OMV on an ancient Synology?

• Got a bit of a time-crunch here, I'm putting together a new PC for my mother, and while I was at it decided I should probably set up something to have offsite backups for both them (in Connecticut) and us (in Maine). Anything big enough to get BOTH of us and the planet's done blown up anyhow.

I'd planned to do something along the lines of taking this old Synology CS407e that I had kicking around, sticking 3x1TB drives in RAID5 in it, and having it set up with something like either CrashPlan or even a VPN setup, but the CS407e uses DSM 3.1 which is apparently too old to get CrashPlan or OpenVPN working on.

I've GOT a couple of old comps that I theoretically could build out, but the space to put a full-sized case is very limited, which is why I wanted to go with the Synology, but I think it'd overall be a lot easier if I could get OMV installed on the thing. Is this even possible? I have a week and a half to finish it before we head down to their place for Christmas, and if I have to use something else I'll need to order some parts in a hurry, so figured I'd ask here. I didn't see anything in forum search indicating one way or another.

Thanks guys!

• Offizieller Beitrag

That synology has a powerpc cpu (which we did add to the repo) but it only has 64mb ram. It would be much slower than an RPi2.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah, wasn't really expecting speed out of it, but it's on-hand, in an enclosure, and has SATA ports, so I figured it'd be worth a shot to ask.

64MB RAM is a tad less than I really thought anything'd have these days though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can get debian wheezy on it, OMV might work well enough to use.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• A while ago, I upgraded my old Synology 107 to newest firmware although there was no official upgrade available. I think it was some 5.xxx. I can't look, because I don't have it anymore. But the way was to look which newer Synology stations are comparable e.g. processor, RAM. In my case it was DS 110J. So I "told" my DS107 to be a DS110J and voila, I got the official upgrade. I believe 107 and 407 is the same SW.

• Thanks guys. I came across an old laptop that I forgot we had but is a Core2Duo with 4GB of RAM that - while totally unsuitable for OMV - will work just fine for the "desktop" (and reduce the size footprint a lot) which means the desktop PC I was building can now become an OMV box with no issues.

I'll probably play around with the Synology at some point, but for now this will work a lot better with a lot less headache.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!