Search Results

Search results 1-17 of 17.

• My final HW config

ekent - - My NAS Build

Quote from macom: “KISS: use ext4 and rsnapshot ” Thanks! I am also a fan of this approach. You can implement the most complicated and data protective approach, but if you don't understand how to implement it correctly or how it really works, then it's a ticking time bomb in my mind. I have considered going the btrfs with btrbk route, but something has been holding me back.... Maybe it's just that to really justify using that filesystem I need to have a better understanding of the filesystem and…

• My final HW config

ekent - - My NAS Build

Quote from macom: “tkaiser will not anwer, most likely. I would say, yes, stay with ext4. ” Thanks @macom I don't think that I want to setup a raid type scenario with snapraid like what Sinobi is describing above. But I suppose the question should be asked, should I be doing that? What would you recommend for creating incremental backups with ext4? Something like Snapshot? Or would it be better to go down the path of Snapraid? Thanks for taking the time to respond, I'm just trying to ensure that…

• My final HW config

ekent - - My NAS Build

Quote from tkaiser: “Another idea with modern storage attempts, this time btrfs. You could partition both disks and then create two btrfs filesystems: A large one using 7 TB of each disk, using no redundancy for data but redundancy for metadata. This will allow you to detect data corruption and as such you know which files to replace: mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d single /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 A small one using redundancy for both data and metadata: mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 Snapsho…

• I have also taken the plunge with the Helios4 3rd batch. Super excited! All the time between now and June will allow me to read up on btrfs and btrbk

• @tkaiser thank you so much for your detailed responses! It's really appreciated and there is a lot of information there that will take me some time to sift through and understand and I can only imagine how much time it spent putting it together. Quote from sirleon: “@ekent I've also thought about buying 1 or 2 helios4. If you also live in germany and intereseted in helios4, we may order together to save shipping costs. ” @sirleon I'd be more than happy to do a combined order with you (and thank …

• Quote from tkaiser: “If you love your data then care about data integrity. That means Use a checksummed filesystem if possible Use ECC RAM if possible ” I'm at the point where I can't decide whether to get: 1. 2 or 3 HC2s (and have backups physically separated from productive data). Positive = easy to multiply 2. Spend a little more and get a RockPro64 with NAS case (have backups connected to the same SBC and therefore in the same physical location) (but this has downside of limiting to 2 hard d…

• Hi all, After going through the thread Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose? I was really taken by the Helios4, but thought that it was out of my price range. As a result I then was considering the Odroid-HC2 and was very impressed by that machine, but realised that in order to get what I wanted I'd need to get 2-3 of them. Once I realised that, that brought me back to the Helios4. I think that I'm going to get one, and am seriously excited by the prospect (as it offers the opportunity …

• What File Share Protocol to use

ekent - - General

Quote from macom: “According to this post the AFP plugin will be dropped in OMV5 in favor of SMB. Is SMB an adequate alternative for this use case? ” Does this mean that I will be unable to use OMV5 for TimeMachine backups?

ekent - - General

Quote from tkaiser: “ing different protocols for the same shares is a recipe for disaster (unfortunately OMV allows this) ” I thought that might be the case. Quote from tkaiser: “I would use SMB for data shares (even if this has downsides with Mac and Linux clients) and in case you want to use OMV as a TimeMachine backup appliance use a single different share with AFP for this. ” Thanks @tkaiser, I appreciate the advice. I think I will want to use OMV as a TImeMachine backup, so I'll configure a…

ekent - - General

I am about to buy an Odroid-HC2 and plan to setup OMV on that for general backing up, and storing and sharing of media files (music and videos) over my local network. At the moment the following OSs exist in my house 1. Windows 10 (PC) 2. Apple (Macbook Pro OSX 10.11) 3. Linux (Kodi Media Centre) As I understand it, each have their preferred File Share protocols. So which should I use when setting up OMV? Configuring all of them and using SMB for Windows, AFP for Mac and NFS for Linux seems inef…

• Quote from tkaiser: “Manual backup doesn't work in my experience (you always have good reasons to skip backing up prior to a data loss). We're using checksummed filesystems everywhere since data integrity is important and as such btrfs together with btrbk does the job on ARM SBCs and with large x86 installations ZFS combined with znapzend is used (or proprietary solutions like Open-e/Jovian). The differentiation between btrfs on ARM and ZFS on x86 is due to kernel support here and there. But if …

• Quote from Adoby: “I use one 12V 20A PSU, without a fan, to power 6 HC2, a Netgear GS316 GbE switch, a Asus Lyra mesh unit and a Noctua fan. When I bought the stuff I made sure everything ran on 12 volts. This is the PSU I use: amazon.de/dp/B01MRSAT39 There are some pics in this thread: My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB. (I bought two PSU, one as a spare, just in case...) ” Thanks a heap for the information in your post. That's quite the setup you've got there. And you clearly are…

• Quote from JohnStiles: “Then buy yourself two HC2, or three or even four HC2. Or go towards a normal pc / x86 server .... And if you really like the idea with ARM as a server then Gigabyte has a cool R281-T91 ” I think I will go back to the HC2 option. I was really taken with it initially so didn't need to try too hard to convince myself. BTW that Gigabyte R281-T91 is off the chain!! Super cool, but slightly more than what I need I feel .

• Quote from tkaiser: “Can't really help here since RAID1 is IMO just fooling yourself (talking about mdraid, a zmirror or a btrfs raid-1 is something entirely different) For RAID in general you need absolutely reliable hardware while SBC setups are usually quite the opposite. Especially all those RAID setups don't deal that great with power losses and undervoltage (which is one of the most common problems with SBC, at least those powered with 5V) I like to have my backups physically separated fro…

• I'm currently using a Raspberry Pi 2B with a 2TB HDD. It's terrible! After reading through this thread I thought that I'd settled on getting an Odroid-HC2, but now I'm thinking I'd like the ability to have 2 or more 3.5" drives (probably up to 4) connected, possibly even in a RAID1 configuration. I'd like to be able to do general backing up of files and also stream music and movies etc to a media centre. Quote from tkaiser: “If I would want to add up to 4 disks to an SBC I would clearly go the S…

• eMMC vers SD card

ekent - - General

Upon further investigation, I have found that the Odroid-HC2 is available in Australia for a reasonable price. I have 2 Raspberry Pi 2Bs and am looking at replacing both of them. 1. The first one is running OSMC (Kodi) as a media centre accessing 2. The second is running OMV serving as a NAS for general backup and as a media storage for one running the media centre I am now thinking that I'll replace 1) with the rock64 and will replace 2) with the Odroid-HC2

• eMMC vers SD card

ekent - - General

Hi, I have been using a Raspberry Pi 2B with OMV for the last few months and have been extremely frustrated with the performance. After doing some investigating here, and looking at prices and what was available to get shipped reasonably to Australia, I decided to get a 4GB rock64 which I'm excitedly waiting for. However, I feel that I should have read this thread before making my purchase as I purchased a 16GB eMMCwith it. Have I wasted my money? Will it be OK for me to use this eMMC with my ro…