Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 819.

• The PC is slow? Copy to other target to test. Also think about how you copy. Avoid involving extra network transfers. Run checks with iperf. Are there any USB hubs involved?

• Best choice to upgrade

Adoby - - My NAS Build

I also do as @macom: My HC2 are all running 24/7. But I have my HDDs set to spin down after 2 hours. In OMV (and Linux) there are tools that let you automatically run tasks at certain times. I have my HC2 running automatic unattended backups at around 02:00 every night. So they spin up, run the backup jobs, and later spin down again. One reason why I like ARM and the HC2 is that it doesn't use a lot of power. I haven't tested WOL with ARM or HC2, but I have seen it mentioned that it does not wor…

• Issues with folders

Adoby - - General

The folders under /srv are the "actual" folders, as @macom says. But their paths are a bit unfriendly as they may contain unique identifiers like UUID and other strange stuff. The folders under /sharedfolders are a form of helpful "shortcuts" that are much easier to type and remember. They are what is "presented" on the network. In the beginning you can mostly ignore /srv. But if/when you start adding other, possibly 3:rd party, software then you may have to use the folders under /srv for things…

• Homes vs Users

Adoby - - CIFS/SMB

Home folders are available for use in OMV but is perhaps not the reason why most use OMV. It is possible to setup a (OMV) Linux server so that when you create a user, then a subfolder for that user is also created. Typically so that only that user can access that folder. Typically that subfolder is created in the /home folder. And when that user login to the system the special path ~/ points to that user folder for that user. There are also some environment variables set. And this is before you …

• Issues with folders

Adoby - - General

Yes, in some instances OMV is extremely brittle. As you have found out. But in many other ways OMV is extremely robust. I especially like that OMV is just a thin layer on top of a standard Linux server OS, Debian. There are folders and then there are Folders. OMV use the concept of "shared folder" for a lot of things. The shared folders are what you create in the GUI. And you use the GUI to specify how it works and with what. You just tell the GUI and it does all the heavy lifting for you. Write…

• no DNS after boot.

Adoby - - General

If you do a search you will find a couple of threads that seem to discuss something like what you describe. I did a search for "OMV resolve.conf" and some of the first hits seem relevant. Problems after changing dns server. And ways to fix it?

• no DNS after boot.

Adoby - - General

Well, something obviously isn't working. One very obvious thing to try is to disable pi hole and remove the static lease for the mac and allow a dynamic IP to be allocated by the DHCP-server in the router. At least while installing.

• no DNS after boot.

Adoby - - General

Your type of problems typically has two causes: 1. The install is not finished. Could be because of a bad or slow SD card. Make sure to use at least a 16 GB A1 type card for a fast install. 2. You network (especially the router/DHCP-server) is not correctly configured Please note: 192.168.0.252 is a IP inside your LAN. Not debian.org.

• It might be single drive SBC NAS like my HC2s. You would need something like glusterfs. Outside of OMV. However it is easy(?) to setup for instance Emby running on one NAS to include media folders from one or more other NAS. For instance you can have one NAS for movies and another for TV series. Or one NAS for old movies and one for new. One NAS for current TV shows and one for terminated. Or any split you want. Same with photo, music or whatever. I do this using my single drive OMV Odroid HC2 N…

• Two omv's

Adoby - - General

Sure. That sounds like a reasonable plan. Please report back here on your experience setting up the cobain backup software with OMV and if there were any special problems on the way.

• install usb 16 gig/14 gig

Adoby - - General

I don't quite understand what you mean. So you had a fully functional and updated OMV install? And then you did something wrong and you broke OMV? Once you have OMV fully installed and updated, back it up. Only then configure and add more stuff, testing as you go. If something break, assume you did something wrong, restore the backup, and try again. This time slower and with more care and possibly with more backups as long as things are OK. There should be a certain point where everything is wor…

• As I understand it, the official install image for OMV on RPi is based on Raspbian lite. Not sure if OMV will work on the full Raspbian.

• Two omv's

Adoby - - General

Yes, most certainly. I have several, in pairs, like that. Works great! I recommend it! (Hidden Content)

• Possible error deleting folder

Adoby - - General

There should by default not be a folder /admin. Nor /root/admin. However, the error(?) that caused that folder to appear may also have caused other problems. It is impossible to guarantee anything. If your data is not correctly backed up you WILL loose data. Sooner or later.

• OMV/Linux has no problem clearing caches fast enough. I would check the filesystems and/or the configuration of the software that fail. I don't think you can force the cache to be smaller. The cache is designed to use (almost) all free RAM. All you can do is force Linux to write dirty pages quicker. And that way make OMV slower and less efficient. But the pages are still cached in the read cache even after they are written.

• install usb 16 gig/14 gig

Adoby - - General

Do things in steps, in a reasonable order. And reboot between each step. That way you can figure out exactly why the USB won't boot. You can even clone the thumbdrive before steps you suspect can mess OMV up. First a basic install. Add a user. Member of ssh and sudo so you can login remotely using ssh or putty. Then a full update. Then install the flash plugin. Don't mess it up! Editing fstab is sensitive stuff. If you mess it up OMV may not boot. Other can do it, so you should be able to, witho…

• This seems normal, even if I am unaccustomed to these large amounts of RAM. That is a beast of a OMV NAS. Most of the RAM is used. Little is free. But still most of the used RAM is available if needed. This is just as it should be. If you get poor network performance, then lack of memory certainly doesn't seem to be the cause. Drivers (wrong or missing kernel modules) might be a problem. But before you assume that, test the network performance using iperf. Most likely iperf is already installed …

• Advice about microSD card

Adoby - - General

Yes, A1 should definitely be good enough. I don't know if the HC2 card reader interface can take any advantage of the even faster random access A2 offer. But at least I assume the HC2 can't use the new A2 features for command queueing and caching. But also I assume that A2 does not hurt the HC2 performance. It seems that availability and price for 64GB A2 cards may be better than for 64GB A1 cards. At least on a cursory check on Amazon.de. So it may sometimes be cheaper to get an A2 than an A1..…

• - Check in top. Free and available memory. What does it say? - And in top or htop, what threads are consuming cycles and memory? Anything that stands out?

• Linux, by default, use "free" memory to cache disk. If some app need more memory, then some of the caches will be deleted and the memory used for the app. So a Linux system always have close to 100% memory used. That is normal. Depending on what tool you use you can see this as either free or available RAM. Free RAM should be close to zero. Available RAM should be significantly more, or swapping to disk may start to free up RAM, and that slows the computer down a lot. You can use top or htop to …