Customize mount points

• I want to organize my disks' mount points by more than just UUID. Does not appear to be a way to do this through the UI so I went to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and changed the <mntent> and <share> entries appropriately (I believe!).

I did "omv-mkconf fstab" and "omv-mkconf samba". After reboot things seem to operate as expected and I was able to access the samba-shared folders from a windows machine.

Problem is the AUFS entry in the filesystems page still shows the old mount point under /media/UUID

FWIW, I'm organizing things this way

/mnt/data/UUID
    /mnt/parity/UUID
    /mnt/unionfs/aufs/UUID

Again this all came up as I expected on reboot... except for the GUI (which btw does not seem to show the mount points for anything but AUFS but that's a red herring for this... i thinK!)

I did omv-mkconf -list and nothing obvious jumped out at me

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would not change the mount points. It will just cause problems with OMV. Make symlinks if you want something more human readable. You can even make the symlinks in the downloader plugin.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I agree with Aaron... If you want something easier to access or remember symlinks are the way to go.

I give you an example of one thing I do. When I upload a file to a share I call uploads it's path is /media/UUID/uploads. Well it scuks in command line to get to that directory fast. So in the root of the system drive I do:
    ln -s /media/UUID/uploads uploads

So then when I am in command line I can just cd /uploads to get access to the files, instead of the long path.

Code
    lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    51 Aug 31 19:52 uploads -> /media/89cc2475-6cea-480c-a1bf-7739ce10e83e/uploads

Everyone should learn to use symlinks.

• Symlinks are not a bad idea (I don't need a GUI to create symlinks thanks ;) ). It's just not the way I was hoping to organize things (I had organized my mounts this way on my current file server).

Thought it would be relatively straightforward because of the (seemingly) clean way it's all declared in config.xml but it sounds like it's more of a slippery slope than I realized based on my early (sadly partial) success.

At the risk of tempting you on to the slippery slope, aaron mentioned it would cause problems... besides the "ui miss" what else might go wrong? More out of curiosity on my own part at this point.

• There really needs to be an option in the GUI, which before mouting a filesystem allows you to choose your own mount points for it.
    I know that using UUIDs to describe a device in the fstab is the way to go, but that doesn't mean that the mount points have to use UUIDs also. This makes it unnecessarily complicated not only but especially for beginners, when using multiple HDDs which is almost always the case. Using symlinks works, but really is workaround for a difficulty, that shouldn't exist in the first place. What makes it really worse it that the GUI doesn't show which harddrive is mounted to which mount point!
    BTW where to file feature requests like that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There really needs to be an option in the GUI, which before mouting a filesystem allows you to choose your own mount points for it.
    I know that using UUIDs to describe a device in the fstab is the way to go, but that doesn't mean that the mount points have to use UUIDs also. This makes it unnecessarily complicated not only but especially for beginners, when using multiple HDDs which is almost always the case. Using symlinks works, but really is workaround for a difficulty, that shouldn't exist in the first place. What makes it really worse it that the GUI doesn't show which harddrive is mounted to which mount point!
    BTW where to file feature requests like that?

This request has been asked before and will most likely be shot down again. File here though.

I don't understand why a beginner would be using the command line? Why do symlinks not work? I see no advantage in allowing someone to choose the mountpoint name. The idea of OMV is to use the web interface and shared folders. That is why every plugin refers to shared folders. Coming up with a name that is valid and not used already is more difficult than the current method.

If you want to see what drive is mounted to which mount point, just use blkid or look at /etc/fstab... You can see the output of both in the Report tab under system info.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Can you at least put the label next to the uuid it is such a hastle opening up a partition manager and clicking thru list of dozen drives trying to find what uuid is what drive. When i use programs like sabnzbd i need to point them to the download drive but do not know where it is. I open media folder and just see lots of uuid I want the mounts to show somewere so I can set the paths to point to them. It be handy to just make my download drive be the home folder if I could change the mount point.

I really wanted to get this working but it will take me months to figure out and the response on this foum not good. I am going to go back to regular Linux till you get this working better.

You system seems to be well adapted for one large drive but for us that run many volumes it is just a pain.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you at least put the label next to the uuid it is such a hastle opening up a partition manager and clicking thru list of dozen drives trying to find what uuid is what drive.

