LUKS disk encryption plugin

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Chrome Version 46.0.2490.86 m (64-bit).

It does work as expected on IE 11 (YUK).

But solved on Chrome: I run Adblock Plus on Chrome but had it disabled for the OMV page. Enabling in for the page fixed it, go figure!

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• What's new in 2.0.0? I thought there was a change log page somewhere, but if there was I lost the bookmark.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You can always see the changes (when installed) here: /usr/share/doc/openmediavault-luksencryption/changelog.gz
    Or, I usually post new release here too: https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…t-luksencryption/releases

You were too quick to install it for me though!
    New in 2.0.0:

• Key file support!
    • Kill slot renamed to erase slot.
    • Kill (erase) slot now done without key verification (batch-mode).
    • Warning added when removing the last key.
    • Check for multi-device BTRFS filesystems when auto-mounting improved.
    • Dependency updated now that OMV 2.1.19 is out.
    • Dependency updated to require omv-extras plugin >=2.9 for custom (multi-file) upload.
  • I see you are improving BTRFS filesystems auto-mounting. Any plans to do the same for aufs?

What about having a user defined script run, if it exists, after unlocking and auto-mounting is completed? Something along the lines of how /etc/rc.local is done. Or an extra options box like there is in the SMB/CIFS and SSH modules where shell code could be pasted in.

I could handle those aufs mounts that way.

--

• I have no plans for aufs at the moment I'm afraid. The BTRFS check was small and easy - don't mount if not all devices are ready - because a BTRFS filesystem can be mounted by giving just one of any of the component devices.
    Extra options might be the way to go, I might look into it when it comes to auto-unlocking. I have little experience with aufs and I'd prefer to get a stable version of the plugin out sooner though.
    You could probably write a script that reacts to the unlock via udev to do your aufs mount in the mean time.

• You could probably write a script that reacts to the unlock via udev to do your aufs mount in the mean time.

I'll take a hint or two on how to do that if you have any. Thanks.

--

• Looks like a good starting point, thanks.

Edit:

Not sure why, but automounting after unlocking no longer works here. When I do the mount manually from the Filesystems module, I do get something written to the console that I could probably grab and use in udev, or maybe upstart.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Upstart is an Ubuntu thing, not sure that will help.

Auto-mount only works for filesystems that are known to OMV, which is to say, they appear in the config.xml (and also /etc/fstab) - unmounting them via the Filesystems tab undoes this, it removes the fstab and config.xml entries, so make sure you are not doing this if testing.

• OK, I get it now, just don't unmount and it will auto-mount in the future when unlocked.

Here's what I find odd then.

I can't lock a disk unless I manually unmount it first - the option to lock is grayed out until the Filesystem is unmounted. Then, since I decided to unmount the filesystem it will not auto-mount the next time the disk is unlocked.

Perhaps the lock button could be made 'smarter' - unmounting a filesystem if mounted, then locking the disk, but not making changes to fstab or config.xml so that auto-mounting still works next time?
    Of course if I am shutting the machine down normally or rebooting, none of this matters, as these operations do not alter /etc/fstab or config.xml.

--

• Will people want to repeatedly unlock & lock devices?
    I prefer to leave the current lock button behaviour as it is, since it serves two purposes: 1) it forces the user to think about the consequences of locking and why do they want to do it
    2) it minimises surprises and mimics current OMV behaviour - having to stop/remove services before unmounting, unmount before locking, etc., the user realises what they have to do
    Auto-mounting is basically for first boot. I envisaged that users boot, decrypt and then leave running.

• Having some problems now. I am on v2.0.0 of the plugin.

Trying to setup an encrypted USB stick. I press Create and select it from the dropdown list, enter passphrase twice, and continue. The plugin throws the following error in a popup box:

Error #4001:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Unable to create the encrypted device: Device /dev/sdd is not a valid LUKS device.' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/luks.inc:492
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceLuksMgmt->createContainer(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('createContainer', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('LuksMgmt', 'createContainer', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

If I try from the CLI in a shell with:

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdd

it is successful, the device then appears in the plugin, it can be unlocked, and then formatted and mounted in the File Systems page.

Ideas?

--

• Good catch, thanks - it was a typo that caused creating container with a passphrase to trigger 'open' rather than 'create'. I've fixed it in v2.0.1, should be out soon. You should also be able to verify that creation does work in v2.0.0 if you use a keyfile rather than a passphrase.

• Thanks for making this plugin! This is a great addition to OMV.

I started playing with it on my OMV VM. After creating one encrypted partition, I get what's below - the encrypted partition is listed six times. It kind of works aside of this "cosmetic" issue, but I'm sure that's not the intended behavior :)

Note my setup is not standard, in that I have partitioned the single RAID5 array, and I use these partitions for different purposes (so different keying). It might (must?) be related to why we're seeing this.

Any insight?

• Thanks for reporting. So what's your setup, is /dev/md127 a RAID array? What is the partitioning on it like, and which of those partitions are LUKS containers? If you can tell me this, I will attempt to reproduce and work out where the plugin is going haywire.

• Thanks for reporting. So what's your setup, is /dev/md127 a RAID array? What is the partitioning on it like, and which of those partitions are LUKS containers? If you can tell me this, I will attempt to reproduce and work out where the plugin is going haywire.

Pleasure: /dev/md127 is a RAID5 array. It has been partitioned into three partitions (/dev/md127p1..3). In the current test, only p2 is a LUKS container - p1 and p3 are not. (I made this setup to test my own LUKS-on-top-of-OMV setup, before I bumped into your cool plugin; my setup had three partitions, one "plain" and two LUKS containers with different key configurations).

Thank you!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!