Search Results

Search results 1-13 of 13.

• Command for system status summary

grokov - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from grokov: “Is there a command to print this information again on demand? ” run-parts /etc/update-motd.d ” Nice. For just the sensor and system info, this also works nicely: bash /etc/update-motd.d/30-armbian-sysinfo

• Command for system status summary

grokov - - General

When SSHing into OMV, there is a nice summary of system stats and sensors: forum.openmediavault.org/index…227752405069dc834b11b5b8a Is there a command to print this information again on demand?

• OMV with SELinux

grokov - - General

Has anyone tried using SELinux on OMV? Considering the use case for OMV is often internet-facing (eg. Nextcloud), and/or contains important files/backups, and/or involves containers which vary widely in quality, SELinux would be perfect for those who are more security-conscious and don't mind tinkering to get things working right. This might be a good starting point: wiki.debian.org/SELinux

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Yes. You can delete it from /etc/apt/sources.list. This is just a warning though. ” Done. All clear of warnings now. Well, except for an error which seems to be a bug in the version of python in OMV: Source Code (8 lines)Quote from ryecoaaron: “It shouldn't. What is the output of the apt clean button? ” Nice, the apt clean button succeeded with no unusual output, and afterwards the Backports Enable worked without error. However, I see no visual indication of whether the s…

• I had the same problem with an image downloaded in mid-August, and the solution in this thread worked for me. FYI the images on Sourceforge still aren't updated (dated 2018-06-03), at least for the SBCs like the Odroid HC2: sourceforge.net/projects/openm…ngle%20Board%20Computers/

• I see warnings with apt update: Source Code (24 lines)As indicated, the first (and only) line in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list and the seventh line in /etc/apt/sources.list both contain: deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch-backports main contrib non-free. Should this line be commented out in one of the files? Maybe unrelated, but the button to enable or disable Backports on the OMV-Extras page of the GUI gives a communication error and continually displa…

• Passwordless user account

grokov - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “If you create the user with useradd, it won't add a samba password. ” I'm still using the OMV gui for creating users. useradd was used just for making the account passwordless, but it does not change/remove the samba password. As far as I can tell, the OMV gui does not have a way to manage samba users or passwords.

grokov - - General

It's still worth noting that passwd --delete USERNAME did not also remove the samba password. samba's passwords seem to be stored in /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb and tdbdump /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb shows that the system account user with its password deleted still has an entry in this file. In case it's helpful, /etc/samba/smb.conf contains the following settings relating to passwords: Source Code (7 lines)The smbpasswd command seems to be the way to change samba passwords (or dis…

grokov - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “I would recommend using different username for shell access (like USERNAMEADMIN or USERNAMEBACKUP) and use the regular username with a password but no login for samba. ” Do you mean using two different accounts named similarly (USERNAME for samba and USERNAMEADMIN for logging in if necessary)? And is no login for samba achieved by selecting /usr/sbin/nologin or /bin/false for that account's shell?

grokov - - General

What about SMB/CIFS shares that require username/password for access? I tested with a user with its account password deleted, and the SMB/CIFS share still required credentials (expected)... and accepted the "deleted" account password. How/where is this password stored and managed?

grokov - - General

Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from grokov: “Is it possible to create passwordless user accounts? ” Not from the web interface. You can use useradd from the command line and if you never set a password, it won't have one. If you already created the user, just execute the following command as root: passwd --delete USERNAME ” Excellent. passwd --delete USERNAME worked perfectly and the user can no longer log into the web gui. The other situation I can think of where a password would be used is for …

grokov - - General

Is it possible to create passwordless user accounts? I want to create a user for backups over SSH, and I want it to log in only with private key authentication. I have no need or desire for it to log into openmediavault web gui either. Is this possible, or must all accounts have passwords?

• Can't figure out SSH PKA

grokov - - General

Check the permissions of the root directory on your NAS with ls. If it's 777 (rwxrwxrwx) it needs to be changed to 755, which you can do with: Source Code (1 line) I had the same issue with SSH PKA not working when password authentication is disabled. The log on OMV provides a clue with SSH giving an error and refusing to continue due to permissions being too permissive.