Dell Optiplex FX160 Thin Client

• I use the same System (samba, plex, dlna), just with a 500GB HDD. You can simple install omv on the 2GB Flash Module and the use the "Flash Memory" Plugin from the omv extra repo.

How long have you being using OMV installed in the 2 GB flash module? Did you had any issues?

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• Zitat von deecon: „I use the same System (samba, plex, dlna), just with a 500GB HDD. You can simple install omv on the 2GB Flash Module and the use the "Flash Memory" Plugin from the omv extra repo.“
    How long have you being using OMV installed in the…

I am using omv for about 3 months now on the 2GB Flash Module. But I installed the Flash Memory Plugin form the omv extra repo, simply to extend the lifetime and to limit the disk i/o on the Flash Module. The only issue is that 2GB are not "that" much space. I was trying out syncthing, but the plugin wrote the "file database" in my home directory and all my free space was gone. With ssh, plex, cifs and some small plugins I still have about 500MB free diskspace.

• Hi @deecon

Thanks for the feedback! I came exactly to the same problem you had. 2 GB are certainly not much. After installing Plex and Printing plugins the flash module was almost full. Run Plex and the space is gone! It does the trick, but for my needs is a little too small.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Eryan ()

• The chinese SSD was not up to the task. Died on me after some days of usage. I ended replacing it with a 30 GB Kingston SSDNow S200. Fitting it was kind of tricky. Routing the 22 pin sata cable from the motherboard to where the SSD is was certainly challenging. As said before, don't use a 30 cm cable, it is simply too short. Save yourself a headache and get a longer one. There is still some room left inside the case to accommodate the extra cable.

Despite the issues with the chinese SSD, I am quite happy with the end product. The PC is small, completely silent and has a really low consumption. As long as you don't need something really CPU intensive (virtual machine, transcoding), this little PC rocks!

Custom mini-ITX build

• Unfortunately no USB 3.0 ;)

It should be possible to install a mini PCIe usb 3.0 card, but that will require some heavy tweaking. To start, the space between the mini PCIe slot and the HD caddy is really really small, and fitting the cables there will be a PITA. After that, some sort modification in the housing will be required to fix the usb ports. Finally, the mini PCIe slot seems to recognize Wlan cards only, meaning that some bios-tweaking is also required.

Doable, but not practical.

Custom mini-ITX build

• This has been one of the most interesting builds to watch lately. Thanks!

Thanks! Glad you liked it!

Custom mini-ITX build

• Since my Dell Optiplex FX160 has a uptime over 100 days now, I want to give you a little summary. Mostly by screenshots. If you have any questions, just write them in this post.

I have 3 CIFS Shares, for my music, my photos and my videos. All 3 shares are synced via syncthing with my Windows PC as backup. The Plex Server does a good job and I connect to it from 3 Android devices and my FireTV.

• Hi deecon

Thanks for sharing! My server have been running for quite a while now, but unlike you, mine remains of during the day (yes, I know, the consumption of this thing is ridiculous, but it won't hurt anybody to save a couple of bucks!). In general, I am really happy with this little box. It has its blackspots, however, like its complete incapacity to transcode. I finally switched to a Raspi 2 running Rasplex as Plex client, and since then I hve had no issues. The Firestick I used did the job, but it was too laggy and crashed constantly.

May I ask what is the average temperature of you CPU? Mine stays constant between 55° C and 60° C. It is quite ok for an Atom (the limit is around 125° C I think). I've been thinking about replacing the thermal pads above the Atom (unfortunatelly, it uses thermal pads instead of thermal paste), but since the temperatures are not that high perhaps it will be a waste of money.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Your temperatures are slightly lower than mine, bit it might be because of where my server is. On top of that, I have 2x2.5'' drives inside the case (both of them are unusually warm, the HDD is around 36° and the SSD remains around 41°), meaning that everything is kind of crowded inside the case. A little bit of cable management could help perhaps.

