty straightforward. Have you read snapraid.it/manual in addition to the FAQ? How can I remove a data disk from an existing array? To remove a data disk from the array do:…

• I posted how 2 hours ago but for some reason it says the post is inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

• What do you mean, so you can access your data? You said you copied your data from the failing drive to one of the others. You should be able to see that data. If not, something else has happened... The instructions are actually pretty straightforward. Have you read snapraid.it/manual in addition to the FAQ? Quote: “How can I remove a data disk from an existing array? To remove a data disk from the array do: - Change in the configuration file the related "disk" option to point to an empty directo…

• TheLostSwede, If availability is an issue, perhaps regular RAID would better suit you, although in either case if you're not prepared with replacement drives you might be in over your head. Businesses and networks that employ RAID systems don't wait to RMA a drive. In fact, they won't bother with a refurbished drive period. When a drive fails, a new one goes in and they move on. As was stated earlier, you can change your array from 3 drives to 2 and re-sync, but you'll need to read the manual an…

• Quote from TheLostSwede: “I haven't lost any data, as I copied it over from the failing primary drive to the secondary (empty) drive, in the SnapRAID, but apparently SnapRAID doesn't want to play along with that, even though that seems to be what their instructions tells you to do in case of a drive failure. As such, all the data is there, but because I can't remove the failed drive somehow, I can't sync and make SnapRAID understand that the data is there. There are also zero instruction on how …

• MegerFS/OMV peculiar/slow behaviour

jollyrogr - - RAID

CeeQuu, just to confirm, you don't have the issue when writing via FTP or SMB to directories outside of a pool?? If that's the case it has to be a mergerfs issue, right?