OMV Shared folders in Virtualbox guest

• Hi all, first of all let me thank you for such a great application as OMV and such a good community you all have here.
    I have been trying to figure out this without any luck. I searched the forum and googled for similar cases but did not find anything.
    Sorry then for asking:
    1. I am running OMV Stone burner 2.1.15 and virtualbox 1.3 pluging, Virtualbox pluggin is running in a partition of the OMV system drive.
    2. I have a shared folder (Movies) created in an aufs union filesystem from separated HHD (i.e. not system drives/partitions)
    3. I created a virtual machine with ubuntu server 14.04 installed
    4. Virtual machine have guest additions properly installed
    5. Within the settings of the ubuntu guest virtual machine I shared the folder Movies and set the access to Full and Automount
    6. I log into the guest ubuntu vm and I can see the sf_Movies shared folder mounted
    7. I add my user to the vboxsf group so that I have full access to the folder
    ISSUE: When I try to open the sf_Movies folder I get the error 'This location could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "sf_Movies".'

Can I really share the 'non system' aufs folders with Virtualbox guest OSs or I need to use the normal SMB shares in the VM guest OS?

I really appreciate any advice you could provide.

• not sure that works, but OMV have a remote share plugin that perhaps meet your reqest.

https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…penmediavault-remoteshare

Hi raulfg3, thank you for the advice. Nevertheless, as its name says, I believe the remote share plugin is meant to allow mounting remote/external shares in OMV so that they can be accessed within OMV itself.
    However, my issue is that I cannot properly access the OMV shares within a virtualbox guet OS running inside the same OMV host.

Probably, I am wrong and this not possible without a normal SMB share but I guess someone that uses the Virtualbox pluging could better know how this actually works.

Thanks a lot.

• The remote share plugin should work if your vm is bridged. It has separate ip address and you should be able to mount the shares from your OMV. It does not have to be remote. It should work fine with different device on your LAN as well.

• Sorry, I misread. What type of vm??? The OS you are using??? Do you want to mount or just access the shares??? If your vm is setup corrrectly you should be able to access the shares from the vm. It is important the nic is bridged. You also need to make sure your vm is using same name for the nic. If host machine is eth0 then the vm has to use nic eth0. If host is using eth1 then the vm nic has to be eth1.

My OMV is eth1 so my vm has to be eth1. It is eth0 for most people though.

• Sorry, I misread. What type of vm??? The OS you are using??? Do you want to mount or just access the shares??? If your vm is setup corrrectly you should be able to access the shares from the vm. It is important the nic is bridged. You also need to make sure your vm is using same name for the nic. If host machine is eth0 then the vm has to use nic eth0. If host is using eth1 then the vm nic has to be eth1.

My OMV is eth1 so my vm has to be eth1. It is eth0 for most people though.

Thanks for the reply tekkb,

I am running ubuntu server as the guest OS in the VM.
    The VM have guest additions properly installed and in the settings of the ubuntu guest virtual machine I shared the folder and set the access to Full and Automount.
    I can see and mount the folder within the ubuntu guest but when I try to open it then I get the error 'This location could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "sf_Movies".'
    The nic is bridged and set to the same eth0 as the host. But please correct me if I am wrong, I was expecting to be able to access the host shared folders within the guest OS without caring about the nic settings as I am not using LAN for the sharing but it is just accessing the folders from within the guest OS.

Thanks for the help.

• Thanks for the reply tekkb,

I am running ubuntu server as the guest OS in the VM.
    The VM have guest additions properly installed and in the settings of the ubuntu guest virtual machine I shared the folder and set the access to Full and Automount.
    I can see and mount the folder within the ubuntu guest but when I try to open it then I get the error 'This location could not be displayed. You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of "sf_Movies".'
    The nic is bridged and set to the same eth0 as the host. But please correct me if I am wrong, I was expecting to be able to access the host shared folders within the guest OS without caring about the nic settings as I am not using LAN for the sharing but it is just accessing the folders from within the guest OS.

Thanks for the help.

I am still struggling with this issue. I wonder if this is an issue with the aufs folder share from the host OMV.

Has anyone else got a similar setup working? I am about to give up and use normal SMB share within the guest vm but I know this should not be the only/best solution :(

Thanks for the help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!