OMV virtualbox VT-D

• Hey there ;)

I´m planning to replace my htpc with windows 7 and "DVB-Viewer Recording Service" (TV-Server) and my Synology DS411 with an new Home Server / HTPC.
    The Hardware is the following:

- CPU Intel Core i5 4460 / Xeon v3
    - Asrock E3C226D2I
    - 8gb RAM
    - USB Stick for OMV
    - PCIe TV-Card (Skystar S952 v3)
    - 3*4 TB for Data (Raid 5 in OMV)

- OMV
    - Virtual Box-Plugin with Windows 10 as Guest
    - Plex-Plugin
    - ownCloud-Plugin

As i want to use the DVB-Viewer Recording Service, wich is just running on Windows, i have to use Windows as a guest System on OMV.
    My plan is to:
    - Install OMV on USB Stick
    - Create a Raid 5 over the 3 Hard Drives
    - Install Virtual Box Plugin
    - in virtual Box install Windows 10 Pro with DVB Viewer Recording Service

The Virtual Machine (Windows 10) of course needs to get access to the TV-Card, so my question is:
    Can i use VT-d (PCIe Passthrough) in the virutalBox Plugin? My hardware supports it, but does the plugin support it?? It would be very nice, if it supports, cause then i could solve all my problems :D

Another quick question: The plugins (ownCloud, Plex), do they update themselves, so automatically?

So, thanks for the help!!!

Junias

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin doesn't determine if virtualbox supports VT-d. phpvirtualbox is installed by the plugin and does allow you to enable/disable VT-d. See attached pic.

Plugins don't automatically update (dangerous in my opinion) but the updates do show up in the Updates tab for you to install.

Bilder

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ok, thanks ;)
    it´s ok, seems to be not to difficult/inconvenient to update plugins ;)

virtualisation: there is nothing about VT-d... there´s just VT-x, but not VT-d (pcie passthrough)...
    Can anyone tell, if the virtualbox plugin suports pcie passthrough (vt-d)?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin doesn't determine if virtualbox supports VT-d (which it does). If I remember correctly, it is left out of phpvirtualbox because most people use it for graphics. This doesn't help much on a headless box where you aren't using the virtualbox gui which would benefit from the passthrough.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

phpvirtualbox doesn't show the option. That doesn't mean you can't manually configure it from the command line.

• mh, ok...
    does anyone knows how to enable it...?? ;)
    an another thing: can anyone tell me, that it´s working ? ;)

i would be really pleased if anyone can tell, cause before i will install omv i want to be sure that this setup will work ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Google told me how to enable it... link

• Offizieller Beitrag

another question: there it says, that the host kernel (so omv) hast to support IOMMU. Does omv 2 support it?

You don't say which IOMMU but many are enabled. I'm guessing the AMD and INTEL IOMMU are the important ones in the list below.

• ok, das sieht ja gut aus :)
    dann werd ich das vermutlich einfach mal ausprobieren ;)

kurze andere Frage:
    Ich werde 3 4TB Festplatten haben.
    Ich würde eigentlich folgendes gerne haben:
    - Freigabe für Daten, mit einfacher Sicherung
    - Freigabe für Dokumente (ownCloud-Verzeichnis), mit doppelter Sicherung
    Geht das überhaupt? In Windows wäre das möglich mit Storage Pools und Storage Spaces, geht das auch in OMV?

Und, welches RAID-System wäre sinnvoll? "Normales" Raid oder SnapRaid?
    Was mir einigermaßen wichtig wäre ist, dass ich nachträglich noch zusätzliche Platten zum Raid hinzufügen kann (ohne zu viel Aufwand)...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't speak german. Why did you switch?

OMV would be good for backups. Not sure about the rest of your questions due to google translation weirdness.

• oh shit, i´ve just forgotten to write in english... how bad :D
    i´m sry... here´s the translation :D

"
    thanks, looks well ;)
    think i will give ovm a try ;)

another short question:
    i´ll have 3 drives a 4tb

and i would like to do the following:
    - shared folder for data, with "normal" security/redundancy (raid 5)
    - shared folder for documents (ownCloud-foolder), with double security/redundancy --> two of the three disks can get broken

Is that possible? In Windows Server it´s possible during Storage Pools and Storage spaces, but it´s possible in omv?

And, what for a RAID do you recommend? "Normal" Raid or SnapRaid / unRaid / flexRaid?
    For me it´s important to have a high availibility/security and to expand the raid with more drives easily ;)
    "

Thank you!

*Shame*

• Offizieller Beitrag

All of that should work ok. If you want two of three disks to fail and not lose data, you will need to use something other than normal raid. Snapraid should work but isn't realtime. Not sure of your requirements there. The best solution in my opinion is to add another drive and use standard raid 6 with two shared folders (one for data and one for docs).

• mh, well, i think raid 6 is bad for me, cause then i loose too many space (2 of 4 drives....)
    i tought about that:
    - two drives redundancy only for documents... the documents folder is something about 100/200gb, so i will not loose to much free space
    - one drive redundancy for all other data (videos, music, backups, picuters)... this folder (data) will be something about 3-4 tb, so there i want only a one drive redundancy to not loose to much space...

i don´t know if this is possible... with a standard raid i think it isn´t possible, right?
    maybe someone knows something about this ;)
    but maybe my suggestions are a little... complicated :D

then i just will use snap raid/raid with one drive redundancy...
    but what will be the better one? snap raid/raid/flex raid/zfs...?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't use raid because there isn't a type that fits your needs.

They only way I can think of to have two drive redundancy with docs is to keep the three drives independent. Use rsync or rsnapshot (better in my opinion, gives more backups) and run hourly to each of the two other drives.

For the video, use daily rsync backup from one drive to another. You could pool two of them for more space but then the third drive wouldn't be big enough for a full backup.

So, once again, back to three drives not being idea and one drive having very little use (just for second docs backup). I guess you could use snapraid and have the third drive for parity (redundancy not backup).

• mh, ok, i will take a look ;)
    i think, i will use Raid 5, SnapRaid or flexRaid...
    But at this point i think, Raid 5 fits my needs as best, cause the implementation and administration is not difficult und at the time i have a raid5 in my synology an it´s ok...
    i will do weekly bakcups, then i think it´s ok...

another question:
    if i would use esxi, i would install esxi on a usb-stick. the vm´s has to be installed on an hdd/ssd, then i would have 5 disks for my data. that´s ok.
    But i want to use VT-D passtrough to give the controller to the omv-vm. but on the controller, there is already the vm-ssd, so i think i can´t passthrough the complete controller to the vm, right? How do in handle this problem?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!