Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 53.

• Quote from jollyrogr: “Quote from wepee: “Quote from jollyrogr: “You are using bios boot, right? ” No, actually I using Win10 PC as host for a virtual machine.I run OMV 5 within Win 10 OS, thru Virtual Box. ” Right, and within vbox, you can use bios boot or EFI for the virtual machine.Point being, if it's EFI, I don't think the update-grub command would work. ” @jollyrogr Thanks for your response. Hmm....I did not try it. I will give it a go and see what happens.

• Quote from crashtest: “The lesson here is, if it will work in a VM, it will work on real hardware (95% of the time). This is how I test new methods and approaches. It's a useful vetting tool. On the other hand, if it doesn't work in the VM that doesn't mean it won't work on real hardware. ” Yes noted and agreed

• Quote from jollyrogr: “Something else to try - select the box to say that the drive is hot-pluggable? ” I tried this method again, set all my virtual drives to be hot-pluggable. All virtual disks fully connected and it was running as per original set up. booted up OMV in VB and once it has fully loaded and the console is prompting for ROOT and keying for PASSWORD. I went to setting in VB, detached virtual disk no.3, then I went and attached a new virtual disk no. 9. But eventually, OMV complaine…

• @crashtest, you are right, I cannot rely fully Virtual Box to perform full simulation of hard disk failure. It behaves differently. Maybe I have to configure something to make it behave more like a real hardware, I suppose? I tested on my real OMV hardware, and guess what? It complained that it has detected some errors at the beginning in POST. after loading GRUB. But eventually on my real OMV hardware, I was able to boot as per normal load up OMV. It was able to load the OMV web interface (log …

• Quote from jollyrogr: “You are using bios boot, right? ” No, actually I using Win10 PC as host for a virtual machine. I run OMV 5 within Win 10 OS, thru Virtual Box.

• Quote from jollyrogr: “Something else to try - select the box to say that the drive is hot-pluggable? ” I think I have try that before, no use still the same, but I can try it again.

• Quote from jollyrogr: “I would have looked at the journal to see what the issue was. ” Err....I did look at the journal by typing in: journalctl -xb But the output has got 1,633 lines, what error message do I need to look for? I have no idea.

• I am wondering...... If I leave the virtual hard disk intact. Rebuild another new VB using OMV image file on clean new fresh virtual disk (.vdi) Next, slowing migrate all virtual hard disks to the new server. Except virtual hard disk no.3 Replace a virtual hard disk no.9 -> wipe and format in EXT4 Will this method work?

• Quote from crashtest: “Quote from wepee: “You are talking about quirks..........would the outcome behave differently(than using a virtual hardware) if it happen using real hardware? ” Unfortunately, yes. I have found that if something works in a VM, it will work when using real hardware. The other way around, however, is not always true. Something that works on hardware, may not work in a VM. VM's are good for testing but the various packages have limitations. Virtual Box is OK for basic testing…

• Quote from crashtest: “The next time around, clone the VM before deleting or removing disk. (It saves a lot of time.) I'd do grub-update in any case to eliminate boot order problems which happen, even with virtual hardware. ” I typed in the grub -update, by it replied: bash: grub: command not found

• Quote from crashtest: “In your case, if you can't get back into the GUI with the disk added back in, you might have to rebuild. ” Yes, I stuck, here.....I don't why in my 2nd time round, I could not undo, what I just did. I previously have VB snapshots, so I think can rebuild it in no time. And start over again.

• Quote from crashtest: “I've experienced some of these issues in VB when dropping hard disks out of the overall line up, in RAID testing. Along with networking problems (running a sub-interface on a sub-interface) there are some interesting quirks when working with virtual hardware. ” You are talking about quirks..........would the outcome behave differently(than using a virtual hardware) if it happen using real hardware?

• Quote from wepee: “I managed to get it to boot: 1) type in my root password, at the last line: Give root password to maintenance. 2) type in the command: mount -a, to mount all my HDDs 2) type in the command: vi/etc/fstab 3) Press "insert" key and begin to edit Within fstab file, I commented out using # to hard disk No.3 to unmount it 4) type in :wq and press enter to save and exit vi editor. 5) reboot the system. Now, I am stuck, Web GUI does not load. ” I am trying to reverse the above action.…

• I managed to get it to boot: 1) type in my root password, at the last line: Give root password to maintenance. 2) type in the command: mount -a, to mount all my HDDs 2) type in the command: vi/etc/fstab 3) Press "insert" key and begin to edit Within fstab file, I commented out using # to hard disk No.3 to unmount it 4) type in :wq and press enter to save and exit vi editor. 5) reboot the system. Now, I am stuck, Web GUI does not load.

• Hi, I am running OMV 5 in Virtual Box v6.1 for testing out SnapRAID. So far I have tested out UNDELETE function is working, except that you have to bear in mind, reading from the Snapraid Manual from: snapraid.it/manual that permissions on the files cannot be recovered to the original state. Luckily there is a way to solve this problem, by reading @wolf8auer pdf manual: forum.openmediavault.org/index…reconnect-shared-folders/ However, I stuck in trying out hard disk failure.........what happens …

• SnapRAID SMART HDD test = Reliable?

wepee - - Plugins

Quote from thedarkness: “I have a friend with a very used drive (2 bad unrecoverable bad sectors and 1300h uptime) which is rated by SNAPRAID at 99% failure, lol. My friend is aware of it and receives a daily SMART email from OMV, which monitors constantly the drive. If the health will degrade, he'll swap the drive. ” @thedarkness Thank you for sharing your finding. In my opinion, I guess it is just a false alarm, or some sort of weird reporting / hard failure prediction that is probably not upd…

• Just found a valuable source of information regarding about setting up a basic SnapRAID configuration. How to use SnapRAID. 1. It shows you how to recover file that is accidentally deleted. 2. It shows you how to rceover files when you have a hard disk crashed/removed/offline/replaced with a new drive. Kudos ! to @wolf8auer

wepee - - Plugins

Quote from gderf: “I have no idea how these failure rate probabilities are calculated. But I have seen numbers similar to what you are seeing over the last five years. So far no drives have failed or had any problems that would indicate a potential failure. I just keep adding disks and keep going. I have 12 disks: 9 hard disks, two SSDs, and one USB stick connected to my OMV machine. I have room for five more disks in the DAS box connected to the OMV box. ” Question is can I trust the data given…

wepee - - Plugins

Hi all, I came across SnapRAID smart function with SnapRAID plugin. Please refer the picture attached. As the picture indicates, at (1), (2) & (3) = 2 hard disk will failed, probability = 84% I have started to a bit worry.......... Questions: 1) How reliable is SnapRAID smart information ? I used a freeware from CrystalDiskInfo, to test all my hard disks whether they are worthy to be used for long term data storage. I have tested all hard disk with CrystalDiskInfo, BEFORE using my OMV5 machine. …

• Quote from thedarkness: “@wepee Try the script I have attached, should be working with your setup. ” @thedarkness thank you for following this thread, and updated the script. As of now, the more I read about the comments/descriptions denoted by "#" the txt file of: snapraid script - dual parity.txt the more silly question that I have in mind. I decided to save it for another day. When I am more a pro in writing bash scripts then I may understanding better. Bottom line is, I simply not confident …