should I run all services on one OMV VM or run several OMV VMs to spread the load?

• Hi all.

I have a new ProxMox server build on Supermicro AMD server with 2-6 core CPU and 36GB ram

I had tryied a build with single OMV VM to use as a File Server with NFS and Samba shares, but I also setup plugins for OwnCloud ,
    FTP and had been planning to install deluge or transmission and SubNZB and couch potato on the same VM

I use the hdd pass through from the main host to connect my data drives to the OMV VM.
    access speed was not the best but I am ok with it, however my config of owncloud brought the VM down to an unusable/unstable state
    and I had to scrap the setup all together.

so my question is, should I / can I build out 2 VMs of OMV on the host?
    one to use as pure File server with NFS and samba to be used as NAS for all clients on the network VM and real PCs
    and second instance to simply mount the shares from the FS and run all the download services only with no file sharing to the public.

will that be more stable setup? anything better?

thanks

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• well I have tried this and it brought down the VM badly, hence the question.
    it could have been that I mis-configured the VM with too low specs so can you suggest what is a good parameters for VM to run all this?

to reiterate : I want to run (in order of importance)

#1. File Server (already configured and running splendidly with SAMBA and NFS and FTP shares setup) speed is not stellar but usable for my needs. I use Samba for everything but want to have an NFS for internal use and my HTPC access unless I decide to go with some sort of streaming setup.

#2. Torrent client like deluge or transmission with web GUI. this will not be too heavily used as I do not torrent much. but on some occasions it is needed and I wold like to have it setup.

#3. SubNZB, Coach Potato , Sick Beard, headphones. again this is not heavily used but they will be running all the time. I want to try and use this apps to organize my media properly so I will be dropping existing file into completed folder so they would be processed as if freshly downloaded. as in renamed and copied to proper folders etc.

#4. OwnCloud setup. not too important but would like to have it to be able to drop stuff from anywhere and share a calendar and some file between family.

last time I tried this setup (except for #3 as I did not have all the storage configured) the VM just died.
    currently I have VM with 1 socket 4 cores CPU and 4GB ram. is this setup good enough or do I need to bump up the specs.

my server is dual socket 12 cores @ 2.4 gHz each and 36GB Ram so I can spare a few cores and gigs of ram :)

• Well you should setup one vm just for testing. Make sure you are configuring each service correctly and you should not have a problem running them all. ownCloud has been buggy as hell. A lot of us are not using it anymore. If you are looking for syncing files there is a syncthing plugin.

4 gigs of ram and 2 cores should work fine. I would test services in a test vm and try to figure out which service is causing your issues.

• well it's too late for troubleshooting as I dumped the vm last week and also had to rebuild the proxmox host all together. this is a new setup so did some bad things while playing with it.

I will play with the setup a bit more though. it would be nice to have all on one machine.

as of now it seams all is working well and reasonably fast. but I only have it run as a file server with not much of extra plugins.
    only load up the 3.16 kernel for btrfs support as my data drives are btrfs raid1 setup.

thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!