Can ISCSI Target Drive be backed up from on the host?

• I have set up an OMV machine with a 1.8 TB disk array that is set up as an iSCSI target to be used to by a windows server to perform it's backups to. is there a way that I can connect a USB3 external drive to the OMV machine that hosts the iSCSI target, and copy files, etc, from the iSCSI target drive to the USB3 Drive from the terminal for off site backup?

Thanking you in advance.
    Tony

• No,

cause an iSCSI target is a LUN, hence a single file on the OMV. It would require you to locally mount the LUN as an NTFS file system and then move files out of it.

Why did you not simply use a CIFS share to backup from your Windows machine? Then you can do anything with the files on the OMV level, as the OMV can see all files (e.g. AV, Backup etc. pp.)

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Originally, we used iSCSI because of better performance when it came to backing up our windows 2008 server to the NAS. As it turns out, we ended up using CIFS as you have suggested. Now we are having problems getting the data transfer from the NAS to our USB 3 drive to perform at superspeed. I have posted a seperate thread for that.

• Not sure what kind of network you have in between server and NAS, but it should max out the Gbit Speed. Maybe you could tune your backup application to write in larger block sizes. However all of that very generic.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!