Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 22.

• SnapRAID SMART HDD test = Reliable?

thedarkness - - Plugins

Quote from wepee: “Quote from thedarkness: “I have a friend with a very used drive (2 bad unrecoverable bad sectors and 1300h uptime) which is rated by SNAPRAID at 99% failure, lol. My friend is aware of it and receives a daily SMART email from OMV, which monitors constantly the drive. If the health will degrade, he'll swap the drive. ” @thedarkness Thank you for sharing your finding. In my opinion, I guess it is just a false alarm, or some sort of weird reporting / hard failure prediction that …

• Quote from ness1602: “I always recommend adding hddsentinel to your box,and regularly executing it and monitoring disks. ” I use hddsentinel on Windows, can it work on Linux too? Is it a daemon and sends regular reports, or you have to access it via a web gui? EDIT: Found on the HDDsentinel website!!! Great, it can send an automated script everyday! Thanks for the hint buddy! @wepee have you enabled SMART reporting from OVM itself? That one is more detailed. I have a friend with a very used driv…

• Quote from gderf: “Quote from thedarkness: “@wepee Try the script I have attached, should be working with your setup. ” You should also post the source of the script. Please provide the URL. ” Woops, I forgot. It's from here zackreed.me/snapraid-split-parity-sync-script, but does not work as-is, you need to change some things you can find in the comments in order to get it working on OVM5 and dual parity or single parity. Quote from wepee: “Quote from thedarkness: “@wepee Try the script I have a…

• @wepee Try the script I have attached, should be working with your setup.

• Quote from gderf: “Quote from thedarkness: “Well... Because he has two parity drives, so I assumed he has this kind of config. ” Multiple parity drives and split parity drives are completely different things. ” Thanks for the heads up, I completely misunderstood it. Right so is he running 2 parity disk to be fault tolerant with 2 drives? I'll get the script updated for this scenario too. I tried many things and for my use this script the best: set and forget, and if something goes wrong, a daily…

• Well... Because he has two parity drives, so I assumed he has this kind of config.

• Quote from wepee: “Quote from thedarkness: “Quote from wepee: “I am trying to learn as much about the little known SNAPRAID technology from its FAQ: snapraid.it/faq#whatisit But I could not find an answer......to my questions below 1) What happen, if you accidentally write a file / update a file to the disk while SYNC operation started? 2) Should SYNC operation ONLY start when there is not disk write/read operation? 3) My NAS does not TURN ON 24/7, but only when I wants to backup data on demand …

• Transfer the rrd

thedarkness - - General

Mee too! I'm interested in how to transfer these stats to a new installation (for the same system obviously).

• Quote from wepee: “I am trying to learn as much about the little known SNAPRAID technology from its FAQ: snapraid.it/faq#whatisit But I could not find an answer......to my questions below 1) What happen, if you accidentally write a file / update a file to the disk while SYNC operation started? 2) Should SYNC operation ONLY start when there is not disk write/read operation? 3) My NAS does not TURN ON 24/7, but only when I wants to backup data on demand basis, so what is the best time to do: SYNC …

• There is no ideal configuration, but you could: - run one sync every day - run one scrub after every sync for N% data that is older than N days This is easily automated with the script attached to this post (rename it to sh) This script will: - Always sync every time you set it --- configure a cron job to run the script every 24 hours - If sync is successful, scrub 8% of the array older than 5 days --- this value can be customised see the script - Send you a nice email including smart disk stats…

• WOL issue

thedarkness - - Network

Yes, it's a compromise and I can live with it. Energy in my country is expensive and my (light) use does not justify having a server running for most of the day. If your daily activities are predictable like me (I work 9to5) it's fine. I schedule to turn on the server when I come back home and turn it off when I go to sleep. If I need the server at work, I connect to the VPN Server running on my router and I wake the server up, the whole process takes a minute at most. If your router does not su…

• WOL issue

thedarkness - - Network

WOL can be triggered in different ways. Some advanced routers have it integrated in their WebUI, or you could use an app from your smartphone. You could also schedule a wake up, there's a plugin for that.

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Quote from thedarkness: “Yes, cron jobs are sent with the 'root' sender, but it does not make sense in my opinion. And breaks my email provider. ” This is a Debian default. gmail has no problem with it. ” Yes, I know Gmail works fine but it's a cosmetic issue too. Potentially other mail providers could break. Quote from votdev: “Quote from ryecoaaron: “ Quote from thedarkness: “Yes, cron jobs are sent with the 'root' sender, but it does not make sense in my opinion. And b…

• Quote from ryecoaaron: “Those emails are sent as root because they are system emails (probably cron). If you want it to go to a different address, modify /etc/aliases and then run newaliases. Whether OMV should change this or not is a different question. ” Yes, cron jobs are sent with the 'root' sender, but it does not make sense in my opinion. And breaks my email provider. Quote from votdev: “Postfix should already be configured to replace root with the configured email address. ” I encountered…

• Hi people, During my testing with OMV (version 5) I discovered a behaviour that I really didn't like: majority of emails are sent with the sender root, only in rare occasions the email address is used. This can cause two issues: - OMV emails might go into spam. Also receiving emails from root it not nice. - Some provides simply do not support this configuration. One of them is Zoho Mail, which I use. When I configured this provider, I was not getting emails from OMV and logs were throwing errors…

• [HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

thedarkness - - Plugins

Quote from jollyrogr: “I checked my scheduled tasks and the report I attached to this thread was the report I was using. I think I was using the script unmodified but didn't remember because it has been so long since I used it. Looking at the script, all the output from the sync and scrub commands are directed to $TMP_OUTPUT variable which is included in the email. If it's possible to only include partial command output in the email, that might be beyond my bash capabilities. ” Thanks but don't …

thedarkness - - Plugins

Quote from gderf: “Quote from thedarkness: “Script comes from here, I only removed 'wait' instructions otherwise would not run on Debian 10/OMV5 (adviced by the author). If you want to test it, also install python-markdown. ” If you read the posts at the bottom of the page where the script is you'll see there are two reports (one mine) of it hanging at the end of the run on: 'python -m markdown /tmp/snapRAID.out' Today it ran fine, but yesterday it hung. ” lol, I did, and I am the other user, th…

• Should I still use EXT4 or not?

thedarkness - - General

Quote from Adoby: “Yes, both BTRFS and ZFS have advanced features that are missing in EXT4. Things like snapshots, copy-on-write, checksums and more. But unless you intend to use these features, and know how to use them, they are useless. And you might just as well use EXT4. If you think that you need the advanced features, go ahead and learn how to use them. I think BTRFS and ZFS are not "ready", because they lack tools that makes it easy and safe for normal users to use the advanced features. …

thedarkness - - Plugins

Quote from jollyrogr: “Here's the script I was using. ” Thanks buddy, will test it tonight. If works good I guess we (actually you, if it's your work) could make a merge request to have it updated for everybody. EDIT: Looks like it's just an older version of the official one, no edits at all. It exactly matches this version of the script. Are you sure you got yours? EDIT2: I am currently testing this script that seems to be less spammy and bit more structured, but the script does not terminate c…

• Should I still use EXT4 or not?

thedarkness - - General

Quote from Adoby: “Because you don't know: Yes! You should definitely use EXT4! Otherwise you would know exactly why and wouldn't need to ask. ” It makes sense. Thank you