shared folder on the system disk

• Hi good afternoon, on a day of elections in Spain

a question:

how can I add a shared folder on the installation disk OMV, I mean the drive where the system is installed

I say this because it is an SSD and wanted to use his speed to install folder database Emby and Plex, among other things, to use the space for free

thank you very much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to repartition the system disk and add an additional partition.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have some shares on the system disk, but they were configured by hand as "Extra options" in the SMB/CIFS settings page. They will not appear or be referenced anywhere in the Web GUI, so everything about them must be set up by hand. Probably not the best way to do this, but for me it was a one time thing and I have not needed to touch them since.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You need to repartition the system disk and add an additional partition.

ok, I dont know that i could mount another system disk partition, very interesting, i review it, thanks

I have some shares on the system disk, but they were configured by hand as "Extra options" in the SMB/CIFS settings page. They will not appear or be referenced anywhere in the Web GUI, so everything about them must be set up by hand. Probably not the best way to do this, but for me it was a one time thing and I have not needed to touch them since.

ok also is another option to make the most of the space but what is more need to appear in the WebUI to establish it as a cache of various services. thanks too

• There is a better way....

cd /
    mkdir test
    cd /media/uuid/ (whatever uuid you want)
    ln -s /test test

Then go to shared folders in the Web GUI.
    click add.
    On the volume field select the volume that matches the uuid above.
    Now on the Path field click on the far right click on the folder with the spyglass.
    Select test and the click on OK.
    In the Name line put test as the name.
    Now click on save.

Now still in the Shared Folders highlight test and click on privileges.
    Add read/write to your main user.

Now go to Service/ SMB/CIFS / then click on the shares TAB
    Click on add and the in the Shared Folder drop down select test.
    Click on save.

Now in command line:
    cd /
    chmod 775 test

Done... You can name the folder whatever you want but in this example I used test.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a better way....

Easier... yes. Better... not really. If you fill the drive when using the symlink method, you are locked out of the web interface. You can't see any of the filesystem information in the web interface either.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Valid points. I think this should only be used by more experienced users. This problem with the system drive filesystem info and collectd has only been with Wheezy. Hopefully that will be gone with Jessie.

Anyway, I don't think it hurts to put ideas out there that may be improved upon....

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree it is a good method but just wanted to point out the gui lockout problem for those who are not good with the command line.

• Ok thanks to all, i'll test all posibilities

edit:

ok I did everything as you say but I have these errors:

in ftp:

and in sbm all works ok

• Hello.
    How can mount folder in omv 3 ?

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 3.x is no different from 2.x in that area.

• I tried to do wrote tekkb in the fifth post, but no working :/

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I don't think symlinking is the right idea, I would make the shared folder first. Repartitioning is still the better idea.

• Any advice on how best to repartition the system drive if the system is headless? I see in the 'backup' plugin that gparted offers advice NOT to try running this on a headless system. Am I going to need to dig out some cables and move the box, or are there any short cuts?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you know how to putty into the box via ssh and use xming, systemrescuecd would work great. Explaining this is less work than you connecting a monitoring though.

• While I understand that the situation is the same in OMV3 as in 2, I think I have a slightly different setup with this problem.

I installed on top of jessie-netinstall like volker described in http://forum.openmediavault.or…?postID=133044#post133044.
    Its a simple UEFI install with 500MB /boot partition, 8GB swap.
    The rest is BTRFS with separate subvolumes @ and @home and maybe things like /var/cache in the future (so I could apply quotas not letting it fill up my SSD).

I would like to have Samba home shares, but I cannot create a shared folder for my subvolume @home.
    As I understand this is still the limitation with missing BTRFS support, describe here:
    http://forum.openmediavault.or…-to-setup-shared-folders/

I guess this is linked to this feature request, but it hasn't been updated for a year.
    http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1461

Is there a way to create a shared folder for the @home subvolume?
    Do I have to do the symlink trick proposed by tekkb?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to create a shared folder for the @home subvolume?

Nope.

Do I have to do the symlink trick proposed by tekkb?

No. If you don't enable home directories Access Rights Management -> User -> Settings, when you enable home directories in samba, it will use whatever the home directory in /etc/passwd is for the user. Just change the home directory there and you should be able to use that location for samba home directory only.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!