Raid 6 - Did I configure this correctly?

• So as stated in a previous thread I basically have 6 drives on an Adaptec 6805E. I put them in as JBOD because I want to manage my raid through software. I configured a RAID 6 array with all 6x4TB drives using OMV (md127). I then used the OMV LVM plugin/extra (whatever is the proper name) and created a physical group, volume group, and logical volume but have not created an fs.

Question is, do I just then create an EXT4 FS on this new volume? I want to be able to grow this array vertically and horizontally (possibly replace the 4TB disks with 6TB at some point or alternatively expand the array to 8 4TB drives).

Have I configured this correctly? Can I just format and start moving my media over? WOuld really like to get some experienced thoughts before I commit to this.

Cheers

• I created my EXT4 filesystem. Curious though, is it normal for all my drive lights to be flashing off and on constantly? The fuile system has been created and is now mounted. I am not doing anything with the drives at all, but they are flashing non stop.

Here is what I see with top:

Code
    PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
      441 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   1.0  0.0   0:56.99 md127_raid6
     1796 root      20   0     0    0    0 S   0.3  0.0   0:10.76 ext4lazyinit

What is that all about?

Well I answered my own post here after noticing another one popping up to the top (of top).

The ext4 lazyinit is explained here and explains why my drives are blinking.

Cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!