Rebuilding NAS

• WARNING:
    My setup is leftover parts and added HDD's from my old gaming rig.

So I'm currently using 2.1.15 (Stone burner) and I'm getting annoying bugs all the time due to only realizing after I created a zfs pool and moved everything that I could to it that you can't expand it with new hdd's.
    This really screwed up my setup and wasn't able to really fix it due to needing about 4tb of space to copy everything to fix the setup (I don't have any backups or spare hdd's).

I'm currently waiting on a 4TB WD Black that I'm planning to copy everything to and then use on my gaming computer after everything is copied back to the fixed up setup.

My Setup:

• Gigabyte Motherboard (GA-880G-UD3H)
    • 8GB Ram (Soon to be 16GB when it arrives with the 4TB WD Black)
    • AMD CPU (Phenom II X6 1055T)
    • OpenMediaVault USB (San Disk Ultra Fit 32GB)
    • 5x2TB HDD (Range of brands from WD to Sea Gate and soon to be 6 when and I can get rid of the old gaming hdd).

OMV Extras Repo:
    http://pasteboard.co/PmIRkBk.png

This is after the failed ZFS update that arrived last week so changes were done.

Plugins:
    http://pasteboard.co/Pn9hQa9.png
    http://pasteboard.co/Png3LZR.png

• Couch Potato won't download at all anymore and is really buggy even after a purge.
    • Sonarr is working fine again but I totally failed at trying to add to it Jackett (Results in error messages and thats it).
    • Deluge I have to use at the moment because transmission just wasn't working for some reason.
    • Fail2ban was added because it just seemed like a good idea.
    • OpenVPN so I can reach LAN when I'm out for whatever reason although I'd like to change this to OpenVPN AC for ease of use.
    • Plex Media Server because I can finally watch stuff that has subtitles and MiniDLNA doesn't.
    • I have 5 different Shares for different things so I can access them on my LAN.
    • Teamspeak 3 Server for when I'm gaming with my Mates.
    • Virtualbox for testing android building (want to move this but I don't want to have it on my gaming rig)
    • WOL just seemed useful if I'm out.
    • ZFS just seemed like a good file system to go with when I want to combine all my HDD unfortunately it doesn't let me add HDD's)

So that's my main system setup and I'd like some advice to rebuild it so it all works and I can just leave it and its stable.

• How old is the USB stick you are using to run OMV? I had some of these random failures with several plugins due to a defective SSD. The symptoms are similar when a USB stick is used and system drive and it fails due to the high write rate. Are you using the flash memory plug in?

I would recommend staying away from USB sticks as system drive. Although the flash memory plugin makes it possible, I would still recommend you to get a small mechanical drive or SSD to use as your system drive.

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

• How old is the USB stick you are using to run OMV? I had some of these random failures with several plugins due to a defective SSD. The symptoms are similar when a USB stick is used and system drive and it fails due to the high write rate. Are you using the flash memory plug in?

I would recommend staying away from USB sticks as system drive. Although the flash memory plugin makes it possible, I would still recommend you to get a small mechanical drive or SSD to use as your system drive.

Not sure if the USB has static wear and I'm not using the usb flash plugin.

• Well, that may be your problem. From what I've read in the forum, USB sticks can "fry" really fast when used with OMV. If your USB has no static wear leveling, there is a high chance that the stick is the root of your problems. I would try to install in another drive, just to discard the USB stick failure. Maybe you have a old HDD lying somewhere. You could give it a try!

[Edit]

My new El Cheapo chinese SSD failed after 3 days of usage. I got a lot of random failures, being PLEX the most affected plugin. Replaced it with a Kingston SSD and, since then, my OMV build has ran without a hiccup!

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

• Well, that may be your problem. From what I've read in the forum, USB sticks can "fry" really fast when used with OMV. If your USB has no static wear leveling, there is a high chance that the stick is the root of your problems. I would try to install in another drive, just to discard the USB stick failure. Maybe you have a old HDD lying somewhere. You could give it a try!

[Edit]

My new El Cheapo chinese SSD failed after 3 days of usage. I got a lot of random failures, being PLEX the most affected plugin. Replaced it with a Kingston SSD and, since then, my OMV build has ran without a hiccup!

I have a SSD I use for my Linux dual boot on my gaming rig but I don't really wanna reparation my Windows 10 SSD to allow for my Linux partition to be moved over.

And I just checked I only have 6 Sata ports, which I'm going to be using for all my Shares. So I don't have enough Sata ports to use a SSD.

As I'm kinda strapped for cash at the moment I don't wanna buy another motherboard until this fails. Isn't the SSD's you can use in pci slots?

• As I'm kinda strapped for cash at the moment I don't wanna buy another motherboard until this fails. Isn't the SSD's you can use in pci slots?

There are PCI SSDs, but then you have to check if your motherboard is able to boot from a PCI port. That would an option. Another one would be to take advantage of the USB headers in your motherboard. You could get a USB SSD (something like this, used it on my previous OMV build and work really good) and use it as boot drive. Or maybe your motherboard still has a IDE port. You could also get IDE SSDs for relatively cheap on Ebay.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Just checked the specs of your motherboard. You should have 2 USB 2.0 headers and an IDE port. I would consider using one of those to plug the boot drive. If you go for the IDE option, you could also use a CF card to IDE adapter and install OMV on a CF card (check that it has wear leveling. AFAIK, all Sandisk CF cards use wear leveling). Both the CF to IDE adapter and the CF card shouldn't cost more than 25€.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Just checked the specs of your motherboard. You should have 2 USB 2.0 headers and an IDE port. I would consider using one of those to plug the boot drive. If you go for the IDE option, you could also use a CF card to IDE adapter and install OMV on a CF card (check that it has wear leveling. AFAIK, all Sandisk CF cards use wear leveling). Both the CF to IDE adapter and the CF card shouldn't cost more than 25€.

