Change OMV to another PC

• Hi People,

I´m would like to move my OMV enviroment to another PC and that mean without format any HDD. Is that possible?

I don´t care if I have to install OMV again, it´s just I dont want to format my other HDD´s, you know, important stuff there.. In freenas I found an option to work with the HDD as nothing happend, is just I don´t know how OMV works in this scenario...

Thanks in advance..

• For the data disks it will be ok but you need to be careful if you have a raid system…

*I think* that you can also move the system drive without re-installing but you will need to run the omv-firstaid tool from the new PC in order to setup the network card...

• this is what I would do…

clone your system drive with clonezilla (this is your insurance policy)
    migrate the system drive and run omv-firstaid
    if the system boots and everything works then migrate the data drives.

• Hello

Does this procedure works if I want to move the drive System to another HDD? That is, clone my system drive with Clonezilla and restore that image in another HDD. I have to replace my system drive and would like to avoid having to configure everything again.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• yes it works but remember that clonezilla cannot clone a system from a drive to a smaller drive.If this is your case you need to shrink the partition first and then clone it to the new drive.

If you do any of the above, create a copy to save somewhere safe first so that you can restore it in case the process fails.

• Thanks for the fast response!

I will go from a 8GB USB SSD to a 8 or 16 GB Sata SSD. Therefore I hope to have no problems. Then, it would be something like this:

1. Create an image from my current drive with Clonezilla.
    2. Make a fresh installation of OMV in the new SSD.
    3. Restore image from the old drive to the new one.

I would do the process without the data drives (only one). In good theory, after the image of the old drive is restored to the new drive, OMV should recognize the partitions/folders/shares in my data drive once I plug it. Am I right or am I saying complete nonsense?

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• …no, I would do something simpler
    1. Create an image of your current drive with Clonezilla.
    2. remove the current drive and keep it safe.
    3. plug in the new system drive
    3.Launch clonezilla and clone the old system on the new drive
    4. Reboot.

If everything goes well the system won’t even know it has been cloned.

Remember that for the above you need a third hard drive where you will save the cloned copy…. Do some reading on clonezilla…on youtube you will find tons of tutorials.

• Excellent! I think I can handle that. Thanks for the help.

Custom mini-ITX build

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!