Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 694.

• Raspberry 3b+ Wlan

Adoby - - General

It most likely use a different IP over WiFi.

• How do you backup?

Adoby - - General

Here is an old post about how I clone my SD cards: (I use a couple of scripts and dd and partclone) New to OMV and Linux

• How to remove HD from RAID5 for check sectors

Adoby - - RAID

By using RAID you combine the capacity of several drives and add a number of redundant drives. This is nice and very easy to do. The redundancy may allow you to continue to access the files on the RAID if no more than the number of redundant drive(s) fail. But if more than the redundant number of drive(s) fail, you loose EVERYTHING! Unless you have good backups. And typically when a drive in a RAID fail you replace it and rebuild the array. Or you desperately start to backup the files, to save t…

• Raspberry 3b+ Wlan

Adoby - - General

The ones that work are correct. I haven't tried any of them. Try the first you find. If it doesn't work, reinstall OMV and try the next. What is needed is to install the missing wifi modules. I assume that they all do just that, but are more or less clear about what they do and more or less verbose and detailed. They should all download a .deb file from somewhere and use apt or dpkg to install it. Or possibly add some repository and then install the .deb file. And the name of the file should sta…

• Raspberry 3b+ Wlan

Adoby - - General

OMV doesn't include the drivers/kernel modules for wifi. A OMV NAS over wifi is pretty bad/slow... You can add the drivers with some command line mojo. I recently did this for RPi4, the procedure is similar. Just do a search for something like "OMV raspberry pi wifi" and you'll get some hits you can try.

• No. Don't use RAID. Not unless you have really good reasons. And not before you have good backups. Even if you use RAID, you need to have backups. Otherwise you WILL loose data. Sooner or later. OMV allows you to automate backups/snapshots. But you still need to keep an eye on it. It is common that automatic backup solutions stop working and nobody notices. And then when something happens, there are no backups.

• Help deciding on what OS for NAS solution

Adoby - - General

Quote from crackjack: “If that doesnt make sense to you then all I can say is try put your self in my shoes I cant afford 16tb data center drives that aint happening for a long time. ” The hardware you listed in your first post is not cheap either. To me that hardware is extreme overkill. If I was in your shoes I would re-prioritize and make sure I have really good backups first. Without good backups you WILL loose data. Sooner or later. And if you have your drives in a RAID the likelihood of lo…

• Migration

Adoby - - Updates/Upgrades

I assume that you only use a small portion of the 500GB HDD? In that case you should be able to clone the bigger drive to the smaller. There are great step-by-step instructions on the internet. Try to search for something like: "clone drive to a smaller ssd linux". You might also consider using a thumbdrive for the root filesystem and use the whole of the SSD for docker images and/or other software that you run on the NAS. You could also just do a fresh install to the SSD. The RAID should be the…

• OK, you know that RAID is not backup. Then I assume that you do have good backups, perhaps even in several generations and at several locations. Incremental backups or snapshots to other media or whatever. At regular intervals or triggered by changes to the filesystem if it changes a lot. In that case, you won't loose your data even if you don't use RAID. So your explanation of why you need RAID doesn't seem to make any sense. Sorry. More drives means more problems. More moving parts that can (a…

• Quote from crackjack: “Who doesnt need redundancy?Serious answer, I just want some extra file security/safty/peace of mind, I have 1.9tb of music which I have been collecting for nearly 10 years 500gb of it is flac the rest is 320kb mp3. On top that its going to be a fun project. ” I don't need redundancy. At least not in the form of RAID. And from your answer it seems you don't need redundancy either. With RAID, if you by mistake delete something, it is gone. Same if a hardware or software erro…

• Why do you need redundancy?

• Network DNS/ping problem

Adoby - - Network

I doubt that it actually is OMV that is causing any problems. I rather think that it ether is something that is wrong with the hardware in the box OMV is running on or, despite what you say, something that you did wrong in OMV or configured wrong. Perhaps you use the wrong ports in the router? Perhaps you have configured the network wrong? What happens if you reinstall OMV from scratch and try to ping BEFORE you have changed anything in OMV? If it still is bad, then you know that it is a hardwar…

• Best choice to upgrade

Adoby - - My NAS Build

A nice first step could be to get a 4GB RPi4, a GbE switch and a good BIG external HDD for backups. Don't use RAID. RAID is nice if you REALLY need >99.99% uptime on a web site or big corporate server and have staff that can quickly fix broken drives. But for home use I would argue that it is worse than useless. You still need some form of backup and RAID with many HDDs means stuff will break MORE often. It is very easy to setup RAID, but when it breaks you are on your own, with the command line…

• Network DNS/ping problem

Adoby - - Network

Two possibilities, as I see it: 1. Some hardware problem. The NIC is bad? The port in the switch is bad? Network cabel is bad? 2. IP clash. The OMV box has the same IP as some other device. Or possibly, some other device has the same IP as the OMV box. What happens when you turn off EVERYTHING except the router, the switch, OMV and a PC. Can you ping OK then?

• Seeking Guidance, First-Time NAS project

Adoby - - General

Some prefer one or few big NAS boxes, each with many small drives. I prefer many tiny NAS boxes with one or few big drives each. I prefer one tiny HC2 with one expensive big 12TB drive to a big NAS box with 4X4TB cheap drives in RAID5. I just ordered two new 16TB drives. Might have bought even bigger, if it was available.

• Speed rsync raspberry pi 4b too slow

Adoby - - General

I just copied a bunch of big files from an SSD on the RPi4 to another NAS. I used Midnight Commander. And I got speeds of about 80-90 MB/s sustained. A bunch of 40-250 GB zip files. I did a "push" to a Odroid HC2 also running OMV. I used a UASP enclosure for the Crucial MX500 SSD. NFS4. EXT4. A GbE switch in between. No special optimizations, just my normal settings. 1 MB write buffers set in autofs. Seagate Ironwolf on the HC2. However, when I started to copy another set of big files simultaneo…

• Speed rsync raspberry pi 4b too slow

Adoby - - General

Try something like: time cp source destination It is not only rsync that might be the problem. It may also be the USB interface, possibly in combination with rsync. There are external drives with UASP-interfaces that claim to be much faster and less processor demanding. That seem to imply that non-UASP-interfaces are much slower and mor processor demanding. This would show extra well when using rsync. I never buy any external USB storage that does not use UASP. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_Attached…

• Add User option Modify Account

Adoby - - General

Command line: passwd

• Folder permissions, ACL, again

Adoby - - General

I use the OMV GUI to add or modify users and groups and group memberships. I use the command line or Midnight Commander to set owner and access rights on files and folders, other than the OMV defaults. If I really need to. I very rarely need to. I have never used ACLs. The plugin resetperm is handy sometimes, to reset the default permissions.

• Folder permissions, ACL, again

Adoby - - General

None of your examples seem to need any use of ACLs, just the old traditional mechanisms for access rights. Just assign the right ownerships, group memberships and access rights, and you are done. But then I don't use Windows or CIFS, so I could be wrong?