Docker GUI plugin now stable

• Hi guys,

I have a little issue with the docker gui under latest omv4. In the past the following icon with the two arrows showed if there was an update. But I haven't seen this for some time, even though there were updates:

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I tried searching but came up with nothing. I do remember reading something about this issue somewhere, I just cannot find it.

The issue is that when viewing a docker's log in the GUI, the contrast is very low making it hard to read. IIRC, someone posted a patch to fix this. Can someone point me to it please?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Images and containers use most of the space. Maybe you have unmapped data volumes there, those cannot be managed from the plugin.
    You don't need to use the os drive btw, the plugin can pass the argument to the daemon to change the default docker folder (use a shared folder) or you can use a symlink to a data drive(my preferred choice).

The symlink approach seems best. Can you give a bit more explanation of how to do it?

I'm very new to OMV and Docker, so all I can do is guess. I would guess using the CLI to navigate somewhere. But from /, I'm not sure where to go. I have a shared folder, "Data 1 and 2," and I'd like to create a directory (folder) called something like "docker_images" there. How does one navigate from / to the base of a shared folder? Once there, I'd mkdir a new directory and chown & chgrp it to "dockeradmin" (the docker owner) and "users", and then I'd create a symlink. But this is all in a SSH window. Do you then just cut and paste the symlink's full path into the Docker GUI?

Also, if down the road you wanted to change the location where Docker images are stored, how would that work? Keep the symlink but make it point to the new location? Reconfigure the default folder in the GUI to point to the new place with a new symlink? Something else? And would you have to move all the images from the old place to the new one, or would Docker automatically download new images when it sees they're missing from the (new) default location?

• Hi folks,

I have some general questions and home some of you will take pity and answer them. I've been working for months, off and on, to get a NAS up and going. But I'm new to Debian, OMV, and Docker, so there's lots to absorb. So far I've installed and set up OMV 3.0.98. I'm not really using the NAS for anything yet, and all I really plan to use it for is: storing media, media service (Plex Pass version of Plex, Kodi, and PlexPy), WebDAV server, and TimeMachine backup. I have read the Docker documentation, and this entire thread (all 3 years, 43 pages, and 848 previous posts). Still I'm feeling quite clueless.

As a first step, I've decided to work on getting Plex going. But I have some basic questions:

• Before going to the trouble of finishing setting up the server, should I install OMV 4.x instead of 3.x? The OMV Downloads page has OMV 4.0.14 available, and it does not have the usual suffixes (.beta, .rc, etc.) for versions still being tested. Several of you say you are using OMV 4, and the OMV4/Docker/Docker GUI seem better integrated. OTOH, I've not seen any announcements that OMV 4 is officially released. If I set things up under OMV 3, would I have to just do it over again with OMV 4? OTOH, should I trust OMV 4 now?
    • Lots of posts in this thread show windows labelled "Source Code." But much of what's shown looks like what I'd ordinarily call console output. Is this just a matter of nomenclature? Or there there more here than meets the eye?
    • Whatever these windows are showing, how does one create them? Does OMV have a tool to capture the image? Or what?
    • Logging in via SSH and exploring the file system, I get the impression that the system expects home directories to be located in /home. But looking around the OMV GUI, I come across Users. I've seen both on *nix systems. Could someone straighten this out, please?

I realize these questions are mainly about OMV and its relation to the underlying OS. But they've come up as I've been plodding my way trying to get Docker going with Plex. Without knowing the answers to them, I don't think I can make intelligent decisions about Docker going forward. So I hope you'll help with this.

Thanks.

• I'm not able to answer all your questions, but I'll take a stab at some of them:

• Before going to the trouble of finishing setting up the server, should I install OMV 4.x instead of 3.x? The OMV Downloads page has OMV 4.0.14 available, and it does not have the usual suffixes (.beta, .rc, etc.) for versions still being tested. Several of you say you are using OMV 4, and the OMV4/Docker/Docker GUI seem better integrated. OTOH, I've not seen any announcements that OMV 4 is officially released. If I set things up under OMV 3, would I have to just do it over again with OMV 4? OTOH, should I trust OMV 4 now?

It seems the common advice is to check the omv-extras repo and ensure all the plugins you require are available for OMV 4.0. If they are, most say that 4.0 is stable and can be used right now.

Lots of posts in this thread show windows labelled "Source Code." But much of what's shown looks like what I'd ordinarily call console output. Is this just a matter of nomenclature? Or there there more here than meets the eye?

This is just a way to easily differentiate code (or output) from the rest of your forum post. It also creates a window of maximum size with additional text visible by scrolling, so if you post many lines of information, it won't make your forum post incredibly long.

Whatever these windows are showing, how does one create them? Does OMV have a tool to capture the image? Or what?

In a new post, there are buttons above the text entry box for quoting other posts, spoilering text, a block of code, or inline code. You just choose which one you'd like and paste or type the text inside the brackets.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Logging in via SSH and exploring the file system, I get the impression that the system expects home directories to be located in /home. But looking around the OMV GUI, I come across Users. I've seen both on *nix systems. Could someone straighten this out, please?

In OMV4 you can select if a home directory is created for users or not. You can also decide the path to the home directory.
    For my user I created the home directory from CLI and it was created in /home/, so I assume this is the default directory.

Default home directory seems to be defined in
    /etc/adduser.conf

• Hi,

My config is

OMV 4 and docker (plex)
    Yesterday i poweredoff the machine for manteinence activity.

At power on the machine lost my Docker downloads plex and plexpy. I lost also plex running image. Have I to check if it is runnig under the hood via command line (something gone wrong ) .

Afte a reboot it's now OK......mmmmm strange.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von bbm () aus folgendem Grund: News

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin only exists for the amd64 architecture in OMV 3.x.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will it work for OMV 4.x on armhf architecture?

Yes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Any word when we can expect an update to the Docker plugin that improves the contrast in the log file viewer?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any word when we can expect an update to the Docker plugin that improves the contrast in the log file viewer?

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…7ae25e6a567186e49f7f315c9

The fix is in the repo but @subzero79 is the one who determines when it is released to the repo.

• Thanks.

Pretty sure I made the patches correctly, but I'm not seeing any difference.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Since update to OMV 4.1.0-1 the contrast in the docker window is fine for me.

Edit: Sorry, for me also still low contrast in the docker plugin. I hade the zfs plugin in mind and here the contrast is
    finally fine after 4.1.0-1.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von belierzz () aus folgendem Grund: Human error

• I'm on OMV 4.1.0-1 and it's not fine. I'm talking about the log viewer, what are you talking about?

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!