Permissions when moving files to Openmediavault

• Hi Guys,

I really suffer again related ot the permissions, when I move files from my Notebook to my Nas I can't view them there.
    What can I do ? How can I cd the path?
    I'm on the NAS using the root user and then I tried cd /Users/Home but system is telling me that the path not exist.

br
    openalf

• First, you should say how you moved them. Samba? FTP? SFTP??? There is no path /users/home normally. The home folder, /home/username, would normally be use with say SFTP. If you moved to a SAMBA share the path would normally be /media/UUID/sharename. Give more information and then we can help you.

• Hi, yes you are right maybe was my explanation not good enough, sorry for that.
    I mounted the drive via NFS looks like /export/AM /mnt/windowsshare, when I do copy paste I get the files there but can't open the PDF.

That's its what I struggle with.

• Can anybody help me? I can't get it solved I know it might sound strange but I can't find the key to change the rights. I'm even not sure where I have to do cd. I guess as it's NFS it's the export path, I get crazy with the chmod so far as I haven't understood the concept how I can change the rights. I understand that there is read/write permissions but how get it changed is still a miracle for me

• I run Ubuntu only, no Windows at all. I think my problem is that I'm not sure where I need to do chmod.
    Do I need to change this under /mnt/windowsshare or do I need to change this under /export/AM?

• Actually I'm bit shocked I always do advertisement for OpenMediavault and yes I know it's free of charge! But keep in mind that when users run into serious trouble and I did you should also try to help. I changed last year to a paperless office and have all my bills stored on the OMV NAS. From there I do the backup into Crashplan, but now I can't not open the files which is of course a mess. The funny thing is if I load the files to Google Drive then I can open the files. But what is then the purpose of OMV, I would keep my files secret.

Sorry but I'm actually a bit frustrated.

• So, you would need to set your permissions on the server. The fun thing about NFS is that it doesn't really do any ID mapping by default. So the UID your user(s) have on your NAS have to match the UID your user(s) have on your laptop. I'm not sure if there's a way to perform UID mapping with NFS. In addition, NFS does not do any kind of encryption or server authorization by default so it's pretty trivial for someone to connect to the NAS as your user and see your files simply by having a machine on the network that has a user with the same UID as the one on your NAS. If you don't have "root_squash" on, it gets even worse.

If you're running Ubuntu, I'd recommend using SSHFS instead. You should just be able to use the "Connect to Server" menu item and type "ssh://${username}@192.168.10.27". If you want to mount it like you are now, look into https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS. I typically use NFS for server to server communication only, and even then, with Kerberos.

• The Kerberos plugin I wrote deals with a lot of the Kerberos issues including NFS on the OMV side but configuring a KDC is pretty exciting. There are several guides available for that all over. I can attempt to catalog them in aa forum post I suppose.

• @ikogan; many thanks for that hint. I installed minutes ago the SSHFS. You mentioned that I need to write

Code
    ssh://${username}@192.168.10.27

; do I just change the username and keep the exclamation marks? What username do I use in that respect? I guess it shouldn't be root?

• @ikogan; ok I do have a user called AM on the OMV that's the one I wood go for. But where do I give the user access, on the OMV? I tried already several times but every time I get the password request and when I confirm the password of that user the pop up appears again and ask again for the password.

Do I have to close the NFS setup?

• After I added the user into group ssh I can reach the whole NAS.

But know I'm totally confused. Under the shared folders I do have the path Users/Home/AM.
    When I run NFS there is also the area export/AM. And I also have media/xxxxx/Multimedia where I do have all the files concerning music and movie. The users area is blank.

Should I close for NFS but then I will miss all the data related to the documents?

I read that I can place the sshfs entry into the fstab so that the system automatically do the mount.

What is then the right command in the fstab, is the below one ok?

Code
    sshfs#am@192.168.10.27: /mnt /windowsshare/$USER/far_projects fuse defaults,idmap=user 0 0
  • @subzero79; does it mean I always have to use the path from the NAS first and afterwards the path on the PC?

I still in doubt about my setup, I don't have media/uuid/AM there. The user path for AM is only under export/AM -- but that is the path from the NFS setup right?

What should I do then de-activate NFS and transfer the users under Media? I tried to create a folder under Media/UUID but the system doesn't allow me to create the folder AM. Or is my way of thinking completley wrong?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!