Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Problem serving USB volume over CIFS

Adoby - - General

I have no idea if a HDD with LVM is usable with OMV. I doubt it. Not without running LVM. But I have never tried it. Just test it and see if it works. Perhaps you can create virtual volumes on the HDD that you can use in the VM? I have only done as I described above, added storage using the OMV GUI. I have the exact same users and passwords on all my servers and all my clients, created in exactly the same order so that UID match. All users in OMV are members of the group "user". Privileged users…

• Rsnapshot change start time

Adoby - - Plugins

Try it, and keep an eye on it.

• Rsnapshot change start time

Adoby - - Plugins

You could try it, but they are likely to be overwritten when updating. See this thread: Does anyone know how to make RSnapshot's cron file stick Also, we are discussing the rsnapshot plugin. I assume that you could simply install rsnapshot proper and use that without the OMV GUI. Or you could do as I do, roll your own rsync snapshot scripts and run them whenever you like from entries in crontab. And do everything the super-cool command line way. github.com/WikiBox/snapshot.sh

• Virtualised Desktop on same machine

Adoby - - My NAS Build

What HDD limit? With my RPi4 I have a dual HDD USB3 enclosure with 2x8TB HDDs. I have tested it with 2x12TB HDDs and it worked fine. I suspect that 2X16TB HDDs would work fine as well. There are USB enclosures with room for even more storage. I'm talking about powered enclosures for 3.5" HDDs. The NAS will share data over GbE, that will most likely be the bandwidth bottleneck, even if you have an enclosure for several HDDs sharing a singĺe USB3 cable. You could also flip my suggestion: Run the O…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

There are many options. Some good, some bad. Do some experimenting and figure out what suits you! Yet anoter alternative could be to use a small SBC for a OMV NAS. And the PC as a PC. A RPi4 would work fine, as long as you get a good powered external USB3 disk. Or some other SBC. I take care to avoid desktop/backup USB disk from WD or Seagate. Build your own from a powered enclosure and a big 24/7 NAS grade HDD. A small NAS would simplify things for you greatly. You could have extra disks in the…

• resize particiones SD

Adoby - - General

If the 7 GB is full, you are doing something wrong. That is Bad™. I write about this here: Some advice moving rootfs to SSD This is also discussed in many other threads here. To resize partitions on the SD card, remove the SD card and take it to a Linux computer with a SD card reader and the software gparted. If you don't have another Linux computer you can boot a windows computer from a USB thumbdrive with a live Linux distribution installed. For instance Ubuntu. It is good to have plenty of un…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

No, you don't need two GPU. OMV doesn't need a GPU, it has a web interface. You manage OMV remotely over the network. The easiest setup is to take a slightly overpowered desktop PC, add virtualization software, and install OMV as a VM. Also add some disks for storage. And you and your desktop, with OMV in the background, can live happily ever after. A more advanced setup is to take a slightly overpowered server PC. Install some hosting OS. And then install both OMV and the desktop as VMs. And ac…

Adoby - - General

I'm afraid this is not a bug or an a idea. It is the normal way to add storage to OMV. Is the disk formatted as NTFS? OMV is not compatible with NTFS used for shared storage. You can, in a pinch, use NTFS for backups or for restoring data. But not for shared data shared by OMV. It is possible to add correctly formatted disks with existing compatible filesystems to OMV, and use them for shared folders. But then you STILL have to use the GUI to add the disks and mount the filesystems and create sh…

• No. I just use a normal Firefox install. Not sure how it syncs, but it does. I have the same shortcuts on all clients. And if I change on one it syncs to the rest.

• How I use Heimdall: I don't. Instead I have a folder called "local" with shortcuts in Firefox. Synced between my Firefox installs.

• During installation I belive an update is scheduled to run automatically. If you try to update at the same time, it will fail, as you saw. Apt is already running in the background. The fix is to drink a glass of water, feed the cat and do the dishes. After that it will work fine. Or at the very least you will get some other error...

Adoby - - General

Let OMV handle the USB disk. OMV can mount it by it self during boot. Use the GUI to add the disk and wipe it. Then create a new filesystem on it. EXT4. Not NTFS! Then mount the new empty filesystem. Then make some shared folders. Then configure smb shares. All of this is done in the OMV GUI.

• What to choose OMV4 or OMV5

Adoby - - General

Quote from Mr. Ralph: “@Adoby Thanks, have maybe a small dumb question; If I get a blank HDD, install in OMV and format in EXT4, then in my Windows PC, just open my Files, it is possible to transfer to OMV via drag and drop, like I do inside my Windows PC ? ” Yes. That is the whole point of having a NAS. Network Attached Storage. You need to create a SMB share on the HDD in the NAS. And you may then have to jump through some hoops to open the share on the NAS on your Windows PC, in order to drag…

• Feedback about videos and OMV 5.x status

Adoby - - General

No. It is not out of beta. OMV 4 is still the latest official release.

• OMV + KODI or any video player problems

Adoby - - General

Try with another movie. Some combinations of player and encoding have trouble skipping in the movie. Same if the movie is damaged or incomplete. Just to eliminate the possibility... 80mbps is very slow. I assume you mean 80MBps?

• completely restore the omv configuration

Adoby - - General

I don't bother preparing for a full system restore. If needed I can do a full reinstall from scratch. Instead I backup my data so I can restore any file or folder lost. And I clone my root filesystem so I can restore it if something goes wrong when updating or reconfiguring. I use four methods: 1. Image of SD card with root filesystem. 2. Daily automatic rsync snapshots of NAS shares/folders to another NAS. 3. Periodical updates of cold storage backups. Also as rsync snapshots, but to loose HDDs…

Adoby - - General

My recommendation is that you get a new HDD for storage before you start installing OMV. Also that you make sure that you have good backups before you start moving data around. Or, if you don't think your data is valuable enough to backup, simply delete it. You can install OMV without any storage HDDs present and add HDDs for storage later. And then wipe and format.

Adoby - - General

OMV is not compatible with NTFS for the data storage. You will, unfortunately, have to reformat to EXT4 or some other Linux native filesystem. You can, however, use NTFS external USB drives for backups. The easiest way could be to figure out how to backup your current data safely. Once that is done you can reformat, setup OMV 4 or OMV 5 and then restore your data from the backups. So either buy a new backup HDD or a new HDD to use for the shared data, and use the current as backup. If you don't …

• Also try to login to the GUI as "admin" and not as a user.

• 5.0.5 - Is this beta?

Adoby - - Updates/Upgrades

Yes, OMV 5 is still beta. OMV 4 is the current released version of OMV. But it seems that many are already using OMV 5 for "production" installs. OMV 5 has been in beta for a long time and seem pretty stable. I still use only OMV 4 for real installs, not just testing.