Moving Physical Disk From One USB Enclosure to Another...

• I upgraded my 2 bay external USB 3.0 enclosure to a 4 bay enclosure today. I removed both physical disks from the old 2-bay box and placed them in the new 4-bay box. Same vendor. Unfortunately, it seems now that OMV can't find them in the new 4 bay enclosure. I don't see a way to add these back in via the GUI, are these ssh commands I can run from the console to return these volumes?

Ideally, I was hoping that they would just be found as before and re-integrate in with all their shares, etc, intact, but OMV must be confused about something since the enclosure changed.

I'm hoping this is really easy to do and I don't need to add a new volume and copy these from another network machine over or something.

Any assistance will be appreciated. Version is 1.19 Kralizec. AMD 5600 CPU with 4 GB memory, 6 internal sata drives and 2 in the external USB bay. Would like to get this sorted before I bump to 2.1.

I don't see the new volumes listed in Physical Disks or when I do an fdisk...But the enclosure is correctly connected to a USB port on the OMV box and I can mount/read the drives when I connect the unit to another computer.

Thanks.

• Start from the beginning.

Are you sure the new enclosure is functional?
    Can you test it on another machine/laptop?
    Boot to OS, *then* plug it in, and see if the OS recognises it. (look in Device manager on windows, System Information on macosx, or a simple 'lsusb' in linux).
    Try with only one drive connected in the enclosure to rule out a problem with the drives locking up the enclosure's bios.

What's the mfctr/model number of the enclosure (just for reference)?

• Thank you Coda, your suggestion worked great.

No idea why, but starting fresh like you said with one drive in the enclosure, booting to BIOS, seeing the drive, shutting down, adding second drive, worked great. I did put the drives in the bottom 2 bays of the enclosure instead of the top 2 bays, not sure if that had any bearing on things, but I am now up and running in OMV with the new enclosure using the old drives.

Thanks for the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!