Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 993.

• Openmediavaut Systems Crashed

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from votdev: “This is very simple with OMV5. Copy your backup to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and execute # omv-salt stage run deploy ” Is this approach valid only for OMV5 or is this also applicable to migrate from OMV4 to OMV5?

• Openmediavaut Systems Crashed

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from votdev: “To make it short, it is not trivial to implement a backup/restore feature and there are currently other topics on the todo list with much more higher priority. ” At least a limited configuration backup possibility would be really, really helpful, which e.g. only includes the configuration of the OMV base system (users + permissions, shared folders and shares etc.). So in terms of the extent of what is possible with OMV, as long as no other plugin is installed. I understand th…

• You can check with CLI> testparm if the Samba configuration has accepted your change.

• Files In SMB Share Invisible

cabrio_leo - - CIFS/SMB

Thank you for posting the solution

• What you can do (with a little less comfort) is, to dispence with persistent network connections and use a small script (cmd batch file) to connect to the NAS in case you need it. 1. Disconnect all persistent network connections in Explorer 2. Write a small script e.g. "Connectshares.cmd" with the following content: net use /persistent:no X: \\server\share password /user:domain\username 3. Add a new line with a different drive letter for every share you want to connect to. Password and user name…

• Quote from Adoby: “Or ask Microsoft to change Windows so it doesn't mount or check external resources when you login? ” Good luck! But seriously, I think this is Windows behavior. If you login and you have persistent network connections Windows checks the availability of them. That triggers the drives in the NAS to spin up. Quote from Andreas 27: “I really would like to avoid this since this will reduce the live time of the hdd ” I don´t think you need to worry about it. E.g. the load cycle coun…

• Quote from threehappypenguins: “So I thought that enabling FTP with SSL/TLS enabled was the same as SFTP ” No. It´s similar, but not the same. Quote from threehappypenguins: “Isn't it considered SFTP? ” Again No. FTP over SSL/TLS is also known as FTPS. But I have to admit that all I know is from the net. The drawback of FTPS is, that the encryption is optional and it is less supported as SFTP. Quote from threehappypenguins: “Could you help me make things more secure? ” Sorry, again no. I have to…

• Do you have physical access to the NAS or only via remote access? If you are able to connect a keyboard and a monitor then you should login with user root to the OMV command line interface. With the command omv-firstaid you get a selection menu with an option to reset the lan configuration.

• Versuch´ doch bitte mal den Browser Cache zu löschen. Das ist immer der erste Schritt bei solcher Art Probleme.

• Build a Big Capacity NAS (24TB)

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from ness1602: “You (or anyone else) shouldnt be frightening people every step of the way. ” I personally would not use RAID5 especially because of the that danger. RaidZ is completely different because there is a checksum and in case of a drive failure only the used data size must be resilvered instead of the whole disk in classic RAID. Btw: It was not inteded to scare anyone. But if someone is planning a NAS of that big size (for private use) he should know the possible risks.

cabrio_leo - - General

Please take this article into account: What are the different widely used RAID levels and when should I consider them? This sentence about RAID 5 is particularly noteworthy: "Perhaps the most critical issue with RAID 5 arrays, when used in consumer applications, is that they are almost guaranteed to fail when the total capacity exceeds 12TB. This is because the unrecoverable read error (URE) rate of SATA consumer drives is one per every 1014 bits, or ~12.5TB."

• Quote from JonnyGators: “When I see a forum full of people getting help, and people getting help all in the same thread I create asking for help, while my problem goes completely unignored without any troubleshooting attempts at all ” As can be seen from the answers to your thread, that's just not true. If you follow the forum carefully, you will see that there are many threads with a low number of answers. Further argumentation I consider unfortunately useless is your case.

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from raulfg3: “My other suggest is that consider to use ZFS and RAIDZ1 if you do not want to re-copy all the data in case of disk fail , for other hand if your NAS is a backup then a ZFS pool is enought, you need to recopy all the data in case of one disk fail, but have the ability to grow your ZFS pool 1 disk each time. ” Your post was not addressed to me, but allow me to chime in. I´m sorry, but I didn´t understand anything what you wrote. Could you please explain again what you mean wit…

• VirtualBOX freeze..

cabrio_leo - - Plugins

The relevant settings of my main PC´s ASUS motherboard are for example: - Intel Virtualization Technology: Enabled - VT-d: Enabled

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from Pixcd: “Yes, i will use 20-22 TB, ” What is your intended backup solution? You are aware of 'RAID is not backup? Would you go skydiving without a parachute?' (Quote @geaves)

cabrio_leo - - General

Quote from Pixcd: “4 hard drives of 8TB in Raid 5 and I will have to be good! ” Which kind of RAID do you intend to use - mdadm, hardware-RAID etc.? The problem with mdadm RAID with disk drives of that size is, that it takes ages in case of a rebuild. If availability is not a big case for you should look for another solution. For private use Snapraid/MergerFS may be the better option. In case of RAID you should also check ZFS. Just my two cents.

• Until now I have never edited the config.xml directly. This is the main config database of OMV. So please make a backup copy of that file and save it to a secure place before doing any changes on it! Otherwise this is one of the best methods to be forced to do a complete new OMV installation. If you do a change which is related to mounts afterwards a omv-mkconf fstab is necessary in OMV4, like @geaves has described here: Scheduled job does not start automatically

• I am assuming that there is a general problem with some OMV update. In this thread someone else had exactly the same problem: File system not mounted and missing. His solution: See post #4.

• Quote from golfnut324: “The drive is listed under Storage>Disks and Storage>S.M.A.R.T.>Devices as /dev/sdf. ” That is not sufficient enough. You have to create a filesystem on it (ext4 preferred) and to mount the disk so it is visible under Storage -> File Systems. Then you should see the drive in the USBbackup plugin. After creating of the USBbackup job unmount the drive. The next time when you connect to drive, it is automatically mounted and after completion of the backup task automatically u…

• Clearing plugin or service list

cabrio_leo - - General

I think both services are basic components of OMV like SMB/CIFS or NFS and can´t be removed.