Suggestions for DLNA

• Ok, so I have a 4TB Raid 5 setup. I'm wanting to use it for centralized file storage, and to be able to access my Movies/Video, Music, and Photos (from both PC, Tablet, Phone, and Vizio Smart TV). I've installed Plex (OMV-Extras.org repos, and Plex), and I'm utterly confused at the configuration/layout of Plex, and am starting to think it's WAY more than I really need to do what I want.

Can someone give me suggestions?

JT

• Did you make a shared folder for media? You only need the default drop down.
    Give your user read/write access? Use orivileges.
    Then share it with SMB/CIFS?
    Access it and create other folders like Movies, TV, Music, etc..???

It is important to get a good media share up before proceeding to setup plex.

• Only going to be shared internally (wired and wireless connections in home). Was going to utilize NFS to mount NAS to Windows clients.

Here is what I have so far. As I said, I'm sorta lost, as I'd like to set it up correctly the first time and not have to redo anything.

• ~19 years experience in Linux, BSDi, FreeBSD, OSF, Solaris, HP-UX and ESXi just to name a few

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jtodaro () aus folgendem Grund: Modified for clarify and to not sound like a sarcastic noob. LOL

• Filesystem mounted on RAID (type?)... NFS not setup yet? Create a shared folder called media and then share it with NFS. Once you have it mounted on one of your machines create the other folders you want in the media share. Then go into plex and for the different type select the folder you in the tree from the share.

When you create the shared folder use the default dropdown. Give your user read/write privileges.

• I think that's what I wasn't grasping. How to organize/control plex. I played in it's web interface and I think it started confusing me further, which is why i stated that it felt that it's overkill for my purpose.

Is there a lighter weight DLNA server? I used to do this with my Roku and Roksbox and an HTTP server that with browsable indexing (wasn't DLNA, but straight web retrieval for lack of a better term). Need to do something DLNA now though as I do not have the Roku any longer and am utilizing a Smart TV (primarily).

• This is just media and you don't want any security???

If you want any security I would use Samba... It is slightly slower. What TV??? Do you have a plex app on it?

There is minidlna but I don't think that is good for movies and tv shows. You may not grasp plex but you will grow into it. It is not that hard to get running if you get a good media share setup. There is Emby too.

• The server the forum is on is really slow right now. I'm having problems staying connected. It is why my responses are slow.

Edit: it is better now. Was really bad there for a bit.

If you use a media shared folder and have subfolders (i.e. music, tv, movies) you would navigate the tree in plex to the appropriate subfolder, say music, depending on what media type you chose in plex.

• Very little if any security (I live behind my own firewalling, so it's secure enough for my liking).

Will give Plex a try before I give up on it.

I have a Vizio Smart TV. I did see a native Plex app, but was initially going to just utilize the Multimedia app as it also was able to browse DLNA servers (I setup one temp on a Windows PC just to see how connectivity was).

I have roughly 1tb of Music, so this will be a combination of music/movies/photos (to stream), and a consolidation on the NAS of my 5+ usb har drives I used for backups over the last 15 years.

Thanks again for the 411. Will give this all a whirl and hopefully not be back except to contribute. :D

• MiniDLNA is good for music. So is Emby. They both work with Windows Media Player too if you care to use that.

Fire TVs work really well with Plex. A lot of us use them because they are quite a bit faster than Smart TVs, which usually have weak cpus.

Good Luck and come back when forum is working better. :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!