Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Btrfs + UnionFS + SnapRAID

crashtest - - General

I think a weekly sync is fine. And using the standard "snapraid scrub" command nightly is fine as well. I run snapraid -e fix before a new sync. (There's no penalty for running it, if nothing is wrong.) If files were deleted, during the period between the last sync and the -e fix command, a few errors will be generated. I expect this. (It's in the dialog, from which I get an E-mail.) Others may have a different routine, for different reasons, but there's really no "wrong" here, other than it nee…

• Quote from Wallaby: “I managed to fix the problem, when asked for credentials when trying to access the OMV server in explorer I used my admin login and password that I use for the OMV WebGUI. First time I ever have needed to do that, which is weird since I can access my shares with all my other devices without needing it. ” Try this: Setup a new user, in OMV, using the exact same username and password (Caps and all) that you use to log into the Win10 laptop. (I don't get the path difference, Wi…

crashtest - - General

Quote from rkillcrazy: “I hope I understood all this correctly. As far as I can tell, I'm not over-complicating the mousetrap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.... ” Well, first and foremost, I was under the impression that you want to use what you have - that you wouldn't be buying disks to set up some implementation of RAID5. If that's the case, I believe you're good to go. This is what I'm basing that opinion on: 1. Different sized disks are involved. 2. You're storing media, I.E. large files, …

crashtest - - General

Because I take very few claims at face value, I've already informed myself with a sector editor test. Back with I looked closely at bitrot, I researched what was needed to detect it and correct it. Even at that, I didn't trust the claims until I tested it. Since a zmirror (ZFS RAID1) did the job, I stopped there. (But I do find it interesting, in the referenced article, that Synology doesn't support scrubbing in RAID1 and 10, and there's no explanation for why.) In any case, I didn't test the CO…

crashtest - - General

The Wikipedia article is about "whole drive" replacement using parity - this is what RAID5 does. It is not about single file silent bitrot detection and correction. A single RAID5 array, in either of the ZFS or BTRFS flavors, does not protect individual files from bitrot, or restore them to their original state, in a scrub. They can't. That would be like expecting that a MD5 hash from a known good file, could somehow be used to correct that file, when a second incorrect MD5 hash shows the file i…

crashtest - - General

Quote from henfri: “Bitrod protection should work in raid5 as well. ” There's a difference between error detection and correction. As a test, try using sector editor from a live distro (something with LDE) and edit a single file in a BTRFS simple volume or the written area of a BTRFS RAID5 array. (A minor change.) A subsequent scrub will "detect" the error, but it won't correct it. Without the second file with a clean, matching checksum, it's an uncorrectable error.

crashtest - - General

Quote from rkillcrazy: “So, given my current needs, ” Aggregating disks under a common mount point is one matter - that's a separate topic. As it is with most things, there are usually two or more ways to do the same thing. _____________________________________________ Assuming your need is "bitrot detection and correction". in preservation of older files, there are two options that I'm aware of, that are supported by OMV: - A RAID1 or 10 implementation of a CoW filesystem like BTRFS or ZFS: ((I…

crashtest - - General

Quote from rkillcrazy: “I just figured Btrfs can handle bit rot whenever a file is read. However, not all my movies are read all the time. Years can go by without watching a movie in my collection so I figured SnapRAID could then be scheduled to run weekly or monthly, catching bit rot. ” There is a difference between BTRFS and SNAPRAID, when it comes to Bitrot. A BTRFS scrub can detect bitrot but unless there are two identical checksumed files,this is done in the BTRFS equivalent of RAID1, it ca…

• Is there any VM plugin for OMV 5?

crashtest - - Plugins

Cockpit is available now and will run VM's on amd64 architectures. Go to OMVExtra's, on the settings tab, and install Cockpit. If Cockpit is not there, update your install.

• OMV issue - 2xNVME = No LAN?

crashtest - - General

Quote from TheBadFrag: “I installed OMV without the second NVME SSD. The LAN adapter was called "enp7s0" by OMV. Then I installed the NVME SSD. Now the name of the LAN adapter changed to "enp8s0". OMV still has the old LAN config on boot and doesn't realise that the hardware configuration has changed. So no LAN adapter gets activated because the default setting seems to be disable all. ” I believe you hit the nail on the head. Another case where the new port naming convention can complicate matt…

• salt on OMV5

crashtest - - General

Quote from subzero79: “Sometimes is just the service restarting or doing other stuff besides writing config. But to measure the difference in between salt and shell you have to compare it In terminal running mkconf vs omv-salt deploy ” Regrettably, the actual speed of execution on the command line will not help the majority of users, who will be working with OMV5 in the GUI.

• salt on OMV5

crashtest - - General

Quote from subzero79: “Is slower imo than old shell ” Depending on the platform, I've noticed that what used to take 2 to 15 seconds, may take up to 2 minutes in OMV5. Saying OMV5 appears to be 10x slower than OMV4, when saving configuration changes, in not an understatement. The change itself "seems" to happen immediately, but the GUI appears to be processing the change for a good while.

crashtest - - General

Crap - I forgot that is exactly the issue (the network).

crashtest - - General

Do you know how to use PuTTY or some other SSH client? You can get on the command line, easily, without a monitor and keyboard.

crashtest - - General

Again, you still don't know, for a fact that this is not a MOBO or BIOS issue. Two NVME drives may work in the BIOS screen but that doesn't mean that it hands off "correctly" to the OS. I'd send a note to Gigabyte support, outlining the issue, just to be thorough. You could try a couple live OS disks, Knoppix and others to see if the problem occurs with other OS's and different implementations. (Knoppix is known of hardware recognition.) I think you can even install Win10, unregistered and witho…

crashtest - - General

Did you look for a BIOS update? This seems to be a motherboard or BIOS limitation, versus software. Among other tasks, it's the job of BIOS (Basic Input Output System) to detect ALL peripherals and hand that information over to the OS, when it's loaded. Quote from TheBadFrag: “Ok it's definitely an OMV issue. ” If this is software related (that has not been established), it is a Debian Linux issue. OMV is an application that installs on the Debian OS. OMV has no impact on how hardware is present…

• Quote from budpad: “Do I have to use an SD within the zotac or a usb3 connected HD? ” I'd go with the SD-card slot (using San-Disk or Samsung) for the boot drive. SD-cards are easy to clone. Use the USB port for a data drive. You could do a self powered USB3.X drive dock, with two drive slots, but I'd get one with a good chipset (JMS578).

• Ryzen 3 3200G

crashtest - - My NAS Build

It would seem that the answer is,,, no one has the 3200G. (That has looked at this post.) My Regrets

• Quote from stephane: “Only one drive : The main limitation here is that it is not a RAID solution, I didn't wanted RAID because I prefer to sync my data on several devices and several places (more robust in my opinion). ” I agree. This is a much better utilization of disks and multiple devices provide a much safer backup solution.

• Quote from budpad: “What about the Zotac and OMV. is there an ready image available or do I have to install Ubuntu/Debian before? ” Despite it's size, your Zotac model is a normal X64 install. (64bit) You can use the integrated ISO provided for a standard OMV4 setup. Follow the New User Guide link, in my signature below. It will get you started with links to download locations, the ISO, useful utilities, etc. After you're up and running, the Forum Guides Section has Macom's guide for nextcloud a…