Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• My grip with WatchTower is that it can (and does) update pi-hole containers without bridging over Pi-holes admin webpage settings (if altered from default). New pi-hole Docker images may require new variables, meaning Watchtower creates the potential to crash your LAN's DNS resolution without notice. And, frankly, I don't know what else it does as it "swaps" out images and containers. ______________________________________________________________ The following was done on an amd64 platform: Foll…

• Quote from loso: “anybody can help me with pihole/docker/macvlan? ” First, tell me you're not using WatchTower. Give me a day or so. I haven't installed/reinstalled pi-hole in a Docker lately (in OMV4). I'll run through it again. Sometimes they change the container which may necessitate changing some of the variables.

• Problem installing Openmediavault

crashtest - - General

(This should only be factor outside of the VPN.) You might consider taking a look at the upstream DNS server entry on your router. Sometimes ISP's play DNS games. You could try setting your router to a -> public DNS server. If you go this route, it's best to use a server with ANYCAST, that supports DNSSEC.

• Problem installing Openmediavault

crashtest - - General

How are you doing Calvin? Sorry that this didn't go right for you, the first time. However, I just completed a R-PI scripted build from scratch and it completed without an issue. (I'm in the US, in the North East.) Given the errors you posted, I suspect that your location is pulling files from a Raspbian mirror that's experiencing problems. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about that. Since Raspbian is an open source project, often supported by volunteers, I've found that supporting mirr…

• Problem adding hardrive

crashtest - - General

Quote from KM0201: “Since the OMV update will pull a kernel upgrade, it will run update-grub and resolve the issue. The only time this wouldn't fix the problem, is if the update did not pull a kernel update for some reason. ” ryecoaaron pointed that out, when I mentioned this. _____________________________________________________ (Noting that this issue doesn't apply to SBC's - no BIOS.) As part of the scripted installs for i386, users are sent to the net install version of Debian which is fully…

crashtest - - General

Quote from KM0201: “Thankfully, it's fairly easy to resolve, ” The scripted build runs grub-update, but that would only apply to i386 builds, or other affected users that install OMV-Extra's before installing a data drive. Now we'll see if Volker will add the command to the install script in amd64 iso's.

• Take a look at this Getting Started Guide . In the OMV5 guide, on page 59 in the current guide, you'll see the process for doing an Rsycn drive-to-drive backup. As you're probably aware, there really is no difference between drive to drive and RAID to RAID copies, except your device will be /dev/md0 or /dev/md1, etc. Rsycn copies from mount point to mount point. ((*Note* don't use the --delete switch until the copy is fully verified.)) With anything close to 12TB the copy is going to take a l-o-…

crashtest - - General

Explain it succinctly... Really, all I can do is speculate because I don't have a PC that has this particular problem - I can't test it. But I believe it's BIOS related and I can describe what "I think" is happening. (Anyone that has tested this, please chime in.) ____________________________ In the initial setup, the boot drive is set by device path. The BIOS of the server, which handles hardware, is a factor in determining which physical devices are offered to the operating system and in what …

• Lost all drives

crashtest - - RAID

Quote from KM0201: “Hope the OP's situation works out better than the guy who lost 150tb... but data loss is data loss ” I try to work with users but, with RAID, the hole starts out 10' deep. With my sympathies to @LarryM04 for his situation; when users don't have backup, RAID administers some very harsh lessons.

• Lost all drives

crashtest - - RAID

Calling @geaves !

• ZFS Hardware requirements

crashtest - - General

Quote from HannesJo: “I think you misunderstood me in my basic criticism of reasoning. ” Maybe - it wouldn't be the first time. _______________________________ It should be noted that many OMV users do not have backup, and I believe it's higher than 50% . While this is your thread, others will read it. Some of what is written is intended for them, in the hope that readers won't take unnecessary risks AND will maintain solid back up so they don't end up back here. Some come back anyway, with dead…

• When you think of your server...?

crashtest - - Off-Topic

Why my server won't make and bring me a sandwich... (Maybe ryecoaaron can come up with a plugin for that. )

crashtest - - General

Yeah, and I should acknowledge @macom . As memory serves, I think I stole that little process from one of his posts. (Clean and simple.)

crashtest - - General

Quote from KM0201: “OP, this is the answer you seek. I've yet to see this NOT fix this problem. ” Now that you mention it, and put it that way, maybe this should be added into the build guide/process somewhere. It's a fairly common build problem.

crashtest - - General

Quote from HannesJo: “If I understand it correctly, ZFS/BTRFS/SnapRAID will report when a data error has been detected and corrected. Maybe you have some experience in this area? ” Yes, I've seen error detections with SNAPRAID. (Corrections, in SNAPRAID require a separate follow up operation. In the SNAPRAID case, I set up a backup server that, as of day 1, had very old disks (around 5 years old), just to see what would happen. It's an anecdotal test to be sure, but I have seen error corrections…

crashtest - - General

Quote from Scorp21: “OMV is install on a stick (sda1) ,I don t understand why ,if hardisk are plugged ,this message appear. If I unplug hardisk,the system start. ” Try this: - Disconnect the data drive - Boot into OMV (no data drives connected) - On the command line, type update-grub - shut down - connect the data drive - boot up

• ISO to IMG

crashtest - - General

Use this -> R-PI guide.

crashtest - - General

Quote from HannesJo: “Rot bits actually occur astronomically rarely ” OK, first realize that "astronomically" large numbers apply to modern day hard drives. Where talking about "terra-bytes" these days where 1 terra-byte is a Trillon bytes or 8 trillion bits. (Mathematicians, please chime in if I get the math wrong.) A good raw bit error rate is 1X10-6 or 1 in a million. Even with error correction, 1x10-6 can be improved to 1x10-8 or even better, maybe 1x10-9, but 1x10-9 is still 1 error in a bi…

• My "story" with J5005-ITX

crashtest - - My NAS Build

Quote from jimmy_cr: “Here is my story: ” Quote from jollyrogr: “I'm gonna be honest, that's not much of a story. More like specs and pics. ” I have to agree with @jollyrogr. A story would be; "I used the Asrock J5005-ITX (with spec's) for a 100 user network server, and it worked fine!" I do like how it seems to be up out of harms way and there's nothing wrong with using an UPS.

• SnapRAID SMART HDD test = Reliable?

crashtest - - Plugins

With standard SMART testing (I do short tests), and with SMART notifications activated, the follow are the stat's that I pay attention to for spinning drives: (This info was gleaned from the backblaze study.) SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count. SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors. SMART 188 – Command_Timeout. SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count. SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable. A "1" count in any stat, in itself, doesn't mean anything. But if these counts start incrementing upward, …