Unfortunately, I can't change it. Only Volker can. You would have to file a request at http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/.

When i use programs like sabnzbd i need to point them to the download drive but do not know where it is. I open media folder and just see lots of uuid I want the mounts to show somewere so I can set the paths to point to them. It be handy to just make my download drive be the home folder if I could change the mount point.

Why do symlinks not work? You can even create and manage them in the web interface using the downloader plugin.

I really wanted to get this working but it will take me months to figure out and the response on this foum not good. I am going to go back to regular Linux till you get this working better.

Get what working? Not sure what will take months to figure out. The response on this forum is better than most. Again, I can't change anything. OMV is regular Linux with a web interface to help change config files.

You system seems to be well adapted for one large drive but for us that run many volumes it is just a pain.

This doesn't make sense. Why is OMV adapted to one large drive? I have multiple OMV servers with many volumes and LOTS of shared folders.

• This is really funny. If anyone is this dumb they can use the symmlink TAB in the downloader plugin to create symlinks with the name they want in the root of the system drive for each UUID.

I did an example. See pic...

My first Data Drive is labeled HD1:

• lol it is funny, but I have never used a symlink in linux before. I tried it in windows but later deleted the link and wiped my data also doing it. I do not like to use them. I want my data were it shows up on the directory. No smoke and mirrors. I'm now making a web server to share stuff to hundreds of users this is just a private media server for connecting to 1 tv. Why if symlinks are needed so much are they in some obscure downloader plugin and not part of the main os that is like pond with no fish fishermen run up on the hill and grab the downloader plugin and somewhere you will find the fish.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Obscure plugin? They aren't in the core because 99% of people don't need them. So, I added them to a plugin that I thought they would be used the most. That was a long time ago. Would they fit better in a different plugin or in their own plugin? Yes but why fix something that isn't broken. I haven't received complaints about their location.

Links in Windows are not the same as symlinks in Linux. The data will show up in the directory and there is no smoke and mirrors. They work very well and are used in a lot of places in linux for the exact purpose I am recommending. Take a library file libhandle.so.1 for instance. The actual file is libhandle.so.1.0.3. A symlink is used to point libhandle.so.1 -> libhandle.so.1.0.3 so that you don't need to change programs with a minor version change and so you don't have to remember the long filename. Sound familar? I administer web servers that thousands of people use and they use symlinks.

• There you got your labels:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi, I've just stared to use OMV on Banana Pro device and I find it very useful, but...
    Inability to customize fstab settings in OMV makes quite big problems.

I can show you just few examples:
    - I need additional options for mounting filesystems, like: uid, gid, umask, fs-specific options... (OMV always removes them, making even unable to continue configuration of other OMV plugins - like NFS, Samba, FTP...)
    - I have many different partitions on multiple disks and UUID mount points are difficult to sort out in media devices connected via DLNA, NFS, Samba, etc. (symlink workarounds are not an option, because they wont work properly with external devices using standard protocols (not available via FTP, not working via DLNA/UPnP, making problems with some devices after mounted via NFS).

I propose to add 2 more fields to customize that - "Mount point" & "Options" that would fix such issues.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the very few people who actually needs this, you can edit the mount options in config.xml and they will be written to fstab every time. As for the UUID mount points, if symlinks don't work, you could always mount the partition twice. Just add another line in fstab outside the openmediavault tags and OMV will never touch it.

• Don't want to appear to "pile on" on this topic, but now with Docker in the mix, managing UUIDs in the bind mounts somewhat cumbersome with UUIDs. Anyway, I will use the suggestion above to mount them again twice in fstab.

UPDATE: OK, on second thought I will use the downloader plugin for symlinks because I need a guaranteed way to ensure that these are create first before the docker container starts. I spent quite a few hours today trying to figure out what broke when I upgraded OMV and to my surprise my symlinks were gone and when the docker containers started up they created the mount points as folders and I didn't realize those were supposed to be symlinks. I didn't go the fstab route because I don't know how remounting a mergerfs mountpoint would behave and don't want to fudge with my data.

Will the downloader plugin create the symlinks before the docker containers start?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the downloader plugin create the symlinks before the docker containers start?

Symlinks only need to be created once. They shouldn't disappear. Even uninstalling the downloader plugin (symlinks is its own plugin in OMV 3.x by the way) won't get rid of the symlinks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!