[RESOLVED] gigabit connection problem

• First I want to say hi to all guys,
    Let me first explain my self. I'm trying to setup a nas for my home network as all of you. I will be using SMB, miniDNLA, DAAP, Torrent client, web server, FTP server and my be SQL DB server and VM.

• My setup is
    Mini-ITX board
    Cpu Atom d2550
    Chipset ICH10r
    4 gigs of ram
    4x2Gb WD Caviar Green disks Soft Raid5
    Router : TILGIN HG1311 home gateway (4 port 100mb switch embedded)
    Switch Cisco Linksys e2800 8 port gigabit swtich
    OMV is running on USB stick with 8 gigs of capacity

• Let come to my main problems ;
    1- Although specs of the board says that it can do hardware raid 5 and bios screen for raid. When I configure raid array from raid bios OMV don't see the crated raid5 volume and it sees disk individually. So go through the way of software raid 5.
    2 - When connect the OMV server directly to the home gateway ( other wired components are connected thru switch) I don't have any problems during file transfer. But the thing is transfers becomes very slow because the switch on the gateway is 100mb. But when I connect OMV server to the gigabit switch and start file transfer WEB GUI and transfer freezes something like transferring 200mbs. At this point actually OMV server is running but I can't able access it. I'm saying this because OMV server is also connected to the TV over hdmi and also keyboard connected. I can login as root and reboot the system. I really need to solve this issue. All of the firewalls are closed. I tied different network cables. I tried different USB sticks but no thing has changed. Please help me because as you appreciate it is nearly impossible to use nas with 100mbit network connection I mean it is to slow.
    3 - We will get to this later but I couldn't also start the service of minidnla.

Sorry for my bad English.
    I'm thankfull for you guys, for your future helps from now.

• Yeah, it's RTL8111E NIC onboard. Best bet is to throw in pci slot an Intel NIC. Before that I would try using small 2.5 inch laptop hard drive (black western digitals are good) for system drive, or small ssd. USB sticks don't play nice with omv and burn out fast. You change both those items and you should be good.

• @tekkbebe
    Again thanks for your quick replay. You are right about the thing about usb stick. I have only for sata ports. What do you think of using a cf crad on one of the mini pci-e port. But the thing is controller optional for sta on that ports and I don't have it so I don't know what type of CFcard to mini pci-e converter İ should buy.

• Look at these posts. This guy had same chipset as you, RTL8111E:

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=39

I personally feel that on many Realtek chips a certain percentage are bad. The chips are not tested before or after being put on the motherboards. Not all people have issues but some Realtek chips there seems to be a low percentage of people that have issues, maybe around 5 percent. I've never had issue with Intel nics.

PS- I'm trying to find post where person was using micro drive. It may have been on old forum. If I find it I'll post link.

• I found the problem... It was about my disks or raid what so ever. I'm just using one of my disks and my transfer rate is 70mb/s. So this time I will try to wipe all my drives and make new raid5 array. Then try again. As I see now it wasn't about ethernet controllers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!