Request - webcam server

• Hi folks,

Firstly and most importantly, I want to thank everyone involved for OpenMediaVault. Having struggled to find a decent NAS in a long time I finally bought a N40L, learnt basic server operations and chose OMV. It's fantastic, and I've recommended it to all my colleagues. I currently use it for media streaming (MiniDLNA is awesome), print serving (likewise CUPS) and for backups. I work for Linn, a hi-fi manufacturer, and would like to extend an invitation to the developers to our headquarters if they would find this interesting and useful.

All that aside, I'd like to register a request for a webcam plugin. My server runs 24/7 and I'd love to attach my USB webcam and access this from wherever I'm working. Regrettably I don't have anywhere near the sufficient skills to code, but maybe someone out there does?

My thanks again, and best wishes to the teams.

George.

OMV 1.0 running on HP Microserver N40L, 8GB/5.5TB
    MiniDLNA, CUPS, Transmission, ClamAV
    Serving Linn DS music system and Raspberry Pi/OpenELEC

• Maybe this is something I could do in VirtualBox? No idea how though - any thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Cleggy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Look into the webcam server called Motion.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Look into the webcam server called Motion.

Will do buddy, many thanks.

• ryecoaaron,

Thanks for the link, and thanks to the OP for the thread!

Has anyone thrown together an installation walk through on this, or can conform that it runs nicely on an OMV server? I would love to add this to mine so that I can keep local images rather than paying for an online service....

Cheers
    Paul

• Weird, I've (from a command line) installed Motion and, seperately, Zoneminder. But I can't get either to work on my OMV box. No problem on the Raspberry Pi.

Motion turns on the light on the webcam so all looks goo, however it doesn't appear to be broadcasting anything.
    ZM allows me to "add a monitor" but I can't make any progress past this.

I think it's my noobness that's letting me down, though I have tried all instructions to the letter and I can do this on my Rpi.

A plugin would be really cool!

• I use BlueIris for my fifferent IP-Webcams.
    For me its the best Software ever. But it works with Windows.
    I use VirtualBox and a small vrtual Windows XP, BlueIris can work as a Service.
    CPU 10-15% , RAM 128MB
    It has very much Features and works very good with my VU+ Receivers (IPTV Stream h264)

Test the Demo

Sorry for my bad english

Dodo

• Thanks Dodo, and please don't apologise for your (excellent) English!

I'll give BlueIris a spin in a XP VM, will let you know how I get on.

Would still love an OMV plugin though if anyone has the time or inclination! :)

• Well, not sure what I did differently this time however I've got Motion working perfectly from the OMW command line.
    Installed it, edited the config accordingly, started the service and now looking at the view from my window from any device on the network.

• I'm really interested in this topic.
    I had 3 cheap ipcam from Sricam and I'm trying to setup a simple surveillance system.
    I tried blue iris with virtualbox and is really nice but I want to run my system on a raspberry pi2 with OMV.
    Any hints about how to install zoneminder with OMV?
    Does zoneminder show onvif ip camera?Rtsp video from camera?

• I would also like to have zoneminder plugin.

I bought a 4 bay case with the intention of 1 x data, 1 x media, 1 x video surveillance.
    Got my cameras, but just need to be able to get zoneminder on the box

• Hi Guys,

i was able to run zoneminder on my old omv system.
    Please dont ask how i got it to work, the old system is not running anymore and i had not written any dokumentation.

But i need to tell you that the software was not good enough.
    I dont like the webgui.
    As far as i know i was also not able to connect to any cam.

I'm still searching for something like the synology surveilance station or so.

BR Robert

OMV 5.x always up to date.
    Modded dell t20 into 19" rack case with Pearl LCD Display (Status Display!)

xeon e3-1225v3 / 32GB RAM / 1x500GB WD Blue SSD (OS) / 1x250 SSD (not used) / 1x1 TB Toshiba HHD (MultiDisk) / 4x 4TB WD40EFRX (Raid5)

• why do we use docker and not install directly?
    I asked this on another thread too. e.g. plex has omvextra and docker install - why one over the other?

why motioneye over zoneminder or kerberos?
    I just got 3 cameras for outside with infrared, motion detection, etc and having decided on what to run.

• motion and motioneye doesn't support RTSP ;(

Sure it does. I'm running a cheap RTSP cam on it right now.

why do we use docker and not install directly?
    I asked this on another thread too. e.g. plex has omvextra and docker install - why one over the other?

Docker is useful when there is no plugin available. It's also nice for portability. For example, it might be easier to deploy a functional docker image than to git clone, compile, and install motion+eye and its dependencies.

why motioneye over zoneminder or kerberos?I just got 3 cameras for outside with infrared, motion detection, etc and having decided on what to run.

I heven't tried it, but zoneminder looked heavier, requires a database, and doesn't have a very pleasant UI. Motion+Motioneye is a lot leaner and has a nice UI. Kerberos looks like it's a Raspberry Pi app.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!