Can the RemoteShare plugin be used to mount NFS volumes as the only shared folders?

• So I was trying to set up an OMV as a test with only remote NFS shares. I installed the RemoteShare plugin, and it doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I go to add an NFS (or SMB, or whatever) share as a Shared Folder, and it asks me to select the shared folder I'm going to use. If I try to tell it to create a shared folder, it asks me for the file system I'm going to put it on, but doesn't give an option to select the share I'm trying to create.

Am I missing something, or does the RemoteShare plugin require an existing data drive to mount to?

• I knew that you couldn't use the root/install drive to do the job, but I was hoping that the remote-share plugin would let me mount a remote share without needing the local ones. I've got my old OMV box still running DNS and DHCP for the network, as well as serving as an SSH jump-box, and wanted to be able to do backups. Not a big deal, thanks for the info.

• As subzero suggested what I do is create the /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ folder and then I create a symlink to that putting the root into /media

In the example below I have a shared folder called archive01 that I have created a folder for and then setup the remoteshare plugin to mount to it and then I create the symlink so I can access the drive by simply using /media/archive01 instead of needing to go to /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ everytime.

ln -s /media/XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX/archive01/ /media/

• I'm confused now, none of that has any relevance to what I was asking about so I'm wondering if I'm not asking it correctly.

I've got an OMV box with no drives in it other than the install drive. I therefore cannot create a Shared Folder, because there's no other File Systems listed anywhere. I can (manually) mount an NFS share without issue, but it doesn't show up as an option.

I installed the RemoteShare plugin and went to add a share. In addition to the NFS information, it wants me to pick a Shared Folder to mount to. Since there's no shared folder to mount to, I can't create the NFS remote shared folder. If I tell it I want to add a shared folder, it asks me to pick the file system, which I can't do because the only file system on the machine is the root FS.

So is what I'm trying to do - mount a remote filesystem as a shared folder without a physical data drive - impossible? I can always set up a USB stick or something as a "data" drive to mount to for testing, but I was hoping to not have to do that.

• Gotcha, not really worth it then. I'm trying to move it to a VM without losing configs, and I can either back up to remote share with the backup plugin, then restore on a clean VM, or I can use VMWare's P2V setup, which generates a 75GB VM because the thing's installed on an 80GB drive. Not worth the headaches when the box is going away in the end.

Thanks guys!

• If your trying to make a physical box a VM then I would suggest just using clonezilla. Just back it up and then create a VM with the same size hard drive and use clonezill inside the VM to restore. Workes perfect and I use it all the time.

If you want to run OMV with one drive and partition it to allow you to create part of the Installation disk as storage read the post below:

Installation disk as storage - GRUB problem

Good luck.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!