OMV Reboots on Shutdown after upgrade from Sardaukar to Stone Burner

• Hi all - I am a first time poster. I have my OMV NAS set up so that it turns itself on (via a BIOS setting) at 7 AM (EST US) every morning, and then I have a Scheduled Job set up under Power Management that shuts down the NAS at 10:00 AM (EST US). I recently upgraded to Stone Burner (2.1.19), and now the machine reboots instead of shutting down at 10:00 AM.I have to go in through the Web GUI to manually shut down the machine, and, even using that method, it takes 5 or 6 tries until the machine shuts down and remains off. It did not exhibit this behavior under the prior release.

In order to rule out a bad Power Supply Unit, I booted my OMV NAS to a "Live" version of Ubuntu several times, and confirmed that the shutdown in Ubuntu turns off the machine properly, and there is not unexpected reboot.

Any thoughts on what might cause this?

Thanks!

• Thanks for the quick response! I'm a bit of a noob - I used putty.exe to SSH into my OMV, and tried to execute the lspci command, and it tells me that lspci is not found. Is there another method I should be using?

Also, I did confirm through the OMV GUI that WOL is disabled. Should it also be disabled in the BIOS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

apt-get install pciutils will install lspci

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok thanks - installed the PCI utilities and ran lspci -nn. Result:

02:00.0 Ethernet Controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)

It is indeed a Realtek (onboard) NIC.

• Thanks - I verified that "PME Event Wakeup" is disabled in the BIOS, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I was hoping to avoid swapping out the PSU, but I'm thinking that's the way to go at this point, to rule out that it's a bad PSU. I'll report back if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks!

• Hello,

I got the same problem after Upgrade from Sardaukar to Stoneburner.

As I have another NIC, there must be another problem!

root@omvbackup:~# lspci | grep Eth
    40:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)

Could this be a bug in Debian Wheezy? I found some older debian bug reports from 2014, but no clear resolution.

Thanks for your advice

• Hello,

I now ran 'omv-firstaid" and deactivated WOL for eth0. But the error still occurs.

Command "shutdown -h now" reboots the system, but doesn't halt. Before upgrading to Debian Wheezy & OMV stoneburner shutdown was working fine on this machine.

• Hello,

seems to be a bug in linux kernel 3.2.0-4-486. After unsuccessful application of several solution tips from other Debian users, I bootet with the old kernel version 2.6.32-5-486 and "Shutdown -h xxx" works again !

Workaround is now, running my omv 2.x installation with the older 2.6.32-5-486 kernel.

I hope someone knows a final solution, so I can use the newer kernel in th near future.

Thanks in advance

• A final update - I tried disabling the Realtek NIC in the BIOS, and installing an old SMC fast ethernet NIC in one of the PCI slots. I reinstalled OMV, and, while it configured and used the SMC NIC, it made no difference with the rebooting on shutdown. I ultimately swapped out the motherboard for a motherboard with an onboard Broadcom AC131 fast Ethernet NIC. That solved the rebooting problem.

The bad news is I downgraded from gigabit Ethernet to fast Ethernet - the good news is OMV had no problem retaining all the existing data on my media drives through the reinstallation (3 SATA drives of various capacity configured in linear RAID) - I simply left the data drives disconnected during the OMV reinstall to my OS drive, reconnected them after the install, and remounted the shares.

I will probably pick up a new NIC to get back to gigabit speeds - ANY brand except Realtek.

• Stick with Intel for NIC and CPU for performance and reliability.
    I think we should have a DIY NAS guide for users with this kind of tips.
    Save time, and headache for everybody.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• I've successfully run Volker's version of FreeNAS and all prior versions of OpenMediaVault on a variety of processors, both Intel (Atom) and AMD (Sempron 140 Sargas and an Athlon X2 4850e),all on consumer grade motherboards. 2 out of 3 of those motherboards (including the Foxconn board that the Intel Atom is running on) have Realtek onboard NICs.

My OMV needs are modest, and have been served well by modest hardware, both in the Intel and AMD family. I am successfully up and running again on an ECS/AMD motherboard/processor combo - the lowly and inexpensive ECS board is over 6 years old, having been operated as a FreeNAS, a Windows desktop machine, and finally back in service as an OMV NAS to rectify the current NIC reboot issue - so my own experience leads me to believe that the AMD processor is not implicated in this case.

The OMV software is fantastic, as are the support forums. I suspect a number of OMV users are running onboard Realtek NICs, and potentially a subsequent release may fix my issue. I didn't find it a headache to swap motherboards, and certainly hope I didn't waste anyone's time - I received nearly instantaneous and excellent response, with forum members quickly identifying the Realtek NIC as the root cause - I would hope that relating my experience is viewed as building the knowledge base, not wasting anyone's time. Thanks all.

• @artcab,
    I think you misunderstood me.
    I"m not saying that you or anybody in this forum waste other's people time, but the device(s)/drivers(s) such as NIC or CPU that cause OMV not to functions properly in this 2.x.x.
    As a result, we have to run diagnostics, trial & errors, and searching for solutions....

Overall, OMV is one of the best for NAS, and a very helpful community.

Thanks.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Is there no solution for this behavior?
    I have a Dell T20 (last BIOS version, OMV2 with 3.16 Kernel) and with WOL enabled in BIOS the PC reboots after shutdown.
    If the WOL is disabled the PC stays off after shutdown.

However "pm-hibernate" works. The PC didnt reboot after it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a Dell T20 (last BIOS version, OMV2 with 3.16 Kernel) and with WOL enabled in BIOS the PC reboots after shutdown.
    If the WOL is disabled the PC stays off after shutdown.

This is probably a hardware/driver issue. OMV 3.x with the backports 4.8 kernel would be a better option for that server.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Same thing with an Acer E380 (ECS mobo, AMD athlon 64 4200+, 2gB ddr2)

Sometimes (less than 1/10 Times) shutdown -h now or shutdown via WebGUI halts the computer
    Mostly, it reboots and then After reboot, shutdown works.
    I already had this problem with omv2.

I'm actually on Omv3 (3.0.57) with backports kernel

Ps: It seems that our configs are running with an AMD k8 processor, Am I right ?

What Motherboard chipsets do you have ?

Personnaly i have NVidia MCP61 chip.

Ps2: I tried to disable WOL in the BIOS, and yes, the computer shut down properly everytime.
    I don't think it's related to the ethernet chip, because i don't have the same as yours. (i have a Marvell one)

Ps3: if the WOL is disabled Into OMV and enabled Into BIOS, WOL doesn't work anymore but the system reboots and does not shutdown.

So, WOL needs to be disabled Into the BIOS to shutdown properly the computer in one Time.

Envoyé de mon FRD-L09 en utilisant Tapatalk

• This is probably a hardware/driver issue. OMV 3.x with the backports 4.8 kernel would be a better option for that server.

First, happy new year to everybody :)

I`m running OMV 3.0.59 & 4.8er Kernel on the Dell T20 (newest Bios A11), same issue. When WOL is activated in BIOS, the Server reboots after shutdown -h 0. Automatically restarts after 3-4 seconds.
    Tested it with all possible combinations (S4/5 , PXE , NIC Settings). No sucess.

Alternatively, it is possible to "wake up" the switched off server via the Intel AMT function. ---> Bios: Disable WOL and install MEBx (F12).

This works fortunately so far perfectly, but a functioning WOL would be better.

Sorry, my english is not so good. my german is much better. But i hope, we have a little bit lucky and win the american soccer championship*
    *Quote: Lothar Matthäus ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!