Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 21.

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from sbocquet: “Hi, mdadm is part of the basic packages on debian, so OMV has it from the box else... Source Code (1 line)For the growing of a linear RAID, no problem... Source Code (18 lines)I then added it to the array: Source Code (1 line)Done But OMV can do the same with a nice GUI... ” Sorry but that's all gibberish to me. I do appreciate your input however I don't know what to do with any of that or if its going to mess my system if i start typing stuff in CLI without knowing what ex…

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from sbocquet: “Hi, mdadm is part of the basic packages on debian, so OMV has it from the box else... Source Code (1 line)For the growing of a linear RAID, no problem... Source Code (18 lines)I then added it to the array: Source Code (1 line)Done But OMV can do the same with a nice GUI... ” Sorry but that's all gibberish to me. I do appreciate your input however I don't know what to do with any of that or if its going to mess my system if i start typing stuff in CLI without knowing what ex…

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from ZanosG: “So I tried LVM2. I was able to add physical disks under Volume Groups but I was not able to remove any. When I clicked on Reduce, all I got was the page with no disks listed. zfs didnt want to install at all on OMV4. There were countless errors. mdadm I didnt try. ” With LVM, you have to know how to use it. You can't reduce a volume group if there is an LV on that physical volume.zfs has installed many, many times on OMV 4 for me. What are these countl…

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from sbocquet: “Hi ZanosG, You can have linear RAID with mdadm. For example, I have 4x2To RAID 5 for main storage, and make backups of that datas every night with rsnapshot on a 3x2To Linear RAID. That works perfect for me, and very easy to configure with OMV GUI. ” Thanks for your input but I cant even find anything on google on how to install this mdadm at all. If I had that many drives and had RAID 5 I would have no problem with growing it. The problem is that with Linear you cant grow …

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

So I tried LVM2. I was able to add physical disks under Volume Groups but I was not able to remove any. When I clicked on Reduce, all I got was the page with no disks listed. zfs didnt want to install at all on OMV4. There were countless errors. mdadm I didnt try. One suggestion, If I cant do it through GUI its simply not going to work for me and for millions of other average users. Hence why I was saying that Rockstor might be more helpful.

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from ZanosG: “Quote from ryecoaaron: “mergerfs works on top of existing filesystems. Creating a pool will not do anything to the files on the current filesystems. You can add/remove drives whenever you want. If a drive fails, you will just lose access to the files on that drive. ” OP, this is the problem with mergerfs. Here is what happens, if you have 3 drives and you create a pool with them and then you decide to remove one of the drives your data on that drive wi…

• No luck with Bios time settings

ZanosG - - Motherboards

Quote from openletter: “My experience with various *nix OSs is they always reset BIOS to UTC. ” One of many reasons why I hate Linux. It seems to suffer from all these stupid small things that should be common sense. I have selected right time zone and the right time. That should be the end of that.

ZanosG - - Motherboards

Quote from gderf: “Quote from ZanosG: “I have set OMV to manual UCT time. There is no setting for UTC. Im assuming this is a mistake. I will report back. ” No idea where you are looking but my OMV has a UTC timezone. ” Yeah im not sure what i was looking at earlier. Seems to be there now.

ZanosG - - Motherboards

I have set OMV to manual UCT time. There is no setting for UTC. Im assuming this is a mistake. I will report back.

• Pool Hard Drives

ZanosG - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “mergerfs works on top of existing filesystems. Creating a pool will not do anything to the files on the current filesystems. You can add/remove drives whenever you want. If a drive fails, you will just lose access to the files on that drive. ” OP, this is the problem with mergerfs. Here is what happens, if you have 3 drives and you create a pool with them and then you decide to remove one of the drives your data on that drive will be removed from the pool. I would suggest…

• Harddrive broken

ZanosG - - General

If you DO NOT have any data on the drive you can run diskpart and clear it that way Click to open windows menu (or just press windows logo button on the keyboard) Type in Diskpart When the window opens wait for the DISKPART> After DISKPART> type in list disk, you will see a list of your disks Type in "select disk 2 or 3" depending on the number the disk shows up under, it will say that disk is selected. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO SELECT THE WRONG DRIVE!!!!!! Type in "clean", wait for it to be done. …

ZanosG - - Motherboards

Its 6-7 hours discrepancy. Im on the eastern us time zone. Question is if I have the right time set in OMV why would that change my Bios to UTC time. That doesnt make sense.

• Each time I had this error ""Failed to partition the selected disk" it was not due to destination drive (where I was trying to install OMV). It was due to the program I was using to write OMV on the install drive. So I have been using unetbootin, I know some people have reported problems with it too but it works for me.

ZanosG - - Motherboards

So I wanted to set my OMV computer to boot at 10 am. It is set to shut down at 2 am. So it will be off between those hours. Time in bios is set to right time with boot time set to 10 am. Time in OMV is set by NTP Server (time.google.com) and I have the right Time Zone selected. The problems i am having is that the computer boots up at 3 am instead of 10 am. It shuts down at the right time. Im assuming this is something with Time Zones but I just dont see why this would be happening because I hav…

• Suggestion on the set up. RAID or?

ZanosG - - RAID

Oh all the fun I had with this and getting things set up. So the very next day after my last reply I was able to install Win7 and that worked perfectly fine. I was able to see my shares on the network and I was copying files over to it when I decided to install anti virus. Win7 was not updated and I had updates shut off, anti virus software needed one of the windows updates to be installed. Fine, I went to MS site and downloaded the update manually. I installed the update and then installed the …

ZanosG - - RAID

Well, I dont really need an answer anymore. OMV stopped working for me completely. I even reinstalled it 5-6 times. I was able to set everything up but I was unable to see my shares from windows machines. I spent 2 days on trying to fix this new issue with the network. Then I went and installed Rockstor and that turned out fruitless as it didnt let me access Web UI. The plan tomorrow is to install Windows 7. And I know that will work. I should have started with Windows right from the get go and …

ZanosG - - RAID

Quote from gderf: “Quote from ZanosG: “Ok. So I ran a test with 4 USB sticks and virtual box to see what exactly is going before I make any changes to my main system. Anyway, I was able to create Union FileSystem with 3 USB sticks. Then I shared that folder on the network and wrote some data to it. Then i went back to OMV and added 4th USB stick to the Union FileSystem. Checked the folder on the network and data was still there. Rebooted the machine. Went back into OMV and removed one USB stick …

ZanosG - - RAID

Ok. So I ran a test with 4 USB sticks and virtual box to see what exactly is going before I make any changes to my main system. Anyway, I was able to create Union FileSystem with 3 USB sticks. Then I shared that folder on the network and wrote some data to it. Then i went back to OMV and added 4th USB stick to the Union FileSystem. Checked the folder on the network and data was still there. Rebooted the machine. Went back into OMV and removed one USB stick from Union Filesystem. Checked in the n…

ZanosG - - RAID

Quote from gderf: “There is the Union File Systems plugin that provides a basic implementation, but I do not use it. See the documentation available here: github.com/trapexit/mergerfs ” Thank you.

ZanosG - - RAID

Quote from gderf: “Quote from ZanosG: “So what would be the best set up for me to be able to retain my 11.8 TiB of space but also be able to add or remove disks? ” mergerfs ” Is there a guide on how to set this up? I'm more of a hardware guy. If I have to do any terminal work you will have to shoot me.