Weird "eth1 NIC Link is Down" problem.

• Hi,

I am running a OMV 1.19 on a AMD 5350 Box.
    I have a Intel NIC which is eth1, eth0 is the onboard NIC, but there was some driver issue so i have it disabled and put a Intel Card into the box.
    Network is a Fritzbox 7390 acting as Modem and DHCP/Wlan Router ( 192.168.178.1 ).
    OMV Box is behand a switch that is connected to one of the LAN Ports of the Router.
    Main Desktop is also connected to a LAN Port of the Router.

It works flawlessly when any LAN Client is also running. But 90% of the time when i shut down the last running LAN Client( the router and small fileserver on it is still running & several WLAN Clients are still running), OMV logs

Code
    "Dec 18 22:25:47 omv00 kernel: [14140.368343] e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Down".

As you can imagine, can't connect to the machine.
    After i turn my desktop on again :

Code
    Dec 18 22:36:55 omv00 kernel: [14808.405213] e1000e: eth1 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: Rx/Tx

Tried both DHCP mode for eth1 and manually entering ip/gateway, problem consists.
    I guess it is either a configuration problem or a driver problem but i don't know enough about that stuff to get behind it.

ifconfig:

dmesg NIC Info:

Code
    root@omv00:~# dmesg | grep 'Intel' 
    [1.566972] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 2.3.2-k
    [    1.566977] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2013 Intel Corporation.
    [    1.672286] e1000e 0000:01:00.0: eth1: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

Would appreciate any help i can get :)

• the problem could be related to one similar issue i got here .
    The solution was to remove the gateway and dns configuration from the secondary network card .
    In my case i have a network card for internet access where i control witch ports will be opened , and i have another network card eth1 witch is to work locally .
    On eth0 only the service i need will be opened , while on eth1 every service is working (ssh , web interface) .

Edit your /etc/network/interfaces
    and remove the gateway and dns name servers from eth1 configuration .
    then reboot and see if both cards are working now .

• the gateway and dns name server are to be disable on eth1if you want both cards working .
    If you need only eth1 working and eth0 offline then you should setup dns and gateway on eth1 .
    edit your /etc/network/interfaces and put it right this :

In case you are using static IP address on eth1 follow this example and change ips according your network configuration :

the difference between static and dhcp configuration , is that you may get a different ip address everytime you reboot your openmedia server , and if it changes to another new ip then you mst reconfigure again your modem port forward to that new ip of the server .

• I knew the difference between static and dhcp :) was just asking if you meant to set it to manual or static. But yes I only want eth1 working so it doesnt matter

My current config already looks pretty much like you said:

I am only missing the dns-search entry.
    but because of the dns-nameservers entry, i don't see that it should be a problem.

• over your server terminal run this :

Zitat

ifdown eth0
    ifdown eth1

then write this command :

Zitat

ifup eth1

then check with ifconfig if eth1 is up .

Note :
    you are getting 2 gateways from that configuration , one is the static ip from eth1 , and the other is the dhcp from eth0 .

remove anything related to eth0 and leave eth1 configuration .
    then run "ifup eth1"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!