File browser

• Guys, what would be a good approach for one to be able to browse and download files when connecting from outside the LAN. An web browser interface would be nice but not necessary. It'd be nice to be able to upload files as well. Are there any plugins for this? If not, what would be a good way to accomplish this?

• Follow instructions on this link below to install webmin via root user in a SSH session, I use Putty for SSH sessions. You can copy and paste the commands from the webpage. After you install you may need to run the command "apt-get -f install" if there are some needed dependencies that did not install. Then you'll need to open port 10000 on your OMV firewall. Also, you will need to have java installed on your client machine for the filemanager in webmin to work. You connect by using the following: https://ipofyouromv:10000 where ip of your omv is 192.168.1.x (e.g. https://192.168.1.49:10000)

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

PS- the filemanager is under the "other" option on the left once in webmin.

• Webmin is less than ideal for a file manager, slow clunky and lacks many features, for instance unrar. I have tried all the web file managers and x forwarding, nothing seems to compares to synology's file manager :(.

• Webmin not have enough features, LOL.... Maybe you need to take some time to learn how to use webmin. How many plugins does webmin have? over 100... over 200... over 300??? For newer ppl it has a third party SSH2 client plugin for command line, so you can do that in webmin too. The installed SSH client is outdated so you need to install the third party SSH2 client. The little lag in the java client when using the File Manager is nothing, unless maybe if you have a crappy machine. It is not as pretty as other File Managers but it fills OMV's gaps and then some.

• Zitat

Webmin not have enough features, LOL.... Maybe you need to take some time to learn how to use webmin. How many plugins does webmin have? over 100... over 200... over 300??? For newer ppl it has a third party SSH2 client plugin for command line, so you can do that in webmin too. The installed SSH client is outdated so you need to install the third party SSH2 client. The little lag in the java client when using the File Manager is nothing, unless maybe if you have a crappy machine. It is not as pretty as other File Managers but it fills OMV's gaps and then some.

LOL indeed.... I'd say that's an issue right there. OMV is supposed to be for all the people not just people that have the know how and time to be able to install a second administration suite then install a plugin for something that is essentially a plug in, it's messy!

I find the Java client slow and clunky and can completely die if you tab browse while it's open. I don't own a single crappy machine and it's like that on them all.

Each to their own but I'd prefer simplicity with a modicum of design, webmin as a file manager is has neither.

• Hi I have installed webmin and am able to see the web file manager. Its just really not a great experience. I am a novice at all this fair enough but I cannot even find my Raid. I would have thought /mnt, but nothing in there.

How the heck do I get to it? I don't see the point in installing something like transmission if the only way to move the files is over the network to my mac and back again.

I only hope that there will be a better solution one day. it would appear webmin is essentially a double up of the web GUI of OMV?

• All data drives, no matter the filesystem, are mounted at /media/uuid/ <--- then your raid. The uuid number will look something like this "dd9efcb5-9a2e-4b9d-b428-98016db9f796", as an example

There is a plugin for Ajaxplorer but it's not in the repo. The deb package is around somewhere. I prefer webmin because I can do so many other things in it.

• Yea but all I want, the only thing I want is to be able to move files from one location to another without it having to go via another computer, clogging up the network and generally doing my head in.

• The best php file browser i used is this its realy easy to use and got edit file open and view etc..
    pfn.sourceforge.net its not a plugin only a script you'll need mysql and the webserver plugin for the omv which you will find them in the plugin section.

• At the moment I cannot see any benefit of that. Why is it better or easier to use a web enabled file management tool vs. using a share (NFS, CIFS, AFS)?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The web enabled file management would be nice for iPads and Chromebooks.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The down side of manage filer from another computer is that you can't shut it down until the file copying is done.

I also wonder if the client computer is using it's memory during file copying or is it the server's memory/CPU that does the work?

With an filebrowser in OMV i could start an huge file copying and just leave it be untill it's done.

Any thoughts on this?

• I'd also like to see a built in file manager. If anyone has every used a Synology DSM system they will want this. I really makes managing the system from any device easy.

I'm personally not interested in webmin... if I had been i'd have used a ubuntu linux install w/ webmin instead of looking for something like openmediavault, which has a nice easy straightforward web managed UI. I'm testing out openmediavault in a new VM on my ESXi server, after having been a Synology user for a long time. There's a whole community of people that are using hacked versions of synology DSM on their own hardware (xpenology), that would be ideal users for openmediavault. With the popularity of Docker, not having your favorite plugins on X OS isn't such a big deal anymore. IMO, the only thing openmediavault really could use is a built in file manager.

U-NAS NSC-800, Supermicro X10SDV-F-O, Xeon D 1540 (45W), 64GB EEC DDR4, LSI 9211-8i, Samsung XP941 M.2 SSD, ESXi 6.5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!