Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 1,000. There are more results available, please enhance your search parameters.

• Clueless....

Adoby - - General

Learn how to clone the rootfs. Then if something goes wrong, just restore the rootfs and try something else. And you will not have to reinstall from scratch ever again. Hopefully... It is common that new users of OMV make mistakes and have to start over. But if you are lazy you can make sure you don't have to start from scratch every time. You can boot from other media and then clone or restore. I am very, very lazy... So when I started using OMV I wrote some scripts to clone and restore SD card…

• What is the fastest transfer speed you can achieve between any pair of clients in your network? Is that speed close to 1 Gbps? Some possible problem areas: 1. Network problems. You don't seem to use a switch. It may be that the router is good at routing and not at switching. That is, each client has full speed access to the Internet, bot perhaps not to each other. You can test this using the ifperf3 software between to Linux computers. You can boot a Windows computer from a USB stick with Linux …

• Clueless....

Adoby - - General

Two suggestions that may or may not help: 1. reboot. 2. restore backup/clone of latest good root fs.

• Convert NTFS to EXT4

Adoby - - General

Yes, it is possible. One way could be to go to a 50/50 state with the NTFS and the EXT4 partition. Then replicate the NTFS contents in the EXT4 partition. Then update the uuid and partition labels so that the EXT4 partition replaces the NTFS partition and see what happens. You may perhaps also have to update the filesystem used in fstab and/or in OMV configuration files. Not sure. Make sure that you backup/clone the root filesystem first. I think that you only need to manipulate uuid and partiti…

• ASUS XG-C100C on OMV?

Adoby - - Network

Intel has arguably the best reputation.

• permission's location

Adoby - - General

Both. Each file and folder on the disk stores information about the user ownership and group ownership and about what the owner, members of the group, and others are allowed to do to that file. Read, Write, Execute. The information of the user password, the user names and group names is stored on the SD card. What groups a user belongs to, and so on. And a mapping between the user name as text to the User ID as a number, same with the group name and the Group ID. It is the UID and GID that is st…

• ASUS XG-C100C on OMV?

Adoby - - Network

I have no idea if that 10 GbE card will work with OMV. But you should be able to find out yourself. OMV is built on top of Debian. Various versions of Debian for various versions of OMV. Don't try to figure out if the card will work with OMV, instead figure out if the card will work with Debian. That should be easy to do with some googling. There are even Debian compability lists. If the card is not there, then you could use another card that is there. Best is if the card is directly and fully s…

• resize particiones SD

Adoby - - General

Not quite clear to me what you mean. To resize the rootfs you would most likely have to delete or resize the big unformatted (?) unused partition to make room for a bigger root filesystem. And then make the root filesystem bigger. I think OMV created the big partition during installation, but left it unused. That would allow the unused memory cells to be included in the rotation of memory cells used whenever you write to the card. But as I said, if you actually need to resize the rootfs like thi…

• Empty r-sync'd directories.

Adoby - - FTP

The shared folders should be found in the folder /sharedfolders if everything is OK. That is where you can see if you find the files. Also under /srv You might be helped by installing Midnight Commander, it is a text based file manager that may make it easier to navigate around and see what is there. Unfortunately it makes it very easy to delete stuff by mistake as well, so be careful. You install Midnight Commander with this command: sudo apt install mc And you run it with this command: mc And …

• Empty r-sync'd directories.

Adoby - - FTP

Login using SSH and have a look-see. Then figure out what is wrong.

• Problem serving USB volume over CIFS

Adoby - - General

I have no idea if a HDD with LVM is usable with OMV. I doubt it. Not without running LVM. But I have never tried it. Just test it and see if it works. Perhaps you can create virtual volumes on the HDD that you can use in the VM? I have only done as I described above, added storage using the OMV GUI. I have the exact same users and passwords on all my servers and all my clients, created in exactly the same order so that UID match. All users in OMV are members of the group "user". Privileged users…

• Rsnapshot change start time

Adoby - - Plugins

Try it, and keep an eye on it.

• Rsnapshot change start time

Adoby - - Plugins

You could try it, but they are likely to be overwritten when updating. See this thread: Does anyone know how to make RSnapshot's cron file stick Also, we are discussing the rsnapshot plugin. I assume that you could simply install rsnapshot proper and use that without the OMV GUI. Or you could do as I do, roll your own rsync snapshot scripts and run them whenever you like from entries in crontab. And do everything the super-cool command line way. github.com/WikiBox/snapshot.sh

• Virtualised Desktop on same machine

Adoby - - My NAS Build

What HDD limit? With my RPi4 I have a dual HDD USB3 enclosure with 2x8TB HDDs. I have tested it with 2x12TB HDDs and it worked fine. I suspect that 2X16TB HDDs would work fine as well. There are USB enclosures with room for even more storage. I'm talking about powered enclosures for 3.5" HDDs. The NAS will share data over GbE, that will most likely be the bandwidth bottleneck, even if you have an enclosure for several HDDs sharing a singĺe USB3 cable. You could also flip my suggestion: Run the O…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

There are many options. Some good, some bad. Do some experimenting and figure out what suits you! Yet anoter alternative could be to use a small SBC for a OMV NAS. And the PC as a PC. A RPi4 would work fine, as long as you get a good powered external USB3 disk. Or some other SBC. I take care to avoid desktop/backup USB disk from WD or Seagate. Build your own from a powered enclosure and a big 24/7 NAS grade HDD. A small NAS would simplify things for you greatly. You could have extra disks in the…

• resize particiones SD

Adoby - - General

If the 7 GB is full, you are doing something wrong. That is Bad™. I write about this here: Some advice moving rootfs to SSD This is also discussed in many other threads here. To resize partitions on the SD card, remove the SD card and take it to a Linux computer with a SD card reader and the software gparted. If you don't have another Linux computer you can boot a windows computer from a USB thumbdrive with a live Linux distribution installed. For instance Ubuntu. It is good to have plenty of un…

Adoby - - My NAS Build

No, you don't need two GPU. OMV doesn't need a GPU, it has a web interface. You manage OMV remotely over the network. The easiest setup is to take a slightly overpowered desktop PC, add virtualization software, and install OMV as a VM. Also add some disks for storage. And you and your desktop, with OMV in the background, can live happily ever after. A more advanced setup is to take a slightly overpowered server PC. Install some hosting OS. And then install both OMV and the desktop as VMs. And ac…

• Problem serving USB volume over CIFS

Adoby - - General

I'm afraid this is not a bug or an a idea. It is the normal way to add storage to OMV. Is the disk formatted as NTFS? OMV is not compatible with NTFS used for shared storage. You can, in a pinch, use NTFS for backups or for restoring data. But not for shared data shared by OMV. It is possible to add correctly formatted disks with existing compatible filesystems to OMV, and use them for shared folders. But then you STILL have to use the GUI to add the disks and mount the filesystems and create sh…

• No. I just use a normal Firefox install. Not sure how it syncs, but it does. I have the same shortcuts on all clients. And if I change on one it syncs to the rest.

• How I use Heimdall: I don't. Instead I have a folder called "local" with shortcuts in Firefox. Synced between my Firefox installs.