Custom mini-ITX build

• You can install in a sata DOM, but it must be bent. However, be aware of the bend direction. When I get home, I can load a picture of the original DOM that came with mine, and there you can check the direction.

The straight one is simply to high and the case won't close once you install it.

EDIT:

I just noticed that you will use a Kingspec SSD. From my experience, those things are like a lottery. I got a usb SSD from them and it worked properly, then I got a 1.8'' SSD from them for my Optiplex server and it failed after 2 days (check the first posts of this thread).

So yes, it is only 22 bucks, but I would recommend to steer away from Kingspec. Remember, if you buy cheap you buy twice.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Hello,
    I have brought one of these units, and I'm very happy with it, but I have a problem with connecting 3.5" hdd - I try 4 different hard disk (3.5") and no one even spin up.
    With 2.5" I have no problems. Is it possible to install 3.5" disk? (I suppose that there is some problem with power/voltage or maybe this is some bios issue).

Regards,
    Luk

• It is not possible to use a 3.5'' HDD with the Optiplex. It supports 2.5'' drives only (there is no way to make a 3.5'' drive fit in there :P ). The 3.5'' drives require 12 V to work, whilst the 2.5'' only 5 V, and the mainboard of the Optiplex provides only 5 V.

The only way you could use the 3.5'' drives is with an external enclosure (and its respective additional power supply).

Custom mini-ITX build

• well its been a while since my last post here but i am now up and running. I first upgraded the tiny 2gb sata dom and brought a kingspeed 16gb dom off the bay it came all the way from china and took weeks to get here. On looking at the kingspeed dom its alot larger then the one the machine came with in length and width, with some careful persuasion i manged to get it fitted but then found the mount where my 1tb 2,5 drive was going to go the rear leg no longer fits on the hole in the motherboard. so what i did was bent it up and place it in best i could and screwed the other two holes in place. I manage to get the case back together and installed omv and few extra plugins so far so good.

I liked eyrans post about kingspeed being like a lottery it did make me laugh :thumbup: I just hoped i picked the right numbers soon will tell if she dies on me or keeps rocking !

One thing I am unsure of is with this dom being like a ssd would I require to install the flashmemory plugin or will i be alright with out it.

So far so good I have set up a few shares and installed transmission. going to look at the plex server sometime as I would like to stream my music collection from the server to my phone when I am in the car and stream it over 4g is plex the only option for doing this or is there a alternative.

• Good choice going with the Optiplex! You won't regret it. I hope you have luck with your Kingspec. Make a back up of your OMV installation with Clonezilla. It will save you a lot of time if something goes wrong.

Regarding the flash plugin, it is not necessary, but it won't hurt to use it. It may save some unnecessary writes to the SSD.

For the streaming thing, yes, you could go the Plex way but you need Plex Pass, which costs some $$$ per year. Or you could use the subsonic plugin. It allows you to stream your music over the internet to your phone/tablet. I do not use it because I lack an internet flatrate contract, but AFAIK it works really good.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Good choice going with the Optiplex! You won't regret it. I hope you have luck with your Kingspec. Make a back up of your OMV installation with Clonezilla. It will save you a lot of time if something goes wrong.

Regarding the flash plugin, it is not…

Thanks ! :thumbup: Yeah If all goes to plan The optiplex is a good choice and will fit my requirements perfect. Yeah I hope the kingspec holds out it took flipping ages to come from China i ordered it back in December last year and it came on Monday. I will make a backup with clonezilla right away thats a good idea saves the hassle of redoing everything. I will check out the subsonic plugin and see how good it is I am trying to save £££ so plex might not be the best solution but I will find out.

8)

• I finished my setup few months ago. I could find smaller disk for OS to not pay less than for Optiplex so I decided to take old disk outside. The old disk is loud as hell but it is noticeable only at nigh. My setup is working fine. I use it only for file server, but I think I might use it for backup. For now I have only one problem with power button. Settings via webgui doesn't work for me. I want to turn of with this button but noting happens. Do you have the same problem?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!