Downloader plugin?

• I have a hard time understanding what the openmediavault-downloader plugin does?
    I'm searching for a plugin that allows me to download anything from the web (not torrents or nzbs as I have plugins for that). But maybe if I want a big .zip-file or .exe to be downloaded to my NAS. This way it is downloaded and ready when I boot up my other computer.

Is this what the Downloader plugin does?

Or is there any more suitable plugin for this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try the downloader plugin? That is exactly what it does. If you choose youtube-dl, you can download video from various sites. If you choose aria2 or curl, it will download the file you specify in url form.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you always have to use a filename and it uses whatever filename you type in the box. youtube-dl definitely needs the extension because it performs different operations based on the extension.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fixed? I assume you mean the folder browser issue that we fixed and moved to omv-extras back at the end of August?

• What does the symlink feature do?

Zitat

I love that feature. So nice to be able to create/delete/list all your symlinks in once place and in the web gui.

I don't understand the use for it?
    Sorry for asking, want to learn!

• symlinks are used for many things. It is when you want folders/files to be somewhere else on your system. Say you have database folders in separate locations on your different drive or even on system drive. Then you want to make a backup of all your databases in one job. You could make a shared folder databasebackup and then create symlinks to that folder. Then backup the shared folder with all the symlinks us rsync with the -L option. Then it would backup all the databases at once. Here is another example is you wanted to back multiple shares in one job:

USB Backup Plugin: Backing up multiple shares with one Job

• Another useful thing I use it for is when I upload to a samba share I might want the file accessible without going to /media/uuid/sharename. I have a shared folder uploads at /media/uuid/uploads. I create a symlink to it in the root of my system drive at /uploads. Normally to do this you would do:
    cd / (to be at root of system drive
    ln -s /media/uuid/uploads uploads ( where uuid is the number for the data drive where the uploads shared folder is located)

Then to access the file I upload via the samba share I do not have to go to:
    /media/uuid/uploads

Once I am in putty I just:
    cd /uploads

Then I have access to the files without messing with the long path to /media/uuid/uploads

Symlinks are useful with services too. You might access to a given folder/files/binary/executables and the program doesn't have access to it because it is in the wrong location. There may be a problem because a data drive is mounted noexec. Symlinks are used many times to solve these problems.

• If you look at the picture above for uploads. Notice the destination. This location /upload cannot be selected with the tree folder at the right. The destination uploads symlink does not exist yet. In the destination I am putting the name of the symlink and the location. So I manually entered this in the Destination field:
    /uploads

I selected the Source shared folder with the tree by clicking on the folder on the right side of the Source field.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!