run ProFTPD without OMV control

• I have tried the OMV proftpd plugin and it does not bring enough options for configuration of my goal. That seems to be the same for all ProFTPD docker plugins i have found (or i don't know enough about the docker stuff to properly use it).

I am now asking myself if it would be possible to tell OMV to not overwrite the ProFTPD config files when using it. I am totally fine doing the whole configuration via CLI but for now i don't know how to do a clean configuration of ProFTPD on OMV without having OMV interfere.
    What would be the best way to do this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried the OMV proftpd plugin and it does not bring enough options for configuration of my goa

Can you please stick to the same thread and stop creating more, this is the third one about the same subject. I am not into deleting threads usually only if they are spam

What would be the best way to do this?

Try the immutable attribute for proftpd.conf or as i said before disable the service an run it in a docker container (if you're running powerpc, arm or 32bit docker doesn't apply)

• Ok i registered myself a new user. The old one "mon" can either be fixed or deleted. Let's see if this works better now.

I tried the immutable flag (chattr +i) which brought no joy (ProFTPD service could not be started and brought an error msg).

I am not sure how to use the docker stuff as i am new to this.
    I installed a ProFTPD docker image from the docker hub. This did not let me configure any more options than OMV. Although i do not understand yet if i need to install a base image in the form of a full OS first to use any application image on there or if it is enough to install just the docker application as i did.

Still i am asking myself how to trick OMV to not overwrite the conf file or use another one instead. Removing the FTP service completely from OMV and install it from the underlying debian myself would also work. But that is not possible afaik. Although i have installed OMV on top of a fresh wheezy installation (did not use the OMV iso).

So far i guess the best option is to configure ProFTPD by CLI and leave the plugin turned off.
    This brings 2 questions for me:
    - Will my config survive OMV updates?
    - How can i make ProFTPD autostart with system boot?

• Uninstall the OMV ProFTP plugin.

Install ProFTP from a root shell and configure manually:

apt-get update
    apt-get install proftpd

That's all you need to do.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I told you that you cannot uninstall it. Volker has it as part of the core of OMV. It is not a plugin. If you uninstall it OMV will be uninstalled. ProFTP is a dependency of OMV in the control file. Debian control files keep nubbs from totally fracking up their systems. But to advanced users this is a PITA (pain in the A**).

You should not having any problems using ProFTP manually. You just cannot use any of the features for it in the web gui. You have to do your edits manually via command line. Enable and disable via command line, etc... All via CLI. If you want to use another ftp server you are screwed unless you do it via Docker. You can't have more than one FTP server installed and you cannot uninstall ProFTP.

• Yes you told me so but gderf said something else so i asked him X/
    Thanks for your continued support!! :thumbup:
    I was just trying to narrow down the best solution by taking any information into account.

Ok, so i am going for manual configuration of ProFTPD then.
    This remains open:

- Will my config survive OMV updates?
    - How can i make ProFTPD autostart with system boot?

• It is no big deal gderf. It is nice that people try to help. This is not a normal things with ProFTPD. It looks like a plugin but it is not. There are like 6 services that are in the core.

If you do not mess with any ProFTPD settings in the web gui it will survive updates. Sometimes I install plugins (e.g. owncloud plugin). Then I manually edit the crap out of them and never mess with the plugin settings in the web gui.

Edit your config files as needed...
    To enable a service you normally:
    update-rc.d servicename defaults
    service servicename start (or reboot)

• Basically you just run the service like you don't have OMV.

You can run some things in combination with other programs too. I use webmin to admin Hylafax as an example. You could admin ProFTPD from webmin too. There is Bitnami. It just is whatever works best for you. So many choices.

• Offizieller Beitrag

you cannot live with Linux users and virtual users. Every time you change a privilege or add a share conf will get written by omv. Post here according to you how a proftpd.conf should look like in this setup. Will see if I can make it work with the extra options.
    docker could be hard to understand at the beginning. But once you got it is fine. What about using a Debian virtual machine for handling the FTP server?

• I don't like the idea of a VM just to run 1 application.

Here is what i want to do:

I have a media folder /media/xxx/FTP on my HDD RAID
    System disk is on a separate SSD

FTP
    - There are 2 groups of FTP users: ftpadmin and ftpuser
    - ftpadmin can access the whole directory including system disk - read/write
    - ftpusers can only access /media/xxx/FTP (chroot). They have read only rights for all subfolders except /media/xxx/FTP/incoming with read/write
    - FTP users should only have access to FTP no SMB or anything else
    - ftpadmin has unlimited bandwidth available
    - ftpusers have limited download bandwidth available
    - FTP is secured by SSL/TLS and uses PSV port range (no problem, can be done by OMV GUI)
    - FTP does not run on 21 (no problem, can be done by OMV GUI)

SMB
    - Samba users can access /media/xxx/FTP read/write
    - Samba users have a home dir /media/XXX/Homedirs with read/write

NZBGET
    - nzbget will download to /media/xxx/FTP
    - downloaded files/folders should be read/only by ftpusers and read/write by ftpadmin

In principle this is it and how i have it running on my old server.
    It's not that complicated. The hard part for me right now is the FTP stuff.

• Here is what i have added to the proftpd.conf manually so far (only additions are listed below). If you can get this done via OMV plugin, it would be nice. Although i used virtual users so far, i guess i can still switch to system users:

• Well i could not get this to work using the plugin.
    For example how do i add this to the /system directory that sits under /srv/ftp/system which is on my system drive (SSD). I can not select the system drive under shares for the FTP (only the RAID drive is displayed as valid option to chose from)?

Code
    <Directory /system/>
    HideGroup ftpuser
    HideNoAccess on
    HideFiles ftpuser
    <Limit ALL>
    DenyGroup ftpuser
    IgnoreHidden on
    </Limit>
    </Directory>

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!