I'll probably just buy a pci ssd card when I get the savings up again. But for the moment whats the best config for 6x2TB HDD in a raid? ZFS Pool raidz2? With about 5TB of data expected at the end of this year would that work?

• I'll probably just buy a pci ssd card when I get the savings up again.

As said, I would check if your Mobo can boot from a PCI device. If not, go CF. Performance is actually really good and ood CF cards are cheap.

Regarding the HDD Raid configuration, I am afraid that I can't help you. I don't use RAID. However, for what I understand, if you use 6x2TB drives in Raid 6 (Raidz2) in the end you will end with 8 TB of available space and the chance of 2 drives failing. I guess that is enough! Maybe other members of the forum with more experience can give you a better opinion.

Custom mini-ITX build

• As said, I would check if your Mobo can boot from a PCI device. If not, go CF. Performance is actually really good and ood CF cards are cheap.

Regarding the HDD Raid configuration, I am afraid that I can't help you. I don't use RAID. However, for what I understand, if you use 6x2TB drives in Raid 6 (Raidz2) in the end you will end with 8 TB of available space and the chance of 2 drives failing. I guess that is enough! Maybe other members of the forum with more experience can give you a better opinion.

Thanks, I'll check compatibility and have more of a look at CF.

• So I received my stuff a couple of days ago and I immediately set up the flash plugin and the ZFS plugin. So far I've setup the pool and created a Filesystem called Files and another called Public for guest sharing. I've copied over half of my Files back to the NAS and I've still got more to go, does anyone recommend any tuning and the best setup for S.M.A.R.T scheduling and some ZFS optimization?

• It would be a good idea to make an image of your freshly installed system with Clonezilla. Just in case.... If something goes wrong, you can simply roll back to the cloned image and that will save you a good chunk of time.

Regarding S.M.A.R.T monitoring, it comes down to how much data are you going to move in your drives on a daily basis. In my case, I have SMART activated but no test scheduled, but my usage is really low (1 user, and the OMV spends half the day suspended).

Custom mini-ITX build

• I'm planning to leave my NAS on all the time because I will be scheduling tasks later. However how do you enable for it to spin down disks and go into low power mode when not in use?

Also with S.M.A.R.T I'm using my NAS once everything copied over to listen to music or watch Movies or Shows. Going by that what do you think I should go with. Last build I had a short test on all my drives at midnight everyday.

• So, let's see:

1. HDD spin down: If you want to spin down your disks, you have to enable it for each one of them. That you can do in the "Physical Drives" menu (not sure about the name, I am at work now). There you can see all the drives in your OMV. If you select one and click the "edit" button you will access the power management options for the HDD. Select there the options that better suit you. The opinions regarding spinning the drives down or not are a little polarized. I don't spin down my drives, but then again, my OMV is half day in suspension. It runs only at night when I am home and during that time the HDDs keep running.

2. Low power mode: for that, you need the auto shutdown plug in. It will shut down / suspend / hibernate your OMV based on time, HDD usage, network traffic, etc. Here you can find infos about "what to do if...". Many of the options are self explanatory. The thing is, that will only shut down / suspend the PC but won't wake it up. For that you need to set a cron job to wake up the PC at certain time. In my case, I use my Android phone to wake up the OMV. When the phone connects to my Wifi, it triggers a task from Tasker that sends a WOl magic packet to my OMV. That way I am sure that the PC is on only when I am at home.

3. SMART: I doubt that testing on a daily basis is required (I may be wrong). But I would dare to say that, for your usage, once a week should suffice.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Short answer: no

Long answer: yes, but it depends on what you understand as "activity". The only way to wake up OMV is by wake on lan (with a magic packet) or via a rtcwake command running in a cron job. If you want to wake up OMV when your main computer startsr, you could write a small script in a batch file that runs when you start your main computer. Inside the script, you could write a couple of lines to send a magic packet to your OMV to wake it up. If your goal is to wake up OMV when, for example, accessing a samba share I think it is not possible.

If you go the rtcwake + cron job way, you could set OMV to suspend/shutdown at a certain hour and wake up at other time. This is a nice guide about rtcwake and how to schedule it with cron jobs.

Custom mini-ITX build

• Server hardware is designed to work 24/7. In those cases, reliability and availability are above power consumption. But for home users, sparing a couple of kWh can mean some serious money at the end of the year. As said, you can send your OMV to sleep when you are not using it. If you are at work the whole day, and you need no access to your OMV simply configure it to shut down or suspend. As said, that is the schedule that I use. I keep it running only when I am at home. You are using a full wedged PC with a Phenom CPU. Those CPUs, although brilliant, are not known for being "green". If you can afford keeping the PC continuously running, go ahead. If in the other hand you are concerned about the running costs (you can calculate it online) then put it to sleep.

Custom mini-ITX build

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!