Really Slow Boot

• I have my system installed on a 32gb SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 USB stick connected to (unfortunately) a USB 2.0 controller on a SuperMicro X7QC3 board. My system takes an unreasonably long time to boot. After it's all done POSTing and finding the boot drive, it'll sit at a black screen for minutes before showing the Grub menu, ticking down, and switching to a different black screen, where it will sit for another few minutes before showing the "Loading Kernel...". This then takes a minute or two and finally "Loading initial ram disk..." (or whatever) for minutes as well. Finally, once that's done, the system boots up quickly and functions great. I haven't counted but I would not be surprised if it takes upwards of 10 minutes to boot (but it's probably more like 5).

Does anyone know why this takes so long? I'm not loading the system into memory or anything after bootup:

• According to `lsusb`:

However, you might be right that the BIOS runs the USB device at 1.0 and it only flips it to 2.0 once the kernel boots. That might make sense.

• It looks like we were both right. My BIOS settings had the USB 2.0 controller "enabled" but set to "Full Speed" rather than "Hi Speed" (what stupid names). Setting it to "Hi Speed" resolved my slow boot issue.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!