Plex can't see folders

• I've just starting using OMV a couple of days ago. I'm learning a lot using VirtualBox while I wait for the hardware to arrive and I assemble the machine. I've gotten just about everything I need figured out except for Plex.

Originally tried to use minidlna, and it looked like it was going to work, but my Samsung TV said that it was unable to play when I tried to play an mp4 home movie. Looking through the forums most recommendations were to use Plex, so I switched over to try to get that to work.

I've gotten through most of my issues looking through old forum posts, except I seem to be stuck with Plex not seeing the folders I've created. I know this is the topic of several threads before and I swear I've tried everything they've tried several times. I've recreated the shared directories with the proper permissions, I've reset the shared directory permissions, I've re-created the SMB shares, reinstalled Plex, restarted the server.

The permission look okay from what I can tell below (read permissions for others):

Any ideas on why when I go into Plex to create a Library I don't see the folders show up when I get to the "Add folders" step? It just shows blank when I get to '/media/d8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5'.

Thanks in advance.

• How do you have your movies organized?

Movies --> A, B, C or just all Movies in this one folder? What is the file system Extention? What File permissions do the movies have?

I sometimes have problems reading files when plex is not in the "users" group. It should work without, but I have less problems since that:
    usermod -a -G users plex and a service plexmediaserver restart after that.

• Zitat

I sometimes have problems reading files when plex is not in the "users"
    group. It should work without, but I have less problems since that:

This worked! So apparently Plex can't see the directories with the 'other' permissions it needed to get access through being part of the user group. I'm glad it worked, but this seems odd considering what I've seen in the other threads.

Zitat

How do you have your movies organized? Movies --> A, B, C or just all Movies in this one folder?

I have a single movie in the Movie directory right now for the purpose of testing it out. I have a single mp3 in the Music directory.

Zitat

What is the file system Extention?

.mp4 for the movie and .mp3 for the Music file.

Zitat

What File permissions do the movies have?

They inherited the correct permissions:

Code
    root@openmediavault:/media/d8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5/Movies# ls -l
    total 9104
    -rwxrw-r-- 1 Reed users 9322157 Sep 22 00:48 IMG_1181.mp4
  • Any ideas on why it needs to use group permissions to see the folders? I had ensured the 'Others:read-only' option was set when I created the Shared Folder. From the other threads that has been sufficient for Plex to see the folders.

• Bingo!

I think you nailed it. In Linux you must have permissions all the way up through the parents. 'd8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5' doesn't have the correct permissions.

Any idea at what point in the process 'd8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5' was created?

Code
    root@openmediavault:/media# ls -la
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root root  4096 Dec 13 08:32 .
    drwxr-xr-x 24 root root  4096 Dec 12 12:15 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     6 Dec 12 09:52 cdrom -> cdrom0
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4096 Dec 12 09:52 cdrom0
    drwxrws---  6 root users 4096 Dec 13 22:18 d8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5
  • I'd have had to have done it through the web interface somehow. I didn't start poking around through ssh until I had issues with Plex. However, the reset tool under 'SharedFolders' only allows me to select shared folders under 'd8d177bb-9add-4024-88c3-b1d3a95206c5' so I'm not sure how I did it.

• Must have been the shared folder for the whole mounted disk. I was pretty confused early on and that sounds like something that might have occurred. Moving the disk isn't a possibility as this is a VirtualBox setup I'm using to hammer out the settings.

Thanks for all the help!

• How do you have your movies organized?

Movies --> A, B, C or just all Movies in this one folder? What is the file system Extention? What File permissions do the movies have?

I sometimes have problems reading files when plex is not in the "users" group. It should work without, but I have less problems since that:

This!!! My PMS was not detecting any changes in the music or video folders and, therefore, not updating the corresponding libraries. I checked and updated the ACLs but it still didn't worked. I added Plex to the users group and it intermediately worked. Thanks a lot!

Custom mini-ITX build
    Coolcube Mini, Intel Desktop Board DQ77KB, Intel Core i7-3770S, 8 GB DDR3 Ram, 64 GB Trascend mSata SSD (OS), X3 1TB HDD pooled + parity

Dell Optiplex 960 sff (deprecated) - link

Dell Optiplex FX160 (repurposed) - link

"If you can't find it in Google, it simply doesn't exist!" - The Internetz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!