Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Put a current sensing switch module on the 12 volt line, aND use that to control the fan(s). Here is one that should be suitable. It has a delay as well, so the fan can run a short while after spindown. amazon.com/dp/B01N0OKHFX/ref=c…m_r_mt_dp_U_tbpkEb3D8SH4N More primitive: Build your own power sensing switch. Amplify the voltage drop over an extra length of wire using an op-amp and use the output to drive a mosfet that controls the fan. Should be compact enough to fit inside. Edit: The module …

• What are people who use OMV called?

Adoby - - Off-Topic

"People"? OMVores, as in Omnivores? OMVies?

• WOL is very hardware dependent. It works fine on some hardware but not at all on other. You need to investigate if it works at all with your specific hardware.

• Docker on SD card

Adoby - - Docker

The wear leveling on a SSD is much better than on a SD card. This means that it is perfectly fine to use a SSD for dockers with metadata databases and so on. This is a perfect use of a SSD both for longevity and for performance reasons But if you do the same with a SD card the SD card can be expected to fail soon. One way to improve the longevity of the SD card could be to overprovision. For instance only use 8GB of a 64GB or 128GB SD card. Then even the simple wear leveling on the SD card could…

• I am pretty sure that it is the external HDD that is the problem. I don't think it is fully compatible with Linux, and especially not with Debian 10. OMV/Debian tries to use it with UASP and then it chokes. The fix might be to "blacklist" the USB interface from using UASP so that it instead use the slower normal USB 3 drivers. I have no idea how to blacklist USB interfaces. I only use USB drives that are fully compatible with Linux and UASP. But this is a common problem so I am very sure you get…

• Problem with Static IP

Adoby - - Network

It seems Chrome sometimes cache a bit too aggressively. I very much prefer FireFox.

• OMV using a USB drive

Adoby - - General

I suspect everything is fine when you login without the data drives. The problem is that you don't login as a valid user with the right password. Can you access the web gui when booting without the data drives? If so use the web gui to add some user and set password. Make sure you add the user to the groups sudo and ssh. After that you should be able to login as the new user. And you should be able to execute commands as root by prefixing the commands with sudo. And you should then be able to ru…

• Problem with Static IP

Adoby - - Network

No need to ask here. Just try with some other browser! It might be enough to clear the browser cache.

• OMV is based on Debian. Indeed, it IS Debian with the OMV packages added. If you need/want a version of rsync other than what Debian provides, I suspect that you will have to compile your own version from source code. Or use some fork of rsync.

• Cannot access GUI, ip issue?

Adoby - - Network

Using a thumb drive for the root filesystem makes it easier to clone the root fs. Just clone the thumb drive.

• gparted, systemrescueCD error on boot

Adoby - - General

Three hints: 1. Check the media. Possibly use another thumb drive or whatever it is you are using. Try it on some other device. 2. Check the bios. Is the bios in the computer correctly configured to permit boot from the media? Especially check uefi/legacy settings. 3. Try some other live distro. For instance Ubuntu. If needed you can install and run whatever.

• Problem with Static IP

Adoby - - Network

There are two ways to connect to the OMV server. Using an IP. Using a host name. IP always work. But may be inconvenient. Using a host name is more elegant and convenient but only works if your network supports it. Local dns/name resolution/dnsmasq. Modern routers all support it. Don't buy one that doesn't... SSH makes you confirm that you really want to connect to a certain computer the first time. After that SSH recognize that computer and allows you to connect to it without asking for extra c…

• Access share from work laptop

Adoby - - Network

Quote from ozboss: “I cannot access my shares in my local network with the laptop I got from work, neither can my girlfriend with her laptop. With my laptop the server doesn't even show up, with the other laptop it does but always has the companies domain in front of the username. Is there any way to figure out how to connect to OMV without getting our IT departments involved? ” I suggest that you DO get your IT departments involved. Before you break the laptops. Check the papers you signed when…

• I assume that you first partition, then format. I would advice you to use some nice gui utility like gparted, from some other media. Otherwise you could use parted and mkfs. There are reams of tutorials that tell you how to partition and format a drive. mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 is one step, after partitioning. It is not uncommon that fake or damaged SSDs are sold as new cheap. They look like the real thing and report the correct size. But if you attempt to repartition it is impossible. Instead of 128…

• What you need to do is figure out what is the bottleneck and change that. And then identify the new bottleneck and then change that. And so on. We can only guess. Only you can find out what actually is wrong. If Ubuntu, EXT4 and NFS both for server and client is slow, then you have to examine cabling, network settings and driver settings. Otherwise try OMV, EXT4 and NFS on the server. Then SMB. And so on, until you see what is the problem. Both reading and writing. I suspect Ubuntu, EXT4 and NFS…

• Well, if you can't see anything to update using apt-get update, then you won't see it in the GUI either. Could it be possible that your system is fully up to date? When was the last time you ran an update & upgrade? You could try to install something, to verify that apt works as normal. Do you have mc (Midnight Commander) installed? Great shell file manager. Also works fine over SSH. Handles fish, SSH and ftp. And much more. sudo apt install mc

• Omv Doesn't get IP anymore

Adoby - - Network

No problem. I just thought it could be at a school or workplace. Where messing with the network and devices could break other stuff and possibly prevent normal operations. But it is at home. Then feel free to try whatever. My stop comment wasn't directed at cabrio_leo but at Zio_Peppe.

• And what was the result when you ran apt-get update? As far as I know the GUI update is just and apt-get update. Same with upgrade. Perhaps you have everything updated and upgraded using apt-get recently?

• Most likely your OMV NAS is no longer connected to the internet. Check your network and router. Can you access the internet from elsewhere in the LAN? Have you changed something in the network? Gateway/Router? You can also login to the OMV NAS using SSH and try to ping some site on the internet. For instance google.com.

• Omv Doesn't get IP anymore

Adoby - - Network

STOP!!! Again i ask: Is this in a school or workplace? Hospital? Do you have permission to mess with the network? Why can't you ask for information about the configuration? It is perfectly possible (even likely if in a school/workplace) for the switches to be on separate networks despite seemingly being connected to each other. And it is perfectly possible that the switches are configured to deliberately prevent what you seem to be trying to do? Contact however is in charge of the network and as…