Transmission won't start. Permission problem?

• Hello,
    I've run transmission for years. A couple of days ago I added a torrent but it wouldn't download. I eventually restarted OMV but now transmission won't even start.

I looked in my transmission logs and got a lot of errors like:

Code
    Dec  7 07:35:05 openmediavault transmission-daemon[29004]: Couldn't read "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/torrents/epl+2015+day15+05+dec+arsenal+v+sunderland+720p+en+jaguar777.d4fb4ceefa680683.torrent": Permission denied (utils.c:218)

When I try to start transmission I get this: Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'transmission-daemon' start 2>&1': Starting bittorrent daemon: transmission-daemon[07:01:06.129] Couldn't read "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json": Permission denied (warning). invoke-rc.d: initscript transmission-daemon, action "start" failed.

Error details are:

Any ideas?

• Yes, I'm in putty as root. I tried the command for both owner and group and got
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root debian-transmission 4096 Dec 9 06:55 transmission-daemon

So that's kind of weird (as far as I know, which isn't a lot).

• OMV is mounted on HDD.
    mount gives:
    root@openmediavault:~# mount
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=368698,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=296300k,mode=755)
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/1bf8cdd4-4667-4a06-917f-286abd341c23 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
    tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
    tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1550440k)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
    /dev/sdb1 on /media/8307d85e-116f-466b-bb84-366f9028fa08 type ext4 (rw,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,_netdev)
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/8b48f1c6-de36-454f-9427-90fb1953b794 type ext4 (rw,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,_netdev)
    /dev/sde1 on /media/97516248-60be-46bc-8528-5eb3d1708497 type ext4 (rw,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,_netdev)
    /dev/sdd1 on /media/f0cffec4-ed8a-41cd-89c4-7a7d066a27d6 type ext4 (rw,noexec,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered,jqfmt=vfsv0,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,_netdev)
    /media/8307d85e-116f-466b-bb84-366f9028fa08;/media/8b48f1c6-de36-454f-9427-90fb1953b794;/media/f0cffec4-ed8a-41cd-89c4-7a7d066a27d6 on /media/0a08d3df-bdd9-4bdc-8de7-a6198639892a type fuse.mhddfs (rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
    rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
    none on /var/spool/greyhole/mem type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=4096k)

• Ah, of course.
    Ok, here it is

root@openmediavault:/etc/transmission-daemon# ls -la /etc/transmission-daemon
    total 36
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root debian-transmission 4096 Dec 10 07:18 .
    drwxrwxr-x 106 root root 12288 Dec 9 18:22 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 303 Jan 6 2013 README.json
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root debian-transmission 12288 Dec 10 07:18 .README.json.swp
    --w------- 1 debian-transmission debian-transmission 1849 Dec 9 17:39 settings.json

• Hello Subzero79 I hope you can help solving the problem I am having with 1 of 3 OMV nas servers. all same configurations, but on the last one I can't use transmission. Have tried everything as written below:
    shared folder has correct permissions (user Mastro, users)
    watch directory is /media/UUID/temp/torrent
    incomplete directory is /media/UUID/temp/dnl
    I have manually edited the /etc/debian-transmission/settings.json and permission of /etc/debian-transmission is 664 as you suggested
    when I copy a file into watch directory nothing happens
    if I upload the same file using transmission web gui (to the same watch directory) the download starts but I get the error access to watch directory denied. The torrent file is not renamed in .added as usual.
    I upgraded to OMV 2.0 with same results. Reinstalled transmission several time without any success.... running out of options..
    thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have manually edited the /etc/debian-transmission/settings.json and permission of /etc/debian-transmission is 664 as you suggested

Editing settings.json file manually is pointless, don't keep trying wont do anything.
    If you have a shared folder for /media/UUID/temp/ go to the section, and to reset permission tab. Reset the permissions to everyone with drop down menu.

• First of all tahnks for helping...
    I have done that already, but doing it again:
    torrent dir is showing the permissions or the folders after resetting the permission form OMV gui (clear all ACLs and R/W to everyone)
    as you can see there are 2 torrent files in the watch directory and are not renamed to .added, no download is started
    I tried as well changing owner of /media/uuid/temp and subfolder to mastro and permissions to 777
    chown -R mastro /media/uuid/temp
    chmod -R 777 /media/uuid/temp
    results in second picture
    no downloads are starting
    attached is the settings.json file as well (renamed to .txt for simplicity)
    must be something else I am missing... i have another NAS server running well, with exact same configuration ( same permissions, same user name, same folders structures... only the uuids are different) really wierd...
    cheers

• one more point... if I upload a torrent file to transmission using the transmission web gui ( I can use the media/uuid/Media/DNL proposed destination link or change it to media/uuid/temp/torrent, same outcome: starts downloading but then stops for permission denied... but I do not see any torrent fine in any one of my directories... where is the torrent file actually written?

• Your /media and /media/{uuid} directory is missing executable permissions for others. Currently Transmission can never reach directories beneath it because of it.

Also, the correct permissions for /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json is 600. It used to contain the plaintext password for the webui in earlier versions of Transmission. And the permissions that was there on /etc/transmission-daemon was already correct.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von HK-47 ()

• hi HK-47
    I just noticed the permission for /media/uuid is currently still 776, same for all subfolders
    going to change it to 777... but in my first OMV NAS (where transmission is working fine) the /media/uuid permission is 776, so why is this working for one NAs and not for another?
    permission of settings.json is 600
    I tried changing that to 777 but no luck
    see attached png file...
    I was not kidding when i said I run out of options...
    I believe there is something with one of the plugin files... When I open the transmission web GUI the connection failed error message keeps popping up. I may have a corrupted file in my system. so is there a way I can uninstall transmission completely, get rid of all the files to make a new transmission clean installation?

cheers

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!