Alternate Data Streams ADS Samba 4?

• Hello
    First: Thanks to all for this great software!
    We wanted to take it productive as an replacement for our current servers, but I found out that NTFS-Alternative Data Streams are not supported.
    I tried different extra options like

Code
    vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_depot
    streams_depot:directory = /home/samba/.streams_depot

or (to get extended ACL-Support as well)
    vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_xattr
    but none of them worked - then I found out that the current smbd ist on version 3, because of the debian-release.
    I am aware that OMV will be migrated to a newer debian with smb 4 support, but for us at the moment the missing support for ADS is a show-stopper.
    Does anybody knows a (temporary) solution until the new OMV is available?
    Thanks a lot!

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to the samba wiki, alternate data streams have been available in samba3 since 3.2. Did you try streams_depot? This suggests disabling kernel oplocks too.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the suggestions! Yes, I tried it with the following settings (I typed this in the Extra options of the smb-Configuration):

Code
    streams_depot:directory = /home/samba/.streams_depot

No success ... further, I elevated the log-level in the /etc/samba/smb.conf to Level 2, but I got no relevant entries to this problem.

Do you have any further suggestions how to solve this? Thanks!

• Thanks to all for helping!
    In fact, it works, this is how to do:
    The Alternate Data Streams support must be configured on a per share base, not as an general option.
    This means, the options have to go into the OMV->SMB/CIFS->Shares->Extra Options
    There, you have to possibilities:
    a) Streams depot
    Allows to have ADS of any size. The ADS will be stored in a separate directory. I recommend to point this directory somewhere to your data disks, not to the system disk. The settings would be:

Code
    streams_depot:directory = /media/xxx/samba/.streams_depot

(this is an example directory path)

b) XATTR
    There the ADS will be stored as extended attributes, i.e. they are limited in size (I am unsure about the max. size, somewhere I read about 64 kB), Configuration (Again put it into Extra options of the Share definition):

Code
    vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_xattr

-> I haven't tested this version, it could be that this doesn't work - see the comment of ryecoaaron who mentioned a kernel oplock problem

NB: The acl_xattr is optional, if set, you get extended ACL-Support, to be honest, I am not 100 % sure if this is really necessary

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!