Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Quote from irafone: “I can see the webgui login page, but no way to login ” That means engined is not running and/or the system disk is full. omv-engined -df from the command line will show errors.

• omv-firstaid needs OMV working (engined running). You can't do this from recovery mode.

• Quote from TechnoDadLife: “Announced in 2019, this system adds a second HDMI port, more memory, true Gigabit Ethernet and USB3. There is no support for it in the Debian kernels yet. We understand this computer no longer boots from the GPU, so it is probable it will no longer require a binary blob to boot. I was looking at native Debian support for a Debian install ” Either this is out of date or only applies to Debian. Raspbian is ok (not sure about second hdmi though): (Hidden Content)

• How much speed did you think you were going to get out of spinning disk? What speed is each side connected at? Why the large font?

• Proxmox with docker

ryecoaaron - - My NAS Build

Quote from subzero79: “I maintain a separate plain Debian vm for docker ” I do the same except I am using an Ubuntu VM and use the command line for docker stuff.

• LVM

ryecoaaron - - General

Quote from terencefaul: “Is anyone using LVM for disk management and Device Pooling. Is there an advantage to this over mergerFS ” Most people really have no reason to use LVM. If is helpful if you are running OMV as a VM, resize your disk(s) a lot, and can't have a downtime. otherwise, it is just one more layer that you don't need. LVM pooling (unless on redundant block device) will result in loss of all data if you lose one drive. Mergerfs would only lose the data on the drive that failed (sna…

• OMV, proxmox and Green IT

I haven't looked at this but my server is always busy. I would try changing the governor but most power saving ideas probably would negatively impact running VMs.

• Quote from TechnoDadLife: “There is no OMV5 for Raspberry Pi until Debian updates the kernal. ” Why is that? (Hidden Content)

• Quote from Huberer: “But unfortunately I can't find a how-to for OMV5. Does anybody know how I install OMV5 via command line? ” It is pinned in the Guide forum - forum.openmediavault.org/index…OMV5-on-Debian-10-Buster/

• Best choice to upgrade

I have my RPi4 in a flirc case and it helps the temps but I don't think the RPi4 should be the first choice for a NAS. I have a lot of SBC boards and I would still pick the Nano Pi M4 with sata hat over all the others.

• Quote from crackjack: “OMV lacks the documentation on the sorta things I am looking for though I could of just missed it. ” Between the guide forum forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Board/29-Guides/, the info in the forum itself, and the readthedocs wiki openmediavault.readthedocs.io/en/latest/, is there something else you can think of that is missing? I know it isn't as much as the commercially supported option but it should get you through a lot. As for perspective, I spent years looking for …

• Quote from crackjack: “use ZFS but doesnt use it natively ” If you use the Debian kernel, a zfs kernel module will be built using dkms. This module is just as native as any other Linux filesystem. If you use the Proxmox kernel (install with omv-extras), the module is builtin. So, while zfs isn't exactly treated like other Linux filesystems, it is very solid and stable. Quote from crackjack: “due to the amount of Guides and Docs out there ” Many of the functions you want out of your NAS would be …

• ZFS plugin is present for OVM5?

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Or use the proxmox kernel.

• Quote from TechnoDadLife: “I just noticed that Kali Linux is based on Debian. I was wondering if this would be a quick and dirty way to install OMV5 on the Raspberry Pi before Debian supports the Raspberry Pi 4 ” While it may work right now, it would probably break since kali is based on debian testing.

• Quote from crashtest: “It certainly didn't look like the garden variety Debian 10 Net Install ” You are right It had a bunch of unnecessary crap.

• Quote from geaves: “too much choice ” That is where armbian has done you a favor. If they don't support it, most likely you don't want it

• Quote from crashtest: “The messages are referencing Avahi and OpenBSD. Both are BSD related ” avahi is a package that advertises services on linux and the openbsd reference is for openssh since they maintain it So, I see a Linux system in the picture but it is also loading desktop evironment stuff. I would avoid the live or graphical options.

• ZFS plugin is present for OVM5?

ryecoaaron - - Plugins

Quote from Rom1: “ZFS plugin is present for OVM5? ” Yes - bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/usul

• Quote from Nas-turally: “Just to get updated versions, for potential bug fixes, improvements, etc. ” Gentoo and Arch are bleeding edge. So, even an old ISO is still newer than a lot of distros. I will see about using a new version for OMV 5.x but I won't be making changes for OMV 4.x.

• Quote from Nas-turally: “OMV-Extras installs a quite outdated version of systemrescuecd, 5.2.2 from April 2018. systemrescuecd is now in 6.0.1 since February 2019. Wouldn't it be worth to update OMV-Extras? (I updated 6.0.1 on my own system) ” SystemRescueCD 6.0.3 is actually out. I haven't switch to it because some don't care for the switch to Arch (from gentoo). Why do you need a newer version?