Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 982.

• A mirror? Then do a fresh install from scratch to version 4 or, if you feel lucky, version 5.

• Cooling related? Other activities in the network or in the computer is disturbing? Excessive swapping or low memory conditions? Full filesystems?

• There should be detailed instructions in the file or where you found it. You may need to compile a custom kernel or just copy some files to a folder. Or run a script. None of this can be done inside OMV. You will need to use the command line and possibly another Linux computer or a thumb drive.

• Then I assume that your OMV install is broken. Reinstall from scratch and try again. I have no problems adding or deleting shared folders and services.

• Before you can cleanly delete shared folders you need to disable or delete the services that reference them. For instance a folder shared using smb can only be deleted cleanly after deleting that share in the smb service. You delete shares in the exact reverse order from how you create them. The plugin resetperms can help you figure out what services reference what shared folder.

• It is easy, you have three options: 0. You check that the cabling and power is OK. Swap and unplug replug. 1. You fix it with some simple restorative surgery on the NAS rootfs. 2. You restore a working backup or clone. 3. You reinstall from scratch. You can find more details about 1. if you do a web search for something like "ext-4 fs error, what should I do". It might be helpful to boot up from some live Linux distro on a thumbdrive and do the NAS brain surgery on the SSD from there. Perhaps us…

• Purpose of adding network interface

Adoby - - Network

Yes, there is an emergency procedure to quickly and easily restore function if something break. In fact there are (at least) two: 1. Boot from a cloned copy of the SD card from a working setup. 2. Re-install from scratch. Here is a old post about how I clone my SD cards for my HC2s. New to OMV and Linux

Adoby - - Network

You can set a fixed ip or specify that DHCP should be used. So no worries and no need to uninstall anything. However, if you mess up you may lose contact with the device. If you are prone to messing things up you shouldn't be using OMV...

• NTFS Drives

Adoby - - General

Yes. OMV allows you to mount NTFS drives. That means that you can copy files to/from NTFS drives directly from/to shared folders in OMV. That may be much faster than copying over the network. I would recommend you to use the plugin resetperms after copying files into shared folders directly. If you copy over the network that is not needed. Using NTFS drives for shared folders may cause problems and low performance.

Adoby - - Network

I used to add the network interface and also set a fixed IP in the GUI for my HC2. Worked fine. But I don't do that anymore. Also works fine. Now I rely on my small Gl-inet router to handle IP assignments and assigning name. Only one problem: The GUI for the Gl-inet router is for some reason inaccessible. I can login, but then it is blank. I use the Gl-inet router for DHCP, and local DNS using dnsmasq and also to bridge between 4G on my phone and the WiFi mesh. But everything still works fine, a…

Adoby - - Network

Yes. The default settings are to use DHCP. That means that you have to have some other way to decide or figure out what the IP is. And it will work in any network as long as there is a DHCP server there. I use, just as @grokov do, a router with a DHCP server with a static lease for my HC2. So the DHCP server always gives the same IP to my HC2. You can configure DHCP in the network settings manually as well. For servers you are likely to prefer to use the same IP always. But if you have a local D…

Adoby - - Network

If it works, don't rock the boat. Unless you are bored and have good backups. OMV may run on a box with more than one network interface and/or you may not like the default setting. I haven't added any network interface for my HC2s.

• Delete some files to come under 85% usage. Or see this: how to modify the 85% threshold filesystem notification?

• Rsync in Openmediavault

Adoby - - RSync

Sure, feel free to ask for support via PM, but send me your credit card info first.

• Share root of HD

Adoby - - General

No, your suggested procedures should work very fine. But it isn't quite clear what folder OP wants to rename and if he intends to use your procedures.

• Replace data hard drive with new one

Adoby - - General

You can also take this as a great opportunity to test your backup procedures. Remove the drive in question and pretend that it is broken. The add the new drive and restore from backups. Don't use the old drive, it is broken, remember...

• Share root of HD

Adoby - - General

I see a great possibility for a nice learning experience. If you rename any folder that OMV is using, then you may break parts of OMV. OMV use the names and paths of files and folders to know what to do with them. If you rename a folder that OMV use, for instance a share, then OMV will not be able to find that folder any more. In OMV 57 I suspect that the telepathic interface is fully implemented. Then you don't have to tell OMV in detail what you want it to do. Instead OMV reads your mind and c…

• Shell commands

Adoby - - General

The internet is crowded with command line tutorials. If you search for "bash command line tutorial" you will get lots of great information and help. Bash is one of the command line shells you can use in OMV, but the other you are likely to encounter, sh and dash, are almost identical. Here are a few nice sites for command line beginners: unr.edu/research-computing/the…ng-the-grid/bash-commands dev.to/awwsmm/101-bash-command…beginners-to-experts-30je By knowing a little about the command line you…

• Do Rsync and SnapRAID work well together?

Adoby - - RSync

It should work fine. I use rsync with mergerfs. But do some tests... One thing bit me: Since mergerfs (and snapraid?) is fuse based, running as a normal program and and not in the kernel, you may get errors when changing timestamps for folders. This caused problems when I tried to run a backup snapshot using rsync to a share on a mergerfs volume. It has something to do with the kernel only allows the exact same user to update a timestamp as set it. Or root. Or something. It has caused me quite s…

• Rsync in Openmediavault

Adoby - - RSync

I'm not sure what you mean by the logs. Were you successful? Could the server pull a backup from the client? Note: Unless you have centralized login you must be careful using the right users and passwords. I always setup two users at once on all my computers and servers. One is me with ability to escalate to root via sudo. The other is guests with only read access to some resources. Please note that running ssh-server or creating NFS shares on a client computer makes it into a server. With